EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Ski Instruction & Coaching › Harald Harb Letter to EpicSki Community
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Harald Harb Letter to EpicSki Community - Page 7

post #181 of 206
They're both Tsavo's. She rips.

Tahoe. Ah, Tahoe. Not this year. Not in the cards. I've not got an opening in my travel schedule until May 7th! :
post #182 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
Come to Tahoe, Ski with Ryan!

That should have been our advertising strapline for the Gathering this year.
post #183 of 206
To much refinement of technique and not enough fun might be the wrong formula, either under PMTS or PSIA. I think Horst Abraham's book "Skiing Right" provides a much better foundation for skiing. It even has a chapter entitled "Why we ski."
post #184 of 206
Let's hear it for Horst Abraham, U.S. skiing's very own living brain trust and the most challenging/astute teacher I have yet known.
post #185 of 206
The Aspen videos point out one other thing besides that Bergie rips:

PSIA conitnues to shoot itself in the foot by allowing people to be Examiners for life. Clearly by any objective standard there are PSIA examiners who are not skiing with modern movements by PSIA's own definition. They should have to re-certify every two years.
post #186 of 206
I may be wrong, but in RM I think they do re-cert or something like it. In Eastern they just stop giving you work if you aren't cutting it. There is an examiner a few lockers down from me who has not run a clinic or worked an exam all year.
post #187 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by volklskier1 View Post
The Aspen videos point out one other thing besides that Bergie rips:

PSIA conitnues to shoot itself in the foot by allowing people to be Examiners for life. Clearly by any objective standard there are PSIA examiners who are not skiing with modern movements by PSIA's own definition. They should have to re-certify every two years.
How do you know what PSIA has declared as modern movements? Are you a PSIA certified instructor?
post #188 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdigger View Post
How do you know what PSIA has declared as modern movements? Are you a PSIA certified instructor?
So PSIA drives ski technique ?
post #189 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
So PSIA drives ski technique ?
Where did he say it does?
post #190 of 206
PSIA declares what are modern movements?
post #191 of 206
Oh no, not again.

The video clip from ESA Aspen is a bunch of guys having some fun.

Is there something wrong with having fun when skiing? The way some of you are going on, it appears that instructors are not allowed to have fun. If you want to ban fun, then let me know, and I'll quit enjoying the sport.
post #192 of 206
Yes, In PSIA-RM, we must requalify EVERY season. And there are examiners who get temporarily dropped each season, and are given x amount of time to get current or they will be dropped permanently.
post #193 of 206
Unfortunately, that's not the case for every division.
post #194 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
So PSIA drives ski technique ?
My question was to volklskier1 to understand how volklskier1 came to this conclusion. I still don't have an answer.
post #195 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wear The Fox Hat View Post
Oh no, not again.

The video clip from ESA Aspen is a bunch of guys having some fun.

Is there something wrong with having fun when skiing? The way some of you are going on, it appears that instructors are not allowed to have fun. If you want to ban fun, then let me know, and I'll quit enjoying the sport.
No one is saying you can't have fun. But why does having fun preclude good skiing. In fact just hte opposite is true. If you're having fun and not trying to "demo" then you should be flowing and ripping. It's funny because there's always an excuse. "They were just having fun" or "they were demoing"


Quote:
Originally Posted by vail snopro View Post
Yes, In PSIA-RM, we must requalify EVERY season. And there are examiners who get temporarily dropped each season, and are given x amount of time to get current or they will be dropped permanently.
I don't know what division the two individuals I'm thinking of are in. No sense in singling people out. It's glaring if you watch. Just curious how many examiners each year are actually dropped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdigger View Post
My question was to volklskier1 to understand how volklskier1 came to this conclusion. I still don't have an answer.
The answer is yes. Full and IV. But it is irrelevant to the discussion. Just a very common Ad Hominem ruse.
post #196 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdigger View Post
My question was to volklskier1 to understand how volklskier1 came to this conclusion. I still don't have an answer.
And....odds are good you won't get an answer. His post assumes you must (once again we hear this) limit your skiing movements to one set of values (visit the PMTS board for more on this concept) rather than being able and willing to use anything / anytime / anywhere it may work.......be it old or new.
post #197 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Louie View Post
And....odds are good you won't get an answer. His post assumes you must (once again we hear this) limit your skiing movements to one set of values (visit the PMTS board for more on this concept) rather than being able and willing to use anything / anytime / anywhere it may work.......be it old or new.
Yeah, you really need to use "anything" when you're skiing on groomed packed powder. Holy cow some of you guys will say anything. Tis has nothing to do with PMTS either.
post #198 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by volklskier1 View Post
I don't know what division the two individuals I'm thinking of are in. No sense in singling people out. It's glaring if you watch. Just curious how many examiners each year are actually dropped?
So, if you're not going to tell us who these individuals are, then how can we know who you are talking about?
As far as I know, the video that was posted included a lot of skiers. Some of whom are examiners, some are instructors, some are just plain skiers.
So, for someone like me who isn't able to see the glaring mistakes, would you care to name the examiners, or tell me where in the video I will see them.
post #199 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
So PSIA drives ski technique ?
I sure hope not...
post #200 of 206
Could you guys please stop quoting volkskier1? It makes the ignore function useless.
post #201 of 206
Why do people keep posting in here anyhow.

Let him have the last say and let it die.
post #202 of 206
I quoted BigE... who is volklskier1?
post #203 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Why do people keep posting in here anyhow.

Let him have the last say and let it die.
Lars, Heluva tried to send a message a while ago for people to quit spewing group mantra and talking points back and forth, and to instead focus on discussions of universal technical principles.

It was a nice thought, but it flew right over most heads.
post #204 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Lars, Heluva tried to send a message a while ago for people to quit spewing group mantra and talking points back and forth, and to instead focus on discussions of universal technical principles.

It was a nice thought, but it flew right over most heads.
I doubt it. More likely, it addresses their objectives when they stick to the talking points and group mantras.

However, most non-acolytes have grown weary of it and now just ignore it.
post #205 of 206
If I come back and check this site in 2010-will this particular thread still be open??!!! Kill the sucker, put it to bed. Plea.....se!
post #206 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier View Post
I quoted BigE... who is volklskier1?
Dissenting opinions bring balance to any discussion. Those who buy without shopping get took. Listen,question and make your own mind up. I see Volkskiers opinion as valid any many others. Sometimes more so
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Ski Instruction & Coaching › Harald Harb Letter to EpicSki Community