EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Where to ski this Saturday in Utah
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where to ski this Saturday in Utah

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

Luckily, it looks like a storm arrives on sunday. However, I'm skiing Saturday as I arrive at airport at 6am, so may as well. I gather from NWS that temps will peak that day with very strong south winds ahead of storm coming in next day. I was figuring on one of cottonwood Canyon resorts given high temps, but which one fares best in those kind of winds? Appreciate any advice.

post #2 of 25

 The go old south wind. The warm before the storm. 

Both Alta and Snowbird get blasted by those south winds. Out of the two Snowbird is the worse. Some lifts might go on wind hold.  However if you drop below the ridge line you are usually OK. 

 So where would I go? Solitude.  Solitude seems to be less subject to the south wind and there are lots of trees to ad a little more protection.

Have fun.

  Your user name has me thinking of some fine days back in the 70's surfing Honolua Bay.

post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 

Any thoughts about Sunday/Monday storm. I'm starting to read that most of cold air and snow is going south and east. 

post #4 of 25

Steve, Your est Bet is to, just take a wait and see attitude. East could mean a dump on the east side of the Wasatch such as Powder Mountan , Snowbasin and the Park City Resorts.  If the storm runs to far south well stick to the cottonwood canyons.

 You could always do a drive up to Grand Targee for a day. I do Love skiing there and it really isn't that bad of a drive from  SLC. f you do Then it wouldn't be out of your way to pick me up in Layton UT. Just kidding sort of Kidding. Maybe not such a bad idea?

post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 

We'll see what happens. If going to Targhee, I'd be happy to pick you up. Of course, hoping Utah resorts get dumped as life would be easier.

post #6 of 25
Thread Starter 

We'll see what happens. If going to Targhee, I'd be happy to pick you up. Of course, hoping Utah resorts get dumped as life would be easier.

post #7 of 25

Steve -

Saturday will be quite warm with rippin' south winds.  I have to agree with Topper - Solitude is probably your best bet for this. 

 

Sunday could be variable, depending on when the cold front arrives.  I would recommend LCC for this due to the elevation and potential for better/more snow during the day.

 

On Monday I would just wait and see where the goods are.  If the prevailing winds are from the West/SW, then Snowbasin and PowMow are favorable ... especially with colder air temps over the warmer lake.  North/NWest winds will definitely favor LCC/BCC areas.

post #8 of 25

I will be in SLC Sunday evening, be there for the week, Alta, Snowbird, Brighton and The Canyons are in the plans not sure which days are where. Staying in BCC.

post #9 of 25

I'm out here now (Sandy) arrived yesterday at noon. Never a good start to skiing when you run the AC in the rental car going to the hotel. Was passed on I-15 by a guy on a motorcycle carrying skis. It was in the low 70's I believe in SLC yesterday.

 

Heading up to Alta this AM. As discussed, weather calling for a storm Sunday PM into Monday. Don't know any of the specifics regarding the storm . Anyway, had to be here Monday anyway for a meeting. Tough to always get the "goods" when scheduling trips a couple weeks in advance. I'll report back about conditions today.

post #10 of 25

anyone else reccomending Solitude tommorow (Saturday?) What about Sunday ? Monday? Too early to say?

post #11 of 25

I bit the bullet and let Shatner flex his negotiating muscles. NWS put out a Winter Storm Warning (saying foot or more in BCC LCC) and they are calling for more (not sure how much) Wed and Thursday so I will be out Tuesday night for a week.

 

Fingers crossed.

post #12 of 25

I bit the bullet and let Shatner flex his negotiating muscles. NWS put out a Winter Storm Warning (saying foot or more in BCC LCC) and they are calling for more (not sure how much) Wed and Thursday so I will be out Tuesday night for a week.

 

Fingers crossed.

post #13 of 25

Good luck man, I hope it works out! 

post #14 of 25

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theconz View Post

 

I bit the bullet and let Shatner flex his negotiating muscles. NWS put out a Winter Storm Warning (saying foot or more in BCC LCC) and they are calling for more (not sure how much) Wed and Thursday so I will be out Tuesday night for a week.

 

Fingers crossed.

 

Where did it say this, and how do u know it is coming to BCC or LCC? What day?

 

thanks!

post #15 of 25

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonstopSki View Post

 

 

 

Where did it say this, and how do u know it is coming to BCC or LCC? What day?

 

thanks!

 

NWS = National Weather Service = weather.gov

post #16 of 25

all the NWS says is "winter weather advisory" from what I can see. Nothing calling for a certain amount of inches (Alta's website is claiming 12-16 inches...)

post #17 of 25

Look at the Cottonwood Canyons forecast from NWS:

 

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/snow/mtnwx/mtnForecast.php

post #18 of 25

Thanks 219. NonStop these guys have you covered on where I saw the info. No word from Maui Steve today? Must be having fun!  Maybe he will give us an update. I'll PM him.

post #19 of 25

I'm seeing 15" in my crystal ball for Alta Sunday-Monday, however, it may be preceded by a small amount of rain.... 

 

post #20 of 25

Rain? We don't need no stinkin RAIN!

 

Well if this holds true what are they saying for Wednesday/Thursday cause all the forecasts I have seen call for more snow those days then Sunday/Monday.

 

Hey, I'll be happy just to get 6 inches. No wise comments , please!

 

Skier219 is your crystal ball more reliable than my magic conch?

post #21 of 25

The detailed snow numbers only go out 36 hrs, so Wed/Thurs is not in the crystal ball yet.  I'll update when it becomes available.

 

Reliability?  Heh, I don't trust any prediction until I can measure it on the ground!

post #22 of 25

Storms coming in now. Temp is dropping in Park City,the wind is howling, and it's getting dark and humid with heavy clouds. I'm betting my day off on Alta tomorrow. Rain is doubtful at that altitude, but anything's possible, I guess. I'm expecting boo coo snow and midwinter conditions tomorrow. Check this.

 

 

P.S. The first flakes just started coming down in PC. Cottonwoods are going to get clobbered.

post #23 of 25

Left Alta today at about 2:30 and it just started to snow. Skiing today was like skiing on granite . The strong winds scoured the surface . The snow can't come soon enough or deep enough. Skiing the past couple of days would be considered poor everywhere in the east.

 

Its been a real conditions abberation out here the past couple of days.

post #24 of 25

Not a big enough dump is my concern. Tuesday may be the call because it takes at least a foot of Utah blower just to cover the granite. Let's see what the morning report brings....

post #25 of 25

I'm bringing my passport just in case, lol.....

 

I read somewhere some weather guy talking about anotehr low coming in end of March early April. I may have to stay 2 weeks!

 

Looks like Wyoming and Idaho are really getting hit how far a drive is Jackson? 

 

Vince F just sent me a mail with the link to Snowbird check it out. Slowly but surely.

 

www.snowbird.com/snowcam.html


Edited by theconz - 3/23/2009 at 03:03 am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Where to ski this Saturday in Utah