EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › Your Favorite passive aggresive tactic to keep horseback rider off trails.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your Favorite passive aggresive tactic to keep horseback rider off trails. - Page 2

post #31 of 44
Quote:

On the other hand if your dog needs to poop in my yard that's perfectly okay with me....I don't expect animals to control their pooping

 

Well if my dog left something in your yard or on the trail, I would be sure to pick it up.  I have a rational brain & a responsibility to the other trail users.

 

This thread is pointless, like I said in my opening statement some people just don't get it!

 

JF

post #32 of 44

The point is that what Bush is doing is illegal and condemned by just about every mountain bike organization.  Posting and boasting about it on the Internet is only going to hurt mountain biking. 

post #33 of 44

Wouldn't it be great to just be able to piss and crap whenever/wherever? (sorry, had to)

post #34 of 44

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

The point is that what Bush is doing is illegal and condemned by just about every mountain bike organization.  Posting and boasting about it on the Internet is only going to hurt mountain biking. 


Perhaps you misunderstand what he is doing. He is not out there with a chainsaw felling trees to stop horses from riding on the trails. He is simply piling up dead wood against fallen trees to make them rideable by bicycles. He is doing nothing to make it harder for the horses, nature is taking care of that side. If the horse riders want to haul a saw out there and cut the tree away they will have their trail back.

post #35 of 44

I was wondering what exactly you are doing to make it worse for horses. Does piling up smaller logs against the existing obstacle make it more intimidating to horses/horse riders? 

post #36 of 44

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

 Bought a pocket chain saw and a pocket foldable saw to carry in my pack.

 

  I pile every single of one of them

 

 I have found 2-3 foot log piles scare away most horse back riders and their horses.

 

So making large log pile is my favorite way to keep horses away, what is yours?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

 


Perhaps you misunderstand what he is doing.

 

 

Yes, I think I understand.

 

aggresive tactic to keep horseback rider off trails.

 

 

 ANY tactic, to keep ANY legal user off of trails is WRONG!

 

 

post #37 of 44

Did you look at the picture? Do you think he felled that giant tree with his folding pocket saw? I'm thinking the wind felled the big one denying access to all users. BWPA then placed smaller logs against it so he could ride over it. 

post #38 of 44

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

two points:

 

 

2- around here, bikes are banned from a lot of single track due to the damage the bikes cause...

 

 


Nothing short of a motorcycle trashes trails like a horse.  Piss, manure, more PSI in those hoofs than a  

semi truck. 

 

But they are legal in wilderness areas, while bikes are not.  ARRGGHH!

post #39 of 44
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

 


Perhaps you misunderstand what he is doing. He is not out there with a chainsaw felling trees to stop horses from riding on the trails. He is simply piling up dead wood against fallen trees to make them rideable by bicycles. He is doing nothing to make it harder for the horses, nature is taking care of that side. If the horse riders want to haul a saw out there and cut the tree away they will have their trail back.

 

yep epic has it right, I havent fallen any trees to block trails off to horses. I am only piling logs to make it passable by bikers and easier for hikers to get by. If I just left it go only the best bikers could clear these things.

 

Could I cut it out? you betch ya. will I? heck no.

 

The horse rider could simply haul a chainsaw out there to get it out of the way or contact the local park stewards to get the stuff cleared but they have not.

 

most horseback riders can not clear even the smallest logs, when they are approaching 3 feet high they will just turn around.

post #40 of 44
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

 

 

 

 

 

Yes, I think I understand.

 

aggresive tactic to keep horseback rider off trails.

 

 

 ANY tactic, to keep ANY legal user off of trails is WRONG!

 

 


WRONG in your mind yes, in my mind its just showing peoples true colors.

 

Not one horseback rider has ever showed up to a trail maintence day I have been to, nor will they take the time to get off their horse to clear these things out.

 

I am sick and tired of pandering to horseback riders. I mean come on they can drive there big ass 4wd SUV with a trailer far away to a Wilderness Trail head go ride in 'pristine" trails while they erode it away and leave non natural feces all over the place, that sometime carry non native and destructive plants into a otherwise untouched enviroment. Horseback riding obvisously should have a place in wilderness areas right?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #41 of 44

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog View Post

 


Nothing short of a motorcycle trashes trails like a horse.  Piss, manure, more PSI in those hoofs than a  

semi truck. 

 

But they are legal in wilderness areas, while bikes are not.  ARRGGHH!


Newfy- this is the reason given, not my opinion, I ride everyweekend. Motorcycles are strictly verboden on any kind of trail around here. Only certain areas are open to them. I live in horse country and yes, tose big-ass hooves can really rip up a trail especially after a rain.  We also have a very popular rails-2-trails here and the horse crap is all over the place. Keeps the ride interesting....
 

post #42 of 44

Apparently BWPA hasn't made the trail significantly more difficult for any user, he has only made it easier for bicycles. I think he is saying that he could have removed the deadfall, but chose not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

 

 

 

 

 

Yes, I think I understand.

 

aggresive tactic to keep horseback rider off trails.

 

 

 ANY tactic, to keep ANY legal user off of trails is WRONG!

 

 

 

I'm not sure, but I think his alteration of existing obstacles is a passive act. Are you suggesting he is doing WRONG unless he removes every log crossing he encounters?

post #43 of 44

Dump question coming your way:

Are these trails shared, sanctioned trails for bikes, horses, hiking.....etc?

 

In our area there are trails that include multiple activities such as, biking, hiking horse back riding, snowshoeing cross country skiing.

There are also trails that are exclusive to one or two activities, which separate the horses from bikers.

 

If you don't like riding a trail that the horses share, then why not use a trial that does not include them?

 

In Michigan, Dirtbikes/atv's are a whole different category and trial system that is funded by ORV permits and maintained by volunteer organizations.

 

post #44 of 44
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

Dump question coming your way:

Are these trails shared, sanctioned trails for bikes, horses, hiking.....etc?

 

In our area there are trails that include multiple activities such as, biking, hiking horse back riding, snowshoeing cross country skiing.

There are also trails that are exclusive to one or two activities, which separate the horses from bikers.

 

If you don't like riding a trail that the horses share, then why not use a trial that does not include them?

 

In Michigan, Dirtbikes/atv's are a whole different category and trial system that is funded by ORV permits and maintained by volunteer organizations.

 

 

the one the pictures were taken at are shared sactioned multi use trails. Bikes, horses, and hikers.

 

We only have 2 park locally that dont allows horses and they are over populated by hikers and walker because they are downtown pittsburgh.

 

We also have on single use(mountain bike only IE hiking is technicallly not allowed) trail north of the burgh and hope to have more as the our influnence is felt more.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › Your Favorite passive aggresive tactic to keep horseback rider off trails.