"The end of an era, Toni Sailer dead at 73" (SkiRacing.com)
Related Forum Threads
- Not the Best Ever, But Almost Last post on 12/26/09 at 2:33pm in Racing and Big Mountain Competitions
- One of the great ones Last post on 8/26/09 at 1:47pm in General Skiing Discussion
- May-June issue of Skiing History now online Last post on 6/8/16 at 9:28am in General Skiing Discussion
- First Skiing History Day at Whistler Last post on 2/29/16 at 8:15pm in General Skiing Discussion
- January-February issue of Skiing History is in the mail, with memorial to Stein Eriksen,... Last post on 1/21/16 at 11:45am in General Skiing Discussion
Hannes Schneider Father Of Modern Skiing
Last edited: 4/27/11
- EpicSki Interview with James NiehuesLast edited: 9/14/16
- ACL Injuries and Downhill Skiing: How to Prevent Them and Still be...Last edited: 11/16/15
- Ski Racing BasicsLast edited: 5/8/13
- Hot Dog...Return of Bobbie Burns and The SkiLast edited: 2/8/13
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
R.I.P. Toni Sailerpost #1 of 128/25/09 at 7:20amThread Starterpost #2 of 128/25/09 at 8:31ampost #3 of 128/25/09 at 9:13ampost #4 of 128/25/09 at 11:21ampost #5 of 128/25/09 at 5:58pmKilly was Grenoble 1968. Toni was a gent. I had the good fortune to work for him in the mid '70s with Nancy at the Whistler summer camp. Good sense of humor. Class act.post #6 of 128/26/09 at 12:51pmpost #7 of 128/27/09 at 1:38ampost #8 of 128/27/09 at 4:20amThat is awesome! The course was so bumpy, would be cool to see modern skiers take on something like that. Only thing that comes close is Val Gardena DH. Someone posted an airborne photo of Sailer in which his position looked really similar to current downhillers.
Great stuff. So, in the video, every wipeout pretty much a broken leg, right? We're on non-release bindings at that point, no? And skis with or without edges?post #9 of 128/27/09 at 11:26amAll I could think is that (without negating the athletes of todays skiing world) Those guys/gals had to be tremendously athletic to use the gear of the day, on the terrain of the day and accomplish what they did.
I think I looked like this the whole time I watched that video...post #10 of 128/28/09 at 5:56amHere is a great quote from the end of the long obit in the NY Times (8/25)
Newsweek wrote in 1996 that Sailer “seemed to embody the pure mystique of skiing.”
“His courage and skill drove even his competitors to lyric flights,” the magazine added, then contributed one of its own:
“He is gentle with the snow. The language that the skis talk through the feet, to the legs and body, is a language unknown to most men and women, but is the whisper Sailer understands best.”post #11 of 128/28/09 at 5:52pmpost #12 of 129/4/09 at 4:18pmToni was a great friend to all the staff and campers at the Toni Sailer Summer Ski Camp back in the 70's. I feel honored to have met him there during those wonderful summers. A great spirit and one of the best skiers ever. He will be missed!
- R.I.P. Toni Sailer
- EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 20 minutes ago
- › Ski Instructor Demo: Short video of TDK skiing in St Anton 21 minutes ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 23 minutes ago
- › Boutique Vs Big Brands: Which do you prefer? 31 minutes ago
- › Accessing the Powder Highway from Calgary 53 minutes ago
- › Ski Powder Highway 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › Big Sky 2016-2017 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 1 hour, 23 minutes ago
- › FS Savory 7 2014, 177 cm 1 hour, 32 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer