EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Why don't you wear a helmet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why don't you wear a helmet? - Page 2

post #31 of 47

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post

 

First of all, with like a dozen threads on the topic, Lars be trolling.  Politely trollin, but trollin nonetheless.

 

x 2!

post #32 of 47

I'd just say x 3 but that would be a cop out . Yeah x 3. What the hell, 

How many is this, six ?  I'll go find another.  Game on.

post #33 of 47
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post

 

First of all, with like a dozen threads on the topic, Lars be trolling.  Politely trollin, but trollin nonetheless.

 

My post responded to Lars actual point, as opposed to the strawman.  He doesn't actually care about the question in the title.  He wants to complain about how some evil "someone" is going to force him or others to wear a helmet.  My analysis is that this isn't likely.

 

I'd never, ever be arrogant enough to tell Lars, or you, or any thinking adult what they should put on their head on a winter day.


But you are arrogant enough to quote my post, yet change the words in the box to suit your choosing. I don't object to anyone quoting me, but don't change the words in the quote and put my name near them.
 

 

Post 15 of yours, you added safety brakes instead of helmets, and then add originally posted by Lars.

obviously, you did this for a reason. Arrogance?

post #34 of 47

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you.  Seriously.  I was trying to make a point, I should have made the changes bold and pointed out where I changed it, or not done it at all.

 

The point is that safety brakes are a safety device with much clearer advantages than helmets.  They are used by near 100% of alpine skiers, yet no ski area I know of has actually required them.  There just isn't any good reason to require them.  Why piss off that old guy who likes his old gear with straps?  Ski areas are for the most part not liable for you hitting your head and hurting yourself.  They have no incentive to make you wear a helmet.

 

Governments in much of the country don't even make you wear a helmet on a motorcycle, where the advantages are much more clear than they are on skis.  I fail to see why they'd regulate something as niche and generally safe as skiing when they don't bother regulating that.

post #35 of 47

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you.  Seriously.  I was trying to make a point, I should have made the changes bold and pointed out where I changed it, or not done it at all.

 

The point is that safety brakes are a safety device with much clearer advantages than helmets.  They are used by near 100% of alpine skiers, yet no ski area I know of has actually required them.  There just isn't any good reason to require them.  Why piss off that old guy who likes his old gear with straps?  Ski areas are for the most part not liable for you hitting your head and hurting yourself.  They have no incentive to make you wear a helmet.

 

Governments in much of the country don't even make you wear a helmet on a motorcycle, where the advantages are much more clear than they are on skis.  I fail to see why they'd regulate something as niche and generally safe as skiing when they don't bother regulating that.



 

The local area where I ski REQUIRES "brakes or straps" on skis and snowboards used in the area - at least once per year I still see someone with straps on skis - I have not yet seen brakes on a snowboard only straps - but someone will invent a brake for a snowboard someday.

 

Lars, why aren't you railing aganst the required use of straps on snowboards, don't think they release and run away very often but I may be wrong!!

post #36 of 47
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2ski View Post

 



 

The local area where I ski REQUIRES "brakes or straps" on skis and snowboards used in the area - at least once per year I still see someone with straps on skis - I have not yet seen brakes on a snowboard only straps - but someone will invent a brake for a snowboard someday.

 

Lars, why aren't you railing aganst the required use of straps on snowboards, don't think they release and run away very often but I may be wrong!!


The issue with snowboard straps wasn't the fact they were coming off the boarder. The fact that boarders have a habit of taking their boards off and sit around in the snow, or strap in, and their board becomes a missle sliding down the slope when they drop it or lose grip on it. I have treated more than a few injuries of this cause before teathers were made manditory, at least at my resort.
 

 

I think ski brakes might just be the most inovative improvements to the ski industry. I have no issue with that.

post #37 of 47

Yep, that is my experience...the hill requires brakes or straps or whatever....they don't really care if you want to flail skis around, just that you don't hurt someone else.  Which is as it should be.

 

I've seen a runaway snowboard break an arm in a big way. Someone sleeping in the runout of a large and popular bowl with plentiful natural hazards like falling ice, not to mention falling snowboards.  Stupid hurts.  As it should.

 

I've only worn straps with snowboards and tele gear.  I need to look more closely to find the guys still rocking the old school gear. :)

post #38 of 47

 

Quote:

 

Originally Posted by Lars View Post

 


The issue with snowboard straps wasn't the fact they were coming off the boarder. The fact that boarders have a habit of taking their boards off and sit around in the snow, or strap in, and their board becomes a missle sliding down the slope when they drop it or lose grip on it. I have treated more than a few injuries of this cause before teathers were made manditory, at least at my resort.
 

 

I think ski brakes might just be the most inovative improvements to the ski industry. I have no issue with that.


Lars,

The point is the requirement of specific safety equipment - Snowboarders still sit on the snow with the boards laying around - the resort does not not police people from sitting around with equipment laying next to them (maybe they should).
As a long time (maybe to long) patroller I probably have treated more lacerations and contusions from people being hit by skis tethered to them than I care to remember. Wasn't required then to wear latex or vinyl gloves (BSI) when treating those wounds then either. 4x4 and cravat on the hill and go.

The point is all things are improved on and change - helmets are a change and are an improvement, whether all  agree, some people have a difficult time dealing with change.

I do agree ski brakes are a great improvement over retention straps, but the reliable release bindings are probably the greatest ski safety improvement.  But now you may want to include power straps in your equipment list, especially in some area's, darn everything has some drawbacks.

 

post #39 of 47

To actually respond to the original post, I am stupid, but when I don't wear a helmet it's generally because it's just one more thing to schlep around.  On a couple family trips where I knew beforehand that I would be skiing with at least one kid the whole time, a helmet literally would have required packing another bag, unless I wore it onto the plane which simply would have been too out-there and have caused my kids to disown me if they could.  Outside a resort setting to me it also generally gets in the way.  An analog would be climbing helmets, where if you think you'll be encountering rockfall or other "mountaineering-type" hazards it's one thing but otherwise it's something else clanking on the pack.  Or it's a case of risk compensation.

 

I've actually worn other protective gear on occasion, too, but if I had to wear all of it all the time I'd probably quit skiing and riding, in all seriousness.  That's only what works for me, not other people.  I use a mouthguard nearly as much as a helmet, most people never use one.  But in mouthguards it's the color that's key.

 

Also, when I do wear a helmet, it's actually one chosen with an eye to what I'll be doing and therefore what I think will work, for me.   

post #40 of 47

Why don't I wear one personal choice and heat I generate lots of head heat and don't need something keeping the heat in.  I much prefer not baking out what is left of my gray matter with one of those things and don't tell me to wear one unless you're dying for me to tell you something. 

post #41 of 47

I put a helmet on every morning before leaving my house and I don't remove it until I get home.  

 

Why don't I wear a helmet? I don't sleep well unless I've removed my helmet. I cannot shampoo my hair without removing my helmet. Showering without protective headwear is dangerous, I should really wash my hair in the sink or have it done at the salon.

post #42 of 47

 

Cause you can't this this with a helmet.

 

post #43 of 47

True, You just cannot look this good with a helmet on !  This is the money shot for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lyon View Post

 

Cause you can't this this with a helmet.

 

 

post #44 of 47

Burton Helmet, Oatmeal, HB Egg, Glazed Donut at Mammoth... Priceless!

post #45 of 47

Still LOTS of snow at Mammoth Mtn !, Friday, 05.08.09 @ 0930 hrs

post #46 of 47

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaviaman View Post

Been skiing over 40 years, never worn a helmet, I cannot offer a logical reason why I do not wear a helmet except that I do not like them!

 

Wear a helmet on the bike!

Wore a helmet when I raced cars.

 

I've had two concussions from skiing accidents, interestingly enough I was the only skier involved.

 

Recently spent a week skiing at Whistler, I was surprised at the number of people wearing helmets. On the final day after skiing I had to change a lightbulb in the roof of the deck, fell off a 3 foot stepladder and hit my head on the decking....my third concussion, guess I should wear a helmet to change lightbulbs!

 

Cheers

 

Da Flav

 

And there is no problem with that, it is honest, I don't mind people wearing helmets at all. I only mind when they think I am inferioir for wearing one or that they can cause more damage. For me, helmets are a comfort thing, hats are too hot, the helmet makes some things hurt less.

post #47 of 47

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpiel View Post

 

I don't mind people wearing helmets at all. I only mind when they think I am inferioir for wearing one or that they can cause more damage.

Huh???

 

Why would people who wear helmet think you're inferior for wearing helmet just like them?

 

Perhaps they think you're inferior for NOT wearing helmet? Do you have problem with that or not?

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Why don't you wear a helmet?