EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › recommendation on pedals for XC mtn bike
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

recommendation on pedals for XC mtn bike - Page 3

post #61 of 80

Haha, yeah, I forgot about the Looks. Good luck finding the exotic accessory for a long gone component that never had significant market share. I don't know anyone else who would have a better chance of finding them though, if they can be found.

post #62 of 80

I already went through the bins at Gtown, Proteus, and TBS.    Next stop: Revolution & CHB.

 

I'm 80% sure LB has them but I don't think I will ask.

post #63 of 80

I run these on my Ritchy Breakaway Cross travel bike....

 

nice pedal

 

post #64 of 80

I just ordered a new set of ATAC Carbons today. Was gonna do the Ti Carbons in order to double the price and save a whopping 30 grams. That was until I looked closer at the specs and saw that one of the weight saving measures is that they wrap the springs around Al axles instead of Stainless ones. With my new bike's low BB, I can't see those pedals surviving the summer.

post #65 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

To all, just talking with Phil, Anyone up for Diablo park June 22 or 29th (both Monday's).  Please let us know.

 

 


OMG that looks like fun
http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=5673102&postcount=154
post #66 of 80
I try to keep Crank Bros. <eggbeater> SL's on all my bikes. I think the mud clearance is <unbeatable> They don't last forever, but I think they are the best. They do last quite a while if you keep the bearings lubed every so often. I have fried the bearings with neglect. I also had a problem with a locknut just spinning on some Candy SL's.

The new Times <look> pertty nice. I've used the older style ATAC and carbon ATAC. The ATAC's, had one bearing and a bushing. Sometimes they wouldn't spin smoothly. I've also bent the carbon steel axles. I have managed to clog both types of these with mud. The carbon ATAC would get slicker than slippery snot in the rain.

Shimano - I've had several varities. Hard to get them to release with equal pressure, on the early ones. Worst mud clearance of these 3 brands, in my opiniion. Had one slip the spring, off the shackle. I just don't care for them. I trade them off when I get them (This keeps Weber and Joey happy). But, I run a set of magnesium K2 SPD clones on my road bike (yes, I wear MTB shoes on the road).
post #67 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnys Zoo View Post

I try to keep Crank Bros. <eggbeater> SL's on all my bikes. I think the mud clearance is <unbeatable> They don't last forever, but I think they are the best. They do last quite a while if you keep the bearings lubed every so often. I have fried the bearings with neglect. I also had a problem with a locknut just spinning on some Candy SL's.
+1

You can usually find some great deals on eggbeaters on the internet, too. There's also a pretty easy DIY kit for servicing eggbeaters when they get a little old. In my experience, Crank Bros. would replace anything that I hadn't been able to fix with the kit myself. A quick call to them and a Return Authorization number, and I'd have a new pair of pedals. They've always been very nice and apologetic when the kit was unable to fix my problem. Lifetime warranty = happiness!
post #68 of 80
I don't think there is any weight difference between the XTR and 540.... so save a few, I have 540's on my road bike.  On my MTB I'm a bit of a wooz, too many SPD stacks, so I run PD-A530 pedals, half flat so I can chicken out on technical climbs and light enough that they don't look out of place on the Scott Spark. 
post #69 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post

I don't think there is any weight difference between the XTR and 540.... so save a few, I have 540's on my road bike.  On my MTB I'm a bit of a wooz, too many SPD stacks, so I run PD-A530 pedals, half flat so I can chicken out on technical climbs and light enough that they don't look out of place on the Scott Spark. 

the half flat pedals are what I was talking about when phil said platform SPDs. Those pedals are making your worse at riding. You can clear more technical climbs when clipped in then you cna on flats. Not to mention its super annoying when your trying to re clip in to have a pedal that is only one sided SPD.

SPDs are so easy to get out off. I have no clue how people can fall with them still clipped in.
post #70 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
SPDs are so easy to get out off. I have no clue how people can fall with them still clipped in.
 
You are so right, after going to the 520's, it's stupid easy to kick out and in. The 520's are a good recreational pedal with great functionality, especially for $50. A little heavier than the 540's but I didn't notice the difference from my stock Bontragers it was a huge upgrade.
post #71 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post



the half flat pedals are what I was talking about when phil said platform SPDs. Those pedals are making your worse at riding. You can clear more technical climbs when clipped in then you cna on flats. Not to mention its super annoying when your trying to re clip in to have a pedal that is only one sided SPD.
 


That is probaly true, but that is the level of comfort I need when tackeling a technical climb. And at my age I tend to break rather than bounce when I fall. And they are not that hard to get back into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post


SPDs are so easy to get out off. I have no clue how people can fall with them still clipped in.
 


Can't help it if you are such a legend.  Some of us are merely mortal.
post #72 of 80
old come on.

I usually ride with my buddies who our my age but the local club has alot of 60 + year olds that ride everything clipped in. If you feel your old or you feel your young .....your right though.

SPDS are WAY easy to get out of I ride them on wood word and almost all stunts. I feel anyone riding new SPDS would feel the same way.
post #73 of 80

 

Most of the guys (and girls) I ride with are 20 years younger than me. Some are great riders and some do multi discipline / multi day events (that serious team crap that gets onto the sports channels occasionally). One girl had a handle bar dismount last year whilst setting a course and ended up with a broken pelvis!!! Also, because of the geography (sandstone and steep hills), a lot of the trails around here are rock and sand, hence it is very easy to get bogged and often very hard to get a rhythm going, especially on technical climbs. I’m not a great technical rider, more into X-C, but pretty much the only time I unclip and ride flat is when tackling a technical climb i.e. not just uphill, but add step ups, log rollovers (how do you rollover a log when going up hill?) and the like which is done in granny gear and slower than walking pace. So please excuse me if I’m not clipped in all of the time.

Anyway, because of self preservation, I'm off skiing soon.  Thank God for winter in the Southern Hemisphere.
post #74 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post

 

Most of the guys (and girls) I ride with are 20 years younger than me. Some are great riders and some do multi discipline / multi day events (that serious team crap that gets onto the sports channels occasionally). One girl had a handle bar dismount last year whilst setting a course and ended up with a broken pelvis!!! Also, because of the geography (sandstone and steep hills), a lot of the trails around here are rock and sand, hence it is very easy to get bogged and often very hard to get a rhythm going, especially on technical climbs. I’m not a great technical rider, more into X-C, but pretty much the only time I unclip and ride flat is when tackling a technical climb i.e. not just uphill, but add step ups, log rollovers (how do you rollover a log when going up hill?) and the like which is done in granny gear and slower than walking pace. So please excuse me if I’m not clipped in all of the time.

Anyway, because of self preservation, I'm off skiing soon.  Thank God for winter in the Southern Hemisphere.

All I ride is Xc, I never ride lifts.

you do a log rollover going up hill by being explosive and being clipped in!!! there is no way you would ever clear something like that while unclipped. Honestly your post and people's post like yours will cause some good. Next time I am out its going to be clearing logs going up hill time and some instructions how to.

in simplest terms though
Its all about braapping;) aka riding with aggression and purpose.
post #75 of 80
Yes, you are right, its about explosive power, agression and purpose.  But guess what, not everyone is capable of that.  For a 50 yo I'm pretty fit and do alot more now than I used to to.  But the one thing I don't have, and rest assured one day you also will be a sad old fart having shit poured on you you some younger dick-waverl, and that is the explosive power necessary to tackle technical climbs.  Railway tracks, logs, gutters, small steps and ledges, not problems, clipped in or not.  But a series of close steps on a steep climb, I'll unclip, just because it makes me feel more comfortable. 

Give you an idea what I'm taking about

post #76 of 80
honestly thats climbable...

stay clipped in, and say you can get unclipped when you need it and you ll get it.

Thats looks really cool in fact, where is that?
post #77 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post

Yes, you are right, its about explosive power, agression and purpose.  But guess what, not everyone is capable of that.  For a 50 yo I'm pretty fit and do alot more now than I used to to.  But the one thing I don't have, and rest assured one day you also will be a sad old fart having shit poured on you you some younger dick-waverl, and that is the explosive power necessary to tackle technical climbs.  Railway tracks, logs, gutters, small steps and ledges, not problems, clipped in or not.  But a series of close steps on a steep climb, I'll unclip, just because it makes me feel more comfortable. 

Give you an idea what I'm taking about

Kevin Smith: There is always money in "dick" and "fart" jokes. 
post #78 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

honestly thats climbable...

stay clipped in, and say you can get unclipped when you need it and you ll get it.

Thats looks really cool in fact, where is that?
 

Like I said, I tackled it with agression, but the legs don't have the explosive power that they use to have (I can still kick but on the flatter sections though). 

Where is it???  Its part of the Oaks trail, in the Blue Mountains, 2 hours west of Sydney, a very pleasant 38km (one way) combination of fire trails and single track.
post #79 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post



Like I said, I tackled it with agression, but the legs don't have the explosive power that they use to have (I can still kick but on the flatter sections though). 

Where is it???  Its part of the Oaks trail, in the Blue Mountains, 2 hours west of Sydney, a very pleasant 38km (one way) combination of fire trails and single track.

Aussie!!, Aussie!! Aussie!!! oy!! ooy!!! oyyy!!

cool trail you got there take some pictures next time. and post them up
post #80 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

 



 

LOL such a JONG :)

 

you either use straight up platform(IE both Sides) or straight up SPD for Downhiling or any serious form of biking.

 

Losing your flat side of the pedal only to try to stand on a SPD side or trying to clip into a flat pedal both are very scary thoughts.

 

No serious MTB I know uses both sided Pedals and actually like them.


Edited by BushwackerinPA - 6/16/2009 at 03:34 pm GMT

Ho, hum. Colour me JONG. SPD-M324 combi pedals - suit me fine. But then I'm not even remotely serious. I can choose trainers, walking boots or my bike shoes depending on what/where I'm riding. But when I've got cleats then I'm clipped in, its not like I swap sides during the ride.


New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › recommendation on pedals for XC mtn bike