EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Colorado Ski Demo Days?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Colorado Ski Demo Days?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

It seems that most demo days occur in the early season when conditions ain't what they should be for demo'ing skis (especially wide boards and/or on moguls).  You also miss the early season sales that occur in Sept (do I see a conspiracy here).  I'm looking for some 2010 ski demo days for the end of the 2009 CO season so I can be prepared to pull the trigger on my favorite new 2010 model, but have come up with nothing in my web searches.  Any ideas?

post #2 of 15

I think the only 2010 ski demos that happen during 2009 are after the SIA and are only for the ski shop employees and reps.

post #3 of 15

^and instructors!

post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler View Post

 

I think the only 2010 ski demos that happen during 2009 are after the SIA and are only for the ski shop employees and reps.


 

...and the ski shops wonder why I won't buy a new model before the start of the ski season (oh but they do have their "performance guarantee") - wouldn't doing this get more skis sold sooner?

post #5 of 15

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski-ra View Post

 


 


 

...and the ski shops wonder why I won't buy a new model before the start of the ski season (oh but they do have their "performance guarantee") - wouldn't doing this get more skis sold sooner?

 

Surely at this time of the season, the ski shops main concern is turning inventory into cash.  The last thing they want is any promotional activity which would force them to tie up money in stock which they probably won't unload until next October.  They want to liquidate what they have now and they're likely to get really PO'd if a manufacturer gets you slobbering over the 2010 model so that you hold onto your $ rather than buy the 2009 model at 50% off.

 

Try thinking of it as they are doing you a favor.  If they went bust because they screwed up their cash flow, then you'd never get to play with any of the shiny new skis. 

 

See, it's for your own good.......

post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaosMath View Post

 

See, it's for your own good.......


 

Fair enough, but I don't feel good (being facetious)....  Thanks for the explanation!

post #7 of 15

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaosMath View Post

 

Surely at this time of the season, the ski shops main concern is turning inventory into cash.  The last thing they want is any promotional activity which would force them to tie up money in stock which they probably won't unload until next October.  They want to liquidate what they have now and they're likely to get really PO'd if a manufacturer gets you slobbering over the 2010 model so that you hold onto your $ rather than buy the 2009 model at 50% off.

 

While they might be rare, I can say for certain that some people will run demo days of next year's gear.  I was just at a demo day this past weekend of '10 gear run by a local ski shop here in WA.  Doesn't help the OP much with CO info, but just wanted to point out that I know there's at least 1 shop out there doing this.  And you could actually buy the gear too.  They had special 10% off prices on the '10 gear if you bought during the demo day.

post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaobrien6 View Post

 

 

...I was just at a demo day this past weekend of '10 gear run by a local ski shop here in WA.  Doesn't help the OP much with CO info, but just wanted to point out that I know there's at least 1 shop out there doing this.  And you could actually buy the gear too.  They had special 10% off prices on the '10 gear if you bought during the demo day.


 

Cool, so one business's idea of bad marketing is another's epiphany (or mistake).  It was Acrophobia's post about some recent WA ski area demo's that drove me to start this thread.  I also emailed her about it.  Maybe the CO shop's are too anal-retentive to try this approach....

post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaosMath View Post

 

 

 

Surely at this time of the season, the ski shops main concern is turning inventory into cash.  The last thing they want is any promotional activity which would force them to tie up money in stock which they probably won't unload until next October.  They want to liquidate what they have now and they're likely to get really PO'd if a manufacturer gets you slobbering over the 2010 model so that you hold onto your $ rather than buy the 2009 model at 50% off.


 

On 2nd thought, I wasn't talking about the shops stocking up on 2010's now, but merely getting me excited now about purchasing the 2010's when they do stock them in September (that's when it happens in the CO Front Range).  So it seems to me that if they've already paid for a ski then they're better off selling me a 2010 model at a higher profit than that for a 2009 model.  Ski stock has very low carrying costs (though I can't say I know the tax ramifications of this) which is why some shops in CO  seem to have a variety of years old skis that they only very slowly mark down until someone finally buys 'em.  Heck I still see Volants

post #10 of 15

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski-ra View Post

 

Cool, so one business's idea of bad marketing is another's epiphany (or mistake).  It was Acrophobia's post about some recent WA ski area demo's that drove me to start this thread.  I also emailed her about it.  Maybe the CO shop's are too anal-retentive to try this approach....

 

That is too bad that you can't find anyone there that does this.  I'm no expert on retail, so I don't know what the reasons are behind why a shop would choose to run an even like this or choose not to.  It does seem like it's working fine for the shop out here that's doing it.

 

I personally think the people looking to pick up skis at 50%+ off in March are not the same people who are going to pay almost full price for next year's gear, so I don't think you're cannabilizing your sales of your existing stock too much.  In fact, you might even move some of that inventory 'cause someone tries a ski they like, but doesn't want to pay almost full price for next year's stuff and consequently buys a heavily discounted pair of this year's skis instead.  <shrug> What do I know, though?

post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaobrien6 View Post

 

 ....<shrug> What do I know, though?

Me neither (and it's getting worse).  Maybe some our ski industry Epicskiers will find this thread and tell us how naive we are (or note)...
 

post #12 of 15

This ain't about greed or indifference. Bet the problem is more that if you tempt people with next year' stuff, they may just put off purchasing this year's stuff right now. (Since next year's stuff, by definition, is usually going to be more interesting than stuff you already know about.)

 

If folks are sale mongers, they'll wait until next spring, or online later this spring. If they're not, they'll want the new stuff right now. Or next fall. Either way you're stuck with this season's inventory. Which costs you several kinds of money every day it sits there. 

 

Simplistic generalization: One of the ways humans can be divided up is those who get how tough it is to run a small business and those who don't. 

post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 

I can't disagree with the above explanations about the business reasons for not running consumer ski demo's in the spring (for next year's stuff) and agree that the average consumer doesn't give a damn about the challenges that a small ski business endures (I'm a small business owner myself).  What I don't get is, in the face of these facts, there still seems to be a number of these demos occurring in WA and CA (based on various recent posts on this and other threads).  So I guess the question is why here in the ski mecca of CO (i.e., where there's a gazillion shops all competing for business) aren't there a few shops and/or reps providing spring demo's as a way to separate themselves from the competition?  This is obviously what is going on in WA and CA.  Strange

post #14 of 15

First, odds are a ski shop probably wouldn't have enough 2010 skis mounted up as demos to put on a demo of 2010 skis, so it would take a few Manufacturer's Reps to get together with their fleets and put something on. the next problem is ski production cycles... it hasn't really started yet. Sure some skis are being pressed and some are available to shops to sell but quantity is limited, sizing is almost non existent and the ski quality might not be consumer ready.

 

You mention being able to test a skis soft snow and mogul performance, let's say Volkl shows up with two sizes of '10 Gotamas. You grab one pair and head out to find some fresh snow and ski a few laps of bumps... 3hrs later you return. So maybe two people get to try that ski in that length, this helps shops how?

 

I try to get a few pairs of demos dropped off early, I have some rep's skis that can be demoed but I wouldn't waste my time trying to organize an on hill day, it would be pointless.


What you can do is figure out where a few late season ski races are, pick a big race day and see if any reps will be there, they often will have some of next years gear that they'll let people try out. I'm betting some of the demos you are hearing about are connected to events like the 'Sugar Slalom' here at Stowe, a major ski race that brings in hundreds of racers and their families... and some reps with demos.

post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post

 

...I'm betting some of the demos you are hearing about are connected to events like the 'Sugar Slalom' here at Stowe, a major ski race that brings in hundreds of racers and their families... and some reps with demos.

Thanks!  More good explanations and some good tips though still doesn't fully explain the demo's I'm reading about here.  I haven't found out who is/are putting on the CA ones, but the WA one that has led to some recent ski review threads/posts was put on by a ski shop - Sturtevants.  Wonder what Kool-Aid they're drinking (and why other shops/reps are drinking it too)?
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Colorado Ski Demo Days?