New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I Cross-Dress: Do You?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

In that, I use apparel from other sports for skiing, where applicable. Friend of mine swears by his foul-weather gear from sailing and uses it to ski too. Another friend uses a cammo Gore Tex jacket from hunting season. Me, I find that a lot of bike gear works great for skiing too:

 

-Jerseys: love the pockets in the back and the long zippers

-Helmet liners: just the right weight
-Windstop vest: works great under a softshell in spring

 

Anyone else?

post #2 of 19

Pfffft!

 

The first rule of gear whoring is that you have multiple pieces of highly specialized gear and clothing that can't be crossed over from one sport to another.

 

Or do you actually wear your mtb helmet with a visor on the road?  Or, horrors, your road helmet on the trail?

 

...

 

I like my helmet liner on the slopes, too.

post #3 of 19

I'm an avid sailor as well as an avid skier.  I have a set of offshore foulies (jacket w/hood and bibs) but I would never consider skiing in them.  They have no insulation and are designed primarily to keep liquid water out, while ski clothes are designed primarily for warmth and to keep frozen water (snow) out.  My foulies are much bulkier than my ski jacket and bibs and they're made to wear in rain or where you are getting considerable water over the bow or sides.  I prefer not to ski in the rain.  The foulies are much less versatile and convenient in terms of pockets and while my ski apparel is far from the drab/grunge look of boarders, I wouldn't be caught dead in my bright yellow/orange foulies on the slope.

 

I do cross dress the other way though.  I've worn a lot of my ski gear while sailing, including windproof/water resistent shells, fleece vests, fleece jackets, poly long underwear, wool caps, gloves (during motor transits), and gaitors.

post #4 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by prickly View Post

In that, I use apparel from other sports for skiing, where applicable. Friend of mine swears by his foul-weather gear from sailing and uses it to ski too. Another friend uses a cammo Gore Tex jacket from hunting season. Me, I find that a lot of bike gear works great for skiing too:

 

-Jerseys: love the pockets in the back and the long zippers

-Helmet liners: just the right weight
-Windstop vest: works great under a softshell in spring

 

Anyone else?

 

Heck yeah, one of my favorite frugal discoveries this past year was how well my CR-X base layers worked for cold-weather bike commutes. I'll also wear my ski glove liners underneath my biking gloves for warm fingers. If it's really frigid, balaclava or face mask it! 

 

A few of the keep-warm things works for approaching rock climbs, but I wouldn't use that stuff when on the actual rock, besides maybe a fleece. Rock and CR-X wouldn't mix well (riiiiipp).

post #5 of 19

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrophobia View Post

 

Or do you actually wear your mtb helmet with a visor on the road?  Or, horrors, your road helmet on the trail?


Yes.

I also installed eggbeaters on my road bike. Forgive me!

post #6 of 19

My first experience of skiing in the '70s I wore my mother's thick tights under my jeans. I think this might qualify.

post #7 of 19

Well, I'm the other kind of cross dresser.

 

 

 

 

I wear my ski garb when I'm not skiing.

 

It sometimes makes for a comical scene.  I really dislike the cold and my wife really dislikes the heat.  In the Spring and Fall and once in a while in the Summer, a cool night on the deck will see her in shorts and a tank top while I'm  wearing a light base layer and my ski jacket.

 

A couple of weeks ago I bought a very well cared for used ski jacket.  It's gotten a fair amount of use already.

post #8 of 19

BF, Yellow is more my color than yours.  Sure you don't want to give it up? 

post #9 of 19

Most of the clothes we wear for skiing is crossed over from other uses anyway.  Our basic soft shells are military field coats by design.  Even the old loden coats from the Hans Schneider days were takeoffs on military uniforms. 

 

Short sleeve golf mock turtlenecks are great in the spring.  Foot Joy raincoat makes a good wind shirt right down to the stretchy panels.  Ball caps don't count! 

 

Oh ya, a pair of ski gloves live in my golf bag too. 

post #10 of 19

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

BF, Yellow is more my color than yours.  Sure you don't want to give it up? 

 

Not a chance!

 

....and if you'll remember I was rocking Crystal Mtn in a yellow Roffe when you were getting ready to graduate from sixth grade =)

post #11 of 19

I wear my Dallas Cowboys starter jacket to the football games too in addition to skiing in it.

I do have a light wind suit that I wear for spring skiing or a top slicker for rain, it has a hood.  Then I can take it off and be dry underneath when the rain quits.  I need some kind of unique gig like Bunpfreaq's Mardi Gras beads.  Maybe it's time to bring back the bandanna around the leg

post #12 of 19

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

I wear my Dallas Cowboys starter jacket to the football games too in addition to skiing in it.

I do have a light wind suit that I wear for spring skiing or a top slicker for rain, it has a hood.  Then I can take it off and be dry underneath when the rain quits.  I need some kind of unique gig like Bunpfreaq's Mardi Gras beads.  Maybe it's time to bring back the bandanna around the leg

It's time cr, mosdef!

 

I remember a few years back seeing a guy ripping the zipper line on Drunken Frenchman in a Detroit Lions starter jacket.  I thought that was pretty darn cool.  When I get good enough I might just get me one of those =)

post #13 of 19

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpfreaq View Post

 

It's time cr, mosdef!

 

I remember a few years back seeing a guy ripping the zipper line on Drunken Frenchman in a Detroit Lions starter jacket.  I thought that was pretty darn cool.  When I get good enough I might just get me one of those =)


LOL, I don't really have any starter jackets yet, but as you know I do have an addiction to jerseys

www.epicski.com/forum/thread/79879/the-utterly-shameless-extroverted-how-big-is-your-sports-jersey-closet

post #14 of 19

I used to wear my "Full-Bore" leather cold-weather motorcycle/snowmobile gloves skiing on warm days, until I ruined them in an unscheduled dismount.

post #15 of 19

I wear stinky-grade LS polypro from 1985-88 under cycling jerseys come 50F weather or less.

 

You simply can't destroy these things.

post #16 of 19

I wear my ski helmet (whoops, am I able to say this) and my ski gloves cycling to work in winter when it is really, really freezing and we have a huge frost.

post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 

Seems to me that cycling offers the most crossover. I was mountain biking last week in the same sunglasses I ski in. That felt weird, though don't know why.

 

Also lounged on the beach last weekend using leftover sunscreen from the mountains. Smelled like skiing to me.

 

One thing I'd NEVER do is use my ski socks for anything but skiing. I don't even walk to the lifts in them. Precious, precious. If one gets misplaced (we don't use the L word) in the wash, I tear the house apart in an anxiety-filled frenzy.

post #18 of 19

I lent my daughter a pair of my ski socks to play soccer in on Sunday. Did not look right.

post #19 of 19
Quote:
Well, I'm the other kind of cross dresser.

 

I wear my ski garb when I'm not skiing.

 

It sometimes makes for a comical scene.  I really dislike the cold and my wife really dislikes the heat.  In the Spring and Fall and once in a while in the Summer, a cool night on the deck will see her in shorts and a tank top while I'm  wearing a light base layer and my ski jacket.

 

A couple of weeks ago I bought a very well cared for used ski jacket.  It's gotten a fair amount of use already.

 

Absolutely agree

 

Ski jacket is great for everyday use in spring or autumn. Warm, keep you dry when it is raining and breathe well :)

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion