what is the pitch of alta 1, 2 and 3 as well as tower 3 shutes at jackson????
- itemJackson Holetagged by System, 4/13/09
Related Forum Threads
- Jackson Hole March 10 - 15 Last post on 3/6/17 at 2:25pm in General Skiing Discussion
- JH Steep and Deep vs Alta Powder Tracks vs. ? Last post on 2/20/17 at 7:10am in General Skiing Discussion
- Jackson Hole CLOSED on 2/8, re-opened on 2/13/17, wind damage meant NO POWER for a few days at... Last post on 2/21/17 at 3:32pm in Skiing News
- Jackson Hole Closed, hits 400" Last post on 2/10/17 at 7:22am in General Skiing Discussion
- Jackson hole ski trip Last post on 2/12/17 at 8:36am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
Last edited: 11/21/16
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- Jackson Hole Mountain Resort - An Unofficial Guide to Skiing...Last edited: 10/8/13
- Back Home in the Jackson BackcountryLast edited: 9/12/16
- Jackson Hole Guide To Skiing Jackson Hole Mountain ResortLast edited: 10/25/11
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
anybody knowspost #1 of 104/9/09 at 3:09pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 104/9/09 at 6:02pmpost #3 of 104/9/09 at 6:30pmpost #4 of 104/9/09 at 6:44pmpost #5 of 104/9/09 at 7:09pmpost #6 of 104/10/09 at 6:33am
About 10 years ago I measured a bunch of the slope angles at JHMR. I don't remember what the numbers where exactly, but I would say that tower 3 averages 35 degrees with Alta 1 & 2 being a bit steeper. I was surprised at the time that stuff wasn't steeper. Most people grossly overestimate the steepness of pitches they are skiing. Also those chutes get bumped and rutted and are not easy to accurately measure.post #7 of 104/11/09 at 8:55amThread Starterpost #8 of 104/11/09 at 10:29am
Tagging on to what tetonpwdrjunkie said, I'll add just a little.
All the runs you asked about vary in pitch from top to bottom. In general, the tops of all of those runs are steeper than the bottom (thanks mostly to erosion, I suspect). In all of them, the steepest portions of the runs only last for a few turns at best.
Here's what I got from inclinometer measurements a few years ago. As tpj says, it's difficult to get a consistent measurement because of moguls and whatnot. These are just close-enough estimates - within a couple of degrees - at the steepest points:
Alta 1: 41 (upper skier's-left shoulder for four or five turns)
Alta 2: 42 (at the "entrance" but only for maybe two turns)
Alta 3: 38 (kind of nebulous on where you would measure A-3)
Tower 3: 41 (also upper skier's left shoulder, for maybe three or four turns)
There actually aren't that many *really* steep runs at JH. Our reputation comes more from having a huge amount of terrain that most skiers would consider "steep" but probably not killer-steep. We have a whole lot of terrain in the 35 to 38-degree range, but very little above 41 degrees.
Some of the other steep spots on the mountain include Hanging Snowfield (which was never officially open this winter), Mushroom Chutes/Hoop's Gap, portions of the Expert Chutes, and many shots off the walls of middle and lower Dick's Ditch. Most of these have short sections (two to four turns) of almost 45 degrees.post #9 of 104/11/09 at 10:47amThread Starterpost #10 of 104/11/09 at 1:46pm
- anybody knows
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Mountains that offer skiing and mountain biking 6 minutes ago
- › Inside leg issue and other concerns. 7 minutes ago
- › Are you man enough? K2 VO Slaloms 8 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 17 minutes ago
- › Tips for keeping your tips up? 23 minutes ago
- › old skis 29 minutes ago
- › MA this intermediate(ish) senior skier 47 minutes ago
- › March 2017 Image of the Month Contest 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › MA my bump skiing 1 hour, 42 minutes ago
- › I Can't ski powder? 2 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview