I get a few weeks of leave this summer from mid July to the beginning of August and I'm looking for a place to go skiing. I know South America or any place where it's winter at that time is best, but I don't want to have to spend that much money. Are there any good places to go in the US or Canada around this time. I know the glacier skiing is open in Whistler at this time and there's also Mt. Hood, but is it worth it to go to these places or is the snow pretty bad at that time of year. Any info on these places or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, both on their snow conditions and nightlife. Thanks for the help.
Related Forum Threads
- Mt. Hood Summer Ski Camps Last post on 5/18/09 at 3:51pm in General Skiing Discussion
- North American skiing after Memorial Day? Last post on 6/6/16 at 10:41am in General Skiing Discussion
- Timberline, WV 1/24/16 Bluebird Day Last post on 4/26/16 at 6:20pm in Trip Reports
- 14-15 PNW Gathering (WA/OR) Last post on 11/9/15 at 2:53pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Mount Hood or Timberline in oregon Last post on 10/15/14 at 10:59am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
Portillo: Open Your Mind to the Full Chilean Mountain Experience
Last edited: 5/4/13
- Summer Skiing International DestinationsLast edited: 6/25/12
- Summer Skiing: It Doesn't Have to EndLast edited: 5/17/12
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Summer Skiingpost #2 of 54/7/09 at 7:58pm
Les Deux Alpes, France
Real snow, easy to get to the lift in town, and it's only 1 lift up to the skiing. ( You have to walk out at the halfway station and switch to the next gondola because the cable would be too long, but it's the same lift)
Whistler - a loooong time to get to the skiing.
Then you've got the food in the Alps.
The town is sort of the Killington of the Alps, but there's old towns accessible by gondola or bike and there's plenty to do. There's plenty of nightlife, but Whistler probably still has everyone beat. You can also visit La Grave nearby and go rafting down there. If you time it right and do a little research, you might be able to see the riders from the Tour de France bike up the mountains nearby. I think the Tour went there in '02.
Bottom line: there's nothing like the Alps. We skied every conditon in one week from actual powder, corn snow, slush, and firm. Seriously, if it were New England in the winter we would've been happy to have been that good. Note that you only ski till about 1pm.post #3 of 55/15/09 at 11:39pm
so true - you have to wait until noon to upload, the summer schools have all the terrain in the morning and its mostly slush inthe afternoon. Go to whistler during the regular ski season.
post #4 of 55/30/09 at 10:00am
The only US lift-served skiing open during your time frame would be Mount Hood. At that time of year it's dominated by race camps. You can only ski a narrow lane on the Palmer snowfield and it wouldn't be worth traveling a long ways for the skiing. However, the experience of the historic Timberline Lodge, views from the mountain at the other Cascade volcanoes along with the Columbia Gorge are cool. Some people climb Hood an ski it, but people also die on the mountain every year. Plenty of people hike and board/ski Mount Rainier's Muir snowfield at that time, and it is a fairly safe route in clear weather. But it can get bad weather any time of the year. Are you sure you don't want to go to South America?post #5 of 55/30/09 at 3:31pm
If you want good skiing you won't find it in NA at that time of year. Blackcomb has poor conditions as noted earlier and only a couple of T-bars open that you have to mount an expedition to get to. Mt. Hood is better, but only if you like skiing on a cow field with one end jacked up. The main reason to ski either place in the summer is to: 1) Train for competition, or 2) Say you've done it.
If you can't get to SA or NZ, then do something else that's enjoyable.
- Summer Skiing
- Summer Skiing International Destinations
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 7 seconds ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 1 minute ago
- › What's your ski trip rig? Lets see some pictures! 1 minute ago
- › 87 degree side edge too much for park? 6 minutes ago
- › AirBnB and VRBO Versus Ski Town Zoning Ordinances 12 minutes ago
- › how to adjsut Rossignol Power 10C axial front binding 27 minutes ago
- › Beginners tip bible - share yours 45 minutes ago
- › Spademan ski bindings 53 minutes ago
- › FS: Dynastar SPX 15 Maxflex Binding - Brand New, $250 shipped to... 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › FS: Hestra Heli Gloves, Black, Size 8 - Brand New $95 shipped to... 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer