I used to ski the X-Wave 10 in a size 27 and if I had been more patient and found a good boot fitter I would probably be skiing them today. However with my wide forefoot I had to get rid of them because they were causing nerve pains and bunion growths. That said I bought my replacement boot from the same ski shop and was put into the Lange Comp 120 MF in a size 10.5. The forefoot was still not wide enough so there were plenty of return visits getting the boot stretched and bunion punches done. The forefoot now fits better even though it is still a bit tight. The thing is that I noticed that the instep is tight and the heel pocket is loose. The heel is likely loose due to the wrong size. I say this because I have been told recently that I am really a 27.5 so should be in a 27 boot. Aside from the boot size differences I find the two boots ski much differently and want to know if it is strictly because of the size differences or is it also because of other factors like ramp angle, forward lean, flex rating, cuff height and angle? Does anyone have any information on these two boots that might help me when finding a replacement because there were things I liked about the X-Wave 10 that I did not feel in the Comp 120.
Related Forum Threads
- Cut losses or keep going? Last post on 12/6/12 at 8:19pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Barking Bears Are Right! Boots Are #1 Piece of Equipment! Last post on 4/13/10 at 1:50pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Boot buying - do I need a custom fitting? Last post on 10/16/16 at 5:36am in Ski Gear Discussion
- Is off-piste skiing hard on knees? Last post on 10/4/16 at 8:47pm in Fitness, Health, Nutrition, Injury, and Recovery
- Flex for a 6'3" 200lbs beginner? Last post on 7/25/16 at 9:16am in Ski Gear Discussion
How To Get Your Boots On And Off
Last edited: 2/24/12
- Your Ski Socks DO Make a Difference!Last edited: 1/21/12
- MasterfitLast edited: 4/25/11
- The Birdcage Boot Experiment By David MacphailLast edited: 12/15/12
- The Foot And Its Role In Skiing By David MacphailLast edited: 12/15/12
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Difference between 2005 Salomon X-Wave 10 and 2005 Lange Comp 120 MF?post #2 of 54/21/09 at 6:22amQuote:
"Ask the Boot Guys" forum.
post #3 of 54/21/09 at 9:48amThread Starterpost #4 of 54/21/09 at 8:13pm
I have owned both the X-Wave 10 and previous year's ancestor to your Comp 120. Unclear why you went from one to the other, since they are very different in nearly every respect you mention and a few you don't, such as basic mission. (X-Wave 10 more a all-mountain do everything boot, 120 more of a hardpack/frontside aggro boot.) You don't want a 120 flex if you're skiing pow at Jay unless you weigh over 200 lbs.
IMO, you shoulda stayed with Sollies, which are known for having wider forefoot and narrower heels than any others I know. Langes are just narrow the whole way, especially in front, would take a bunch of mods and still probably not fit right. Plus you bought them two sizes too big. Imagine what the front would feel like if the ankle fit.
Suggest the following: Lose the Langes. If you still have the X-Waves, go recover them and work some more on the front. If you don't, look for a pair of 27 Impact 10's on sale in the next few months. Ideally, from a good fitter. But right now they're running about 4 benjamins on line, it'll just get better. And then go to a real fitter.post #5 of 54/21/09 at 8:31pmThread Starter
Thanks for the advice. I am almost 200 pounds and was about that when I bought the Lange boot. I do not have the X Waves but have been contemplating giving that line another chance. I think my biggest problem was not having custom footbeds at that time. That said, I have recently tried the Impact Pro boots and they fit pretty good out of the box using my custom footbed, very little work would probably be required. My only concern is this a good freeride boot? I had the Dalbello Krypton and really liked the cushioned boot board for drops and jumps, the rest of my owning that boot is another story. I have tried the Salomon Ghost and it fits ok but would require work right were that strange forefoot buckle or ridge is and I think that stretching that area would impact the shape and footboard despite being told it could be done. Not sure this is the right approach but I like the idea of buying the stiffer boot Impact Pro over the Impact 10 and if needed removing one or more of the flex bolts in the back. I feel the stiffer boot gives good options for drastically changing temperatures such as that found at Jay. I also like that the top end boot usually has the thinnest liner giving the best performance and snow feel.
Your points on the differences between the top boots confirms what I had thought I was experiencing. Something else besides the fit of the Lange boot was just not working with me and did not give me the same experience I had with the Salomon boot.
- Difference between 2005 Salomon X-Wave 10 and 2005 Lange Comp 120 MF?
- Your Ski Socks DO Make a Difference!
- › How many sizes of skis will my child go through? 7 minutes ago
- › Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Repair and Rehab 18 minutes ago
- › Bode News 26 minutes ago
- › what is the best advice you have on accident documentation? 35 minutes ago
- › Ski size question 42 minutes ago
- › Hard ear racing helmet for oddly shaped U10 head 45 minutes ago
- › AirBnB and VRBO Versus Ski Town Zoning Ordinances 56 minutes ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, MD,... 1 hour, 55 minutes ago
- › Ski dimensions advice [2nd season in WA, bought used Solomon Scream W] 2 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer