I haven't gotten a new ski jacket in way too many years and have been slumming it with various pieces of gear. So, the question is, what should I get? Here's a starting point for recommendations:
- I really like the Patagonia Primo Flash jacket. The only catch is, I've only seen it with a hood and I don't want a hood unless it's detachable (so note: no hood). Do they make a version without a hood?
- Vents are important. I don't have a preference whether they're pit zips or anywhere else.
- Insulation is important too. I don't like the thin shell / midweight fleece layering thing. I know, that's a better way to go, but my average ski day is probably a lot different than yours. Usually I'm throwing on a jacket and jumping on the lift for 3 or 4 runs and then back in. So, I want one jacket with halfway decent insulation that'll suffice for most of my ski days. Then on the colder days I can add another layer. The less gear I tote around, the better. The Patagonia jacket above seems to have the right amount of insulation.
- I can probably get pro form or shop form on Patagonia, Cloudveil, and Salomon. I'm not so sure about Arc'Teryx or Marmot.
- Has anyone used Ground jackets? I've seen some deals on them, but I don't know anything about them or seen them in a shop.
- Any shop owners out there want to do a cash deal to clear out some old inventory?