what is the pitch of alta 1, 2 and 3 as well as tower 3 shutes at jackson????
- itemJackson Holetagged by System, 4/13/09
Related Forum Threads
- JH vs Keystone Last post on Today at 8:20 pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Looking for an Alta lodge experience at JH or W/B Last post on 9/28/16 at 8:07pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Jackson Hole: Stay in Teton Village or Outside Last post on 10/6/16 at 1:49pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Where do kids ski for free? Daily lift ticket or season-long discount for specific grade -... Last post on 10/14/16 at 5:12pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- Flight Prices from North East to Jackson Hole Last post on 9/26/16 at 2:41pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Jackson Hole Mountain Resort - An Unofficial Guide to Skiing...Last edited: 10/8/13
- Back Home in the Jackson BackcountryLast edited: 9/12/16
- Jackson Hole Guide To Skiing Jackson Hole Mountain ResortLast edited: 10/25/11
- Powder 8 Tracks In Cody BowlLast edited: 9/12/16
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
anybody knowspost #1 of 104/9/09 at 3:09pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 104/9/09 at 6:02pmpost #3 of 104/9/09 at 6:30pmpost #4 of 104/9/09 at 6:44pmpost #5 of 104/9/09 at 7:09pmpost #6 of 104/10/09 at 6:33am
About 10 years ago I measured a bunch of the slope angles at JHMR. I don't remember what the numbers where exactly, but I would say that tower 3 averages 35 degrees with Alta 1 & 2 being a bit steeper. I was surprised at the time that stuff wasn't steeper. Most people grossly overestimate the steepness of pitches they are skiing. Also those chutes get bumped and rutted and are not easy to accurately measure.post #7 of 104/11/09 at 8:55amThread Starterpost #8 of 104/11/09 at 10:29am
Tagging on to what tetonpwdrjunkie said, I'll add just a little.
All the runs you asked about vary in pitch from top to bottom. In general, the tops of all of those runs are steeper than the bottom (thanks mostly to erosion, I suspect). In all of them, the steepest portions of the runs only last for a few turns at best.
Here's what I got from inclinometer measurements a few years ago. As tpj says, it's difficult to get a consistent measurement because of moguls and whatnot. These are just close-enough estimates - within a couple of degrees - at the steepest points:
Alta 1: 41 (upper skier's-left shoulder for four or five turns)
Alta 2: 42 (at the "entrance" but only for maybe two turns)
Alta 3: 38 (kind of nebulous on where you would measure A-3)
Tower 3: 41 (also upper skier's left shoulder, for maybe three or four turns)
There actually aren't that many *really* steep runs at JH. Our reputation comes more from having a huge amount of terrain that most skiers would consider "steep" but probably not killer-steep. We have a whole lot of terrain in the 35 to 38-degree range, but very little above 41 degrees.
Some of the other steep spots on the mountain include Hanging Snowfield (which was never officially open this winter), Mushroom Chutes/Hoop's Gap, portions of the Expert Chutes, and many shots off the walls of middle and lower Dick's Ditch. Most of these have short sections (two to four turns) of almost 45 degrees.post #9 of 104/11/09 at 10:47amThread Starterpost #10 of 104/11/09 at 1:46pm
- anybody knows
- Jackson Hole Mountain Resort - An Unofficial Guide to Skiing...
- › First Time Buying Skis and Boots - Do It All Together? 2 minutes ago
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 5 minutes ago
- › CO Man ordered to pay $260,000 in damages from skiing accident 25 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 41 minutes ago
- › Do I need a snow tire? 48 minutes ago
- › GogglePal - anyone test this universal HUD yet? 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Anyone using AT All Terrain tire that's great in snow - Likes and... 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › Basic entry level poles? 1 hour, 27 minutes ago
- › Kids Group vs Semi-Private Lesson 1 hour, 31 minutes ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 1 hour, 37 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer