"The end of an era, Toni Sailer dead at 73" (SkiRacing.com)
Related Forum Threads
- Not the Best Ever, But Almost Last post on 12/26/09 at 2:33pm in Racing and Big Mountain Competitions
- One of the great ones Last post on 8/26/09 at 1:47pm in General Skiing Discussion
- May-June issue of Skiing History now online Last post on 6/8/16 at 9:28am in General Skiing Discussion
- First Skiing History Day at Whistler Last post on 2/29/16 at 8:15pm in General Skiing Discussion
- January-February issue of Skiing History is in the mail, with memorial to Stein Eriksen,... Last post on 1/21/16 at 11:45am in General Skiing Discussion
Hannes Schneider Father Of Modern Skiing
Last edited: 4/27/11
- A Brief History of Alpine SkiingLast edited: 2/13/17
- EpicSki Interview with James NiehuesLast edited: 9/14/16
- ACL Injuries and Downhill Skiing: How to Prevent Them and Still be...Last edited: 11/16/15
- Ski Racing BasicsLast edited: 5/8/13
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
R.I.P. Toni Sailerpost #1 of 128/25/09 at 7:20amThread Starterpost #2 of 128/25/09 at 8:31ampost #3 of 128/25/09 at 9:13ampost #4 of 128/25/09 at 11:21ampost #5 of 128/25/09 at 5:58pmKilly was Grenoble 1968. Toni was a gent. I had the good fortune to work for him in the mid '70s with Nancy at the Whistler summer camp. Good sense of humor. Class act.post #6 of 128/26/09 at 12:51pmpost #7 of 128/27/09 at 1:38ampost #8 of 128/27/09 at 4:20amThat is awesome! The course was so bumpy, would be cool to see modern skiers take on something like that. Only thing that comes close is Val Gardena DH. Someone posted an airborne photo of Sailer in which his position looked really similar to current downhillers.
Great stuff. So, in the video, every wipeout pretty much a broken leg, right? We're on non-release bindings at that point, no? And skis with or without edges?post #9 of 128/27/09 at 11:26amAll I could think is that (without negating the athletes of todays skiing world) Those guys/gals had to be tremendously athletic to use the gear of the day, on the terrain of the day and accomplish what they did.
I think I looked like this the whole time I watched that video...post #10 of 128/28/09 at 5:56amHere is a great quote from the end of the long obit in the NY Times (8/25)
Newsweek wrote in 1996 that Sailer “seemed to embody the pure mystique of skiing.”
“His courage and skill drove even his competitors to lyric flights,” the magazine added, then contributed one of its own:
“He is gentle with the snow. The language that the skis talk through the feet, to the legs and body, is a language unknown to most men and women, but is the whisper Sailer understands best.”post #11 of 128/28/09 at 5:52pmpost #12 of 129/4/09 at 4:18pmToni was a great friend to all the staff and campers at the Toni Sailer Summer Ski Camp back in the 70's. I feel honored to have met him there during those wonderful summers. A great spirit and one of the best skiers ever. He will be missed!
- R.I.P. Toni Sailer
- A Brief History of Alpine Skiing
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 12 seconds ago
- › NorthEast One Ski Do It All... Does It Exist? 2 minutes ago
- › How fast do you ski? 5 minutes ago
- › 105-110 powder ski that can handle ice 9 minutes ago
- › Head Monster 88 review: 2016-2017 13 minutes ago
- › 2nd pair to join my 2011 Volkl Mantras in Colorado? 13 minutes ago
- › Opinions sought on Zermaat-Cervinia : How does it compare 14 minutes ago
- › MA this intermediate(ish) senior skier 18 minutes ago
- › MA my bump skiing 24 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 32 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview