EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Can I Live at Alta Without Working There or Buying a Million-Dollar Home?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can I Live at Alta Without Working There or Buying a Million-Dollar Home?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

I'm wondering if it's possible to live in the town of Alta in winter without working there (and living in their employee dorms) or buying a gadzillion-dollar house.

 

Neither option appeals to me, so I'm looking for a third way. Is this surmountable? i.e. can I live up the canyon, or is Cottonwood Heights my only option?

 

 

post #2 of 19

I think condos start at about $500-600K up there (that includes options that are closer to Snowbird than Alta):

 

http://www.cottonwoodcanyonsrealty.com/

 

Or you could book a room at one of the lodges for about $22K a season!  

 

If you figure out a way to do it that is affordable by mere mortals who don't want a ski-bum job, let me know.

post #3 of 19

I kind of just want to work a ski bum job and have no responsibilities... is that bad? I think I'd be happy to get free season passes and not much money for a few years just to ski at Alta.  

post #4 of 19

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthwerm View Post

I kind of just want to work a ski bum job and have no responsibilities... is that bad? I think I'd be happy to get free season passes and not much money for a few years just to ski at Alta.  


I have thought about that myself.  If it wasn't for job/marriage/mortgage, I'd be the oldest, weirdest server in the GMD dining room next season (assuming they'd want me).  Seriously, I've said it before, but the people working there have it all figured out -- they're the ones on vacation.  The rest of us just visit for a week to pump $$ into the ski-bum economy.

post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 

LOL you guys all make very valid points, but perhaps I should have been clearer: Im already basically a ski-bum, but I live in SLC. I don't want to work for Alta coz I'm busy enough as it is (plus, I don't function well in structured - re: work - environments).

 

So what I'm looking for is housing at the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon with no strings attached. I'm wondering if this is possible?

post #6 of 19

  That's the best joke I have heard in a long time.

 

Wait!  I have a thought!  Have you ever thought of becoming cougar bait?  That may be the answer!

post #7 of 19

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post

 


I have thought about that myself.  If it wasn't for job/marriage/mortgage, I'd be the oldest, weirdest server in the GMD dining room next season (assuming they'd want me).  Seriously, I've said it before, but the people working there have it all figured out -- they're the ones on vacation.  The rest of us just visit for a week to pump $$ into the ski-bum economy.


you wouldnt not be the oldest or the weirdest believe it or not...

post #8 of 19

You a drug dealer or something?

post #9 of 19

So, you want to live in ski country, you want all of the benfits that those willing to pay $1500/night want, but you want a "deal"  Good luck.

 

You can rent with some roomates, you can buy a tiny studio for $300,000 or you can commute.  The ski industry survives on the tourist dollar.  That means that I can make more renting my house than selling to you.  It sucks, it isn't even fair that some yahoo from Dallas can come out here for a week and drastically increase the cost of living in a ski town.  Truth be told, I'd rather sell to a core skier than some over paid redneck but...we all need to make it and if "Bubba Dallas" is willing to pay a large amount for a house well, he get's the house

post #10 of 19

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsosmart View Post

I'm wondering if it's possible to live in the town of Alta in winter without working there (and living in their employee dorms) or buying a gadzillion-dollar house.

 

Neither option appeals to me, so I'm looking for a third way. Is this surmountable? i.e. can I live up the canyon, or is Cottonwood Heights my only option?

 

 

 

who cares about up canyon really...

 

the drive isnt that bad and you can beat any schedules road closures assuming your dedicated enough and have car capable of making it up canyon.

 

rent can be as cheap 200 a month in the valley for rooms in shared house. I had a pretty nice place for 350 a month. IMO is not really worth it to be up canyon.

 

post #11 of 19

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsosmart 

 

Neither option appeals to me, so I'm looking for a third way. Is this surmountable? i.e. can I live up the canyon... 


Two words:    Snow Cave !
 

 

Believe it or not it's been done.

post #12 of 19

There are a couple of cabins that you have to skin too that rent LT.  Probably a pretty long wait list ahead of you though. 

post #13 of 19

OK You live in SLC and you are asking a bunch of people on the net. People who for the most part only know Alta as a place to ski, If you can live in LCC?   Try Cragslist.

post #14 of 19

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsosmart View Post

LOL you guys all make very valid points, but perhaps I should have been clearer: Im already basically a ski-bum, but I live in SLC. I don't want to work for Alta coz I'm busy enough as it is (plus, I don't function well in structured - re: work - environments).

 

So what I'm looking for is housing at the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon with no strings attached. I'm wondering if this is possible?


Wow, rarely is a screenname so amply exemplified. Have you really thought through the practicalities of your putative lifestyle?  For instance, exactly where do you propose buying groceries, toilet paper, toothpaste, et al. if you actually live in Alta (or Brighton, for that matter)?    Just about everyone who does have a seasonal (or year-round) residence there goes down to Salt Lake for those purchases.  

 

And, you don't want to work "coz" you are "busy enough as it is?"  Doing what?  Writing a manifesto? 

 

Sorry, but this is one of the oddest posts I have ever seen.  Good luck in finding your Shangri-La.
 

post #15 of 19

There may be a handful of caretaking jobs at some of the houses.  Ask around...

 

There are legends about snow cave residents in past winters, but given the wall-to wall skiing that takes place in LCC these days, I am not sure how many non-slide-path locations would be secluded enough not to be found.

post #16 of 19

The ride up in the morning from Sandy is quick and easy. Coming back around 5 PM the traffic is thick down in Sandy. When I was out there this year I wondered about the house on the right going up in the morning, it would be the one closest to the skiing. Sits about 20 feet off the road. Has to be worth a fortune, Its not oppulent or anything, but Location Location Location.

post #17 of 19

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsosmart View Post

I'm wondering if it's possible to live in the town of Alta in winter without working there (and living in their employee dorms) or buying a gadzillion-dollar house.

 

 

 

 

I know a guy who's doing exactly that one canyon over.  Seek out the Mad Monk of Silver Fork for further advice.

post #18 of 19
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post

 


Wow, rarely is a screenname so amply exemplified. Have you really thought through the practicalities of your putative lifestyle?  For instance, exactly where do you propose buying groceries, toilet paper, toothpaste, et al. if you actually live in Alta (or Brighton, for that matter)?    Just about everyone who does have a seasonal (or year-round) residence there goes down to Salt Lake for those purchases.  

 

And, you don't want to work "coz" you are "busy enough as it is?"  Doing what?  Writing a manifesto? 

 

Sorry, but this is one of the oddest posts I have ever seen.  Good luck in finding your Shangri-La.
 

 

Wow, thanks for taking the time to write a dickish response. Very helpful.

post #19 of 19

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post

  That's the best joke I have heard in a long time.

 

Wait!  I have a thought!  Have you ever thought of becoming cougar bait?  That may be the answer!

My thought exactly!!!!!
All you'd have to do is invest in a gym membership with a tanning salon....The teeth may need work, too...

The right lady will get you your wardrobe....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Can I Live at Alta Without Working There or Buying a Million-Dollar Home?