or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Great Ski Movie Recommendations. What are your favorite ski-related movies?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Great Ski Movie Recommendations. What are your favorite ski-related movies?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I love movies with ski themes - here are some of my favorites.  I am always interested in new recommendations - what are your favorites?

1. Better Off Dead - John Cusack teen comedy from the mid-'80s.  The main character loses his girlfriend to the captain of the ski team - and tries to win her back by learning to ski the "K12" - the most impossible run at his local mountain.

2. Ski Party - early '60s Frankie Avalon/Annette Funicello surf movie-type ski movie.  The highlights are when James Brown (yes, that James Brown) and Little Stevie Wonder (at about 14 years old) perform at the ski chalet.

3. Aspen Extreme - small town Michigan ski bums move to Aspen to prove their prowess on the slopes and with the babes.

4. Steep - a couple years old documentary about the history of "Extreme" skiing.  Examines lives and careers of extreme skiers.  Great commentary by aging pioneers reflecting on a lifetime of thrillseeking/risk taking.  The movie was in commercial release just a couple years ago.

5. Snowball Express - really BAD early '70's Disney movie with Dean Jones.  Main character inherits a mountain resort in Colorado which gives him the perceived freedom to quit his boring corporate job to move out west to run the resort.  Of course, the "resort" is really a wreck of an old boarding house.  His family then builds a ski lift and markets their new ski resort.  I fondly remember watching this movie in my youth and really wanting to be one of the kids in the family and to run my own resort.

6. Blizzard of Ahhhs!  Glen Plake's first big movie.  Cool, neon colors and '80s hair.
post #2 of 16
 
post #3 of 16
Sabrina (1954)
post #4 of 16
Downhill Racer (1969) with Robert Redford.  He joins the US Ski Team and clashes with the coach because he's not a "team player".

Mike
post #5 of 16
 I would say ski scenes in multiple Bond movies are better than any Warren Miller production, and also the snowboard avalanche run in XXX was quite something. 
post #6 of 16
 Nolo is right,
Steep is a ski movie that makes most other ski movies look like travelog at the rotary.  
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

 Nolo is right,
Steep is a ski movie that makes most other ski movies look like travelog at the rotary.  

 
Agreed.

"Steep" is far and away the best movie about hard-core skiing (and hard-core skiers) that's ever been done.

That said, I'm totally on board with "Downhill Racer", "Aahs", "Aspen Extreme", and the Bond movies.  And even though it's a terrible movie, I just have to smile every time I think about "Hot Dog...The Movie" - every worn-out cliche about skiing is proudly on display.  
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorSkiRuns View Post

I love movies with ski themes - here are some of my favorites.  I am always interested in new recommendations - what are your favorites?

1. Better Off Dead - John Cusack teen comedy from the mid-'80s.  The main character loses his girlfriend to the captain of the ski team - and tries to win her back by learning to ski the "K12" - the most impossible run at his local mountain.

2. Ski Party - early '60s Frankie Avalon/Annette Funicello surf movie-type ski movie.  The highlights are when James Brown (yes, that James Brown) and Little Stevie Wonder (at about 14 years old) perform at the ski chalet.

3. Aspen Extreme - small town Michigan ski bums move to Aspen to prove their prowess on the slopes and with the babes.

4. Steep - a couple years old documentary about the history of "Extreme" skiing.  Examines lives and careers of extreme skiers.  Great commentary by aging pioneers reflecting on a lifetime of thrillseeking/risk taking.  The movie was in commercial release just a couple years ago.

5. Snowball Express - really BAD early '70's Disney movie with Dean Jones.  Main character inherits a mountain resort in Colorado which gives him the perceived freedom to quit his boring corporate job to move out west to run the resort.  Of course, the "resort" is really a wreck of an old boarding house.  His family then builds a ski lift and markets their new ski resort.  I fondly remember watching this movie in my youth and really wanting to be one of the kids in the family and to run my own resort.

6. Blizzard of Ahhhs!  Glen Plake's first big movie.  Cool, neon colors and '80s hair.




Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckimson View Post

Downhill Racer (1969) with Robert Redford.  He joins the US Ski Team and clashes with the coach because he's not a "team player".

Mike

^^^^ got most of those
I would add:
Hot Dog The Movie
Ski School
Dumb and Dumber ----for a laugh that is, great snowball fight in it.
post #9 of 16
personally my I feel that "Believe" by tanner hall and cp has to be considered

it is truly just about good skiing, not fluff or blatant presentation of sponsors

still, I own steep, its a classic.
post #10 of 16
Ski School is definitely on the list.  Johnny Tsunami anyone?

I'd also love to see "Swift. Silent. Deep" the story of the Jackson Hole Air Force.  It comes out this fall, if I'm not mistaken.
post #11 of 16
My favorite ski movie and what brought me to Epic in the first place after I googled Hart Javelins is 'The Incredible Ski'. It is a hart promotion film for the Javelins with Art Furrer and Roger Staub. I used to watch this film at my parent's inn in the mid '60s. Now on DVD.

MR
post #12 of 16
Rented "Deep Winter" last night.  Won't get an Oscar, but some amazing lines being skied.

MR, agree on "The Incredible Ski".  That and "The Mobius Flip", really did change my prospective of skiing.
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
For any German speakers here - a great movie is Der Schwarze Blitz (1958). http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0052165/

In this German "Heimatfilm", Toni Sailer, who won three golds in downhill skiing for Austria in the 1956 winter olympics, plays a skier who is falsely accused - (or is he?) - of stealing his rival's wax and causing his rival's training injuries by moving one of the gates on the downhill race course.

I saw this on TV in Germany and it is my favorite movie of the Heimat genre - mostly because of the Alpine views and magnificent ski scenes in garishly beautiful late-50s color. It is the best movie ever made that features a skier bombing down the mountain while playing the accordion.

I frankly don't remember much more about the plot, except that the rival is a well-married local who has returned to win the big ski race, there is a girl, an orphan and a mountain rescue - in other words, all the requisite elements of a great heimatfilm. If you like skiing, gripping drama and good clean Tyrolian fun, this movie's for you.

post #14 of 16


















 


Edited by MWskier - 8/8/2009 at 10:33 pm GMT
Edited by MWskier - 8/8/2009 at 10:48 pm GMT
post #15 of 16
The best movie about skiing is "Fire on the Mountain".

From the New York Times:
http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9803EEDE173FF935A35751C1A960958260

"The inspiring documentary ''Fire on the Mountain'' describes the bracing exploits of the 10th Mountain Division of the United States Army, an elite ski corps that came into being just before the United States entered World War II. The hearty outdoorsmen recruited for this mission proved to be lifelong athletes, looking fit and healthy in their 70's and 80's as they reminisce about their adventures, wartime and otherwise. As this film by Beth Gage and George Gage makes clear, they have certainly left their mark."

post #16 of 16
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Great Ski Movie Recommendations. What are your favorite ski-related movies?