New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I Need Your Help! - Page 2

post #31 of 48
Steamboat and the Yampa River.
post #32 of 48

Epic Ski member Wigs is an instructor in Snowmass who also guides (like many other instructors in Aspen)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

Even though the Frying Pan is more famous, many of my friends prefer the Roaring Fork.   Scotty Nichols is a good guide. 
 
post #33 of 48

For an article, I'm thinking primarily eye-candy rivers, so eg Big Sky & its famous rivers.

Likewise NC, VT, or NH resorts and smallmouth bass.  NH/Canada and pike. 

ME and pike and brookies.

There's also the "going small," 3 wt and hop-across, angle.  Basically anywhere there's skiing, there's fishing.  Just as there are some inbounds areas @ say, Jackson that locals would be not-happy to see in print, some small stream or high-country fishing may be cool to write about, some not. 

 

Also biathlon:  I think it's fair to say there are also some areas where you can go on a guided backcountry or sidecountry ski tour with fishin' gear and support the local economy while getting a quality lifestyle experience.   

 

 

 

post #34 of 48
I can't believe no one has mentioned skiing the Boat and fishing the Yampa in the afternoon.

steamboat Springs has the yampa flowing right through town and has some great public access as well as some spots where if you ask will alow you access. Also, about four miles from town Elk Creek as well as Steamboat Lake have some great fishing spots.

There are a few real good fly shops right on Lincoln Street. Wish I could remember their names.
post #35 of 48
post #36 of 48
Thread Starter 
Thanks again everybody.  More are still appreciated.

I just got into Anchorage and will be spending the next week at Painter Creek Lodge.

Guess what I'll be doing?

post #37 of 48
Big Mountain Montana (no I will not call it by that other name) is located near some manner of big lake, apparently there are fish in it.

Montana Snowbowl is about a half hour from from a river with fish in it, they made a movie about it.



Edited by volantaddict - 9/4/09 at 10:34pm
post #38 of 48
 

Edited by telerod15 - 9/6/09 at 4:29am
post #39 of 48
I posted a TR on fishing someof the private waters in July.  Bucking Rainbow is my favorite outfitter and guide.  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post

I can't believe no one has mentioned skiing the Boat and fishing the Yampa in the afternoon.

steamboat Springs has the yampa flowing right through town and has some great public access as well as some spots where if you ask will alow you access. Also, about four miles from town Elk Creek as well as Steamboat Lake have some great fishing spots.

There are a few real good fly shops right on Lincoln Street. Wish I could remember their names.
post #40 of 48
Hogadon and the mighty North Platte, the great winter and early spring fishing make up for the small local hill.
post #41 of 48

Hey Bob,  Nobody has mentioned Mammoth and the Owens River.  Great for both in the spring!

post #42 of 48
Crested Butte and the Gunnison, Taylor and a bunch of great small mountain lakes.

For something different - Ski Roundtop in PA and kayak fishing the mighty (it's a mile wide) Susquehanna River for smallmouth bass.

Me fishing from my yak:

post #43 of 48
Probably too late for the article, but another fun angle, pun inadvertent, would be slam-friendly rivers or lakes since the mag seems aimed at the more-serious crowd.  UT has a several rivers close to ski areas where guides can offer a good chance @cutthroat, brown, brook & rainbow in one day, for instance, if you ask them for it. 

There's also a technique angle.  E.g., if you wanted to learn Spanish & French nymphing, skiing or riding (yes, snowboarders have been known to long line) @Jackson & then hiring a guide or hooking up with locals could be a good way to get an intro in a quality setting with a high level of knowledge coming fr the community there.
post #44 of 48
Sun Valley.  The Big Wood River and Silver Creek.

Book: Silver Creek - Idaho's Fly Fishing Paradise
post #45 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKook View Post

Probably too late for the article, but another fun angle, pun inadvertent, would be slam-friendly rivers or lakes since the mag seems aimed at the more-serious crowd.  UT has a several rivers close to ski areas where guides can offer a good chance @cutthroat, brown, brook & rainbow in one day, for instance, if you ask them for it. 

There's also a technique angle.  E.g., if you wanted to learn Spanish & French nymphing, skiing or riding (yes, snowboarders have been known to long line) @Jackson & then hiring a guide or hooking up with locals could be a good way to get an intro in a quality setting with a high level of knowledge coming fr the community there.

With regard to Utah and slams...

I'm going to brag about my wife.  About 15 years ago my wife was just learning to flyfish.  One day she and I went fishing on the Upper Provo east of Kamas.  She stood in one spot on the stream and in the course of about an hour she caught cutthroat trout, brown trout, rainbow trout, brook trout, and grayling.  All this on the same elk hair caddis dry fly. 

That's all four main trout species PLUS a couple of extremely rare grayling.  That's a real slam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Sun Valley.  The Big Wood River and Silver Creek.

Book: Silver Creek - Idaho's Fly Fishing Paradise

Thanks for the suggestion.  The article actually came out several months ago and I included Sun Valley and Silver Creek in it.
post #46 of 48
Here are a few more from Calif-

Bear Valley, Calif/ Lake Alpine and the Stanislaus River (later spring try Highlands Lakes), Spicer, Union/Utica Reservoirs
Kirkwood, Calif/ Caples Lake, Silver Lake, and the Mokelumne River (or on the way back to Tahoe, stop in Hope Valley)
Badger Flats (oops- Badger Pass), Yosemite, Calif/ Merced River

And right now, the Gore Creek through Vail and the Eagle River are fishing really well! Water is rising, but not getting cloudy yet from runoff. See what happens with this 1-2 feet of new we got yesterday and last night!
post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman View Post

Hey Bob,  Nobody has mentioned Mammoth and the Owens River.  Great for both in the spring!


I have flyfished in Utah, wyoming, eastern sierra, tahoe, upper sac/mccloud and the pacific northwest; and the mammoth area is the best flyfishing I have found.  

Hot creek by the Mammoth airport fishes well all year round, as does the Owens River.

Lake tahoe has the truckee which fishes all year long, but the truckee is a tough river, a great day on the truckee is 6 trout.  

Southern california has big bear lake, not sure if it is open to fishing in winter, but I would only give it and the san gabriel a 2 out of 10.  Actually the SG would get more like a 4, small wild trout, for being LA it is good.

Mt hood has the sandy river for all year steelhead and salmon fishing, Bachelor has many lakes and trout streams, plus the deschuttes in the madras area, a great steelhead fishery (for the lower 48 that is).  Almost anyplace in or/wa there will be great steelhead fishing.
post #48 of 48
Hi Bob.   Ski in late Feb, March and/or April.  Depends on the weather for the fishing on the Clark Fork out of St. Regis Montana.  The lull between real winter and the spring snow melt can be very good fishing on the Clark Fork.  Skawala patterns or size 10/12 Prince Nymphs work pretty good.  About 25 minutes to Lookout Pass ski area and about 50 minutes from Silver Mt. to St. Regis. Rainbows.  Can't remember the name right now but there is a motel in Superior Mt., that gives lift ticket discounts.  Ski with the owner, ok place.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion