New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WHERE DO I MOVE TO!

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

I'm so sick of living in cities and i'm ready to give it all up and get the heck out.

The question is where should i go? i just got back from tahoe and i think i could live there the rest of my life, also colorado has great resorts in reasonable distances from each other, or do i just move to jackson hole and raise cows and snowboard all day?

I'm a freerider by nature, i like to wander off in the woods and jump off boulders and slash powder pillows and if i must ride a groomer, i would be they guy flying by everyone else carving all around looking for something to play with. The park is the last place you'll find me but i'm going to start riding park a little more. so yea. tahoe or CO.

I'm a 27 yr old single male and i'm just now figuring it out, and i have a powder obsession. or addiction rather.  Must move to big mountains.

post #2 of 13

I'm 33 and was in a similar position... until this season. I chucked it all in November, and moved to SLC. The area has (IMO) the best skiing in the world (Tahoe? Please), and is civilized enough to afford some of the comforts of a bigger city. (I moved here from Manhattan).

 

I'm not staying year-round, but having been to both Tahoe and Jackson, and just about everywhere in Colorado, I must recommend Utah.

post #3 of 13

Good question.  Jackson is fantastic, great town, great hill but nothing else around for days.  But so cool!

 

Utah, great skiing, lousy towns, it's Utah after all

 

Colorado, decent to great skiing, depending upon the area very diverse.  Summit County is packed, Eagle County not as packed and decent but the towns are weird. Aspen, cool town, too many snobs, good skiing.  Crested Butte - see notes on Jackson

post #4 of 13

I'd vote for Utah too. Can't beat the snow. Can't beat the accessibility. Plenty of diverse riding to be had all within close proximity of the metro area. I can't think of any other place where you have such access to jobs, affordable real estate and world class skiing. I made a similar move about 2 1/2 years ago when I was 26 and I spent most of that time in Steamboat, which was a great ski town but way too expensive and isolated. After moving here, I haven't looked back-- a great all around experience. F all the anti-UT crap, stick to SLC or Park City and you can still party and have all the skiing you need.

post #5 of 13

If you move to Utah and are not a mormon then my advice would be SLC or Park City. However, in you post you said that you are sick of living in cities.  If so, then I would suggest Montana. Great skiing and no large cities.

post #6 of 13

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsosmart View Post

 

I'm 33 and was in a similar position... until this season. I chucked it all in November, and moved to SLC. The area has (IMO) the best skiing in the world (Tahoe? Please), and is civilized enough to afford some of the comforts of a bigger city. (I moved here from Manhattan).

 

I'm not staying year-round, but having been to both Tahoe and Jackson, and just about everywhere in Colorado, I must recommend Utah.

 

notsosmart - I am very jealous. I just got back from PC and every time my wife and I return we say that we should move there. Congrats and enjoy.

 

That being said I agree with Utah, but not the mormon thing. If you are in SLC or PC you should be fine. I can't speak for Provo or the rest of the state, but then again you want to ride so why would you live in another part of the state. Pleanty of access to cheap housing and jobs. Plus I heard a story on the news while out there that there is a bill pending before the legislature that would reform the liquor laws and bring them into modern times.

 

One caveat on the jobs thing. I hung out with a friend who moved from NYC to PC one year ago. She worked on the street and got out in time. Very intellident girl, she said that she had no luck finding jobs outside of the moutain and resaurants. Then again her mountain job did allow her to ski free.

post #7 of 13

The whole world is beautiful, but some places are better suited to one over another ... having said and read your question, I suggest Crested Butte!  It has the skiing you like, the backcountry as in millions of acres of open space, an adventurous attitude, and amazingly kind and friendly people.  Come check it out and you'll probably want to stay! :)

post #8 of 13

For me the key to jobs is that you can avoid the whole resort-town gigs and actually have access to a city job market. SLC isn't a huge city, but it is a major economic hub with plenty of job opportunities. Nearly any other resort that you move to your stuck either bringing a telecommute job with you (which is great if you're one of the few that has that flexibility) or you're stuck working low-paying tourist industry jobs. Living in/next to the mountains and having access to work in a city is what sets Utah apart. The commute from PC to SLC isn't the best, but it's possible.
 

 

From what I know Provo is very Mormon and not the most chill place to live. Another great option in addition to SLC/PC is Ogden about an hour north. It's a mid-size city of about 80K, with everything you need. It's a young, active city and seems pretty liberal from what I know, not too heavily influenced by the Mormons. It's also got access to the two sleeping giants of UT skiing in Snowbasin and Powder, as well as an easy trip down the interstate to other resorts and SLC. It's made nearly every list of top outdoor cities in the country (Outside Magazine, Climbing Magazine, Ski Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, etc. etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSkier55 View Post

 

 

 

notsosmart - I am very jealous. I just got back from PC and every time my wife and I return we say that we should move there. Congrats and enjoy.

 

That being said I agree with Utah, but not the mormon thing. If you are in SLC or PC you should be fine. I can't speak for Provo or the rest of the state, but then again you want to ride so why would you live in another part of the state. Pleanty of access to cheap housing and jobs. Plus I heard a story on the news while out there that there is a bill pending before the legislature that would reform the liquor laws and bring them into modern times.

 

One caveat on the jobs thing. I hung out with a friend who moved from NYC to PC one year ago. She worked on the street and got out in time. Very intellident girl, she said that she had no luck finding jobs outside of the moutain and resaurants. Then again her mountain job did allow her to ski free.


 

 

post #9 of 13

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince F View Post

 

If you move to Utah and are not a mormon then my advice would be SLC or Park City. However, in you post you said that you are sick of living in cities.  If so, then I would suggest Montana. Great skiing and no large cities.

 

I notice you're in Utah, but sending him here.  Back at you.

post #10 of 13

You guys are seriously replying at all to a post titled "where should I move?"

Damn it! I guess that I just did too! 

post #11 of 13


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

 

 

 

I notice you're in Utah, but sending him here.  Back at you.

True. When I moved to UT 20 years ago from Phoenix, SLC seemed like a small town and not a real city. I laughed at what they called rush-hour traffic, etc. Now, many of the reasons for moving here have disappeared as more people have also moved here. Still not bad and in some ways better than before (but that would be a different topic).  If I left here it would most likely be Montana. The OP said he was sick of cities, therefore, the Montana suggestion. Otherwise keep Montana a secret so it doesn't get ruined.
 

post #12 of 13
Quote:
For me the key to jobs is that you can avoid the whole resort-town gigs and actually have access to a city job market. SLC isn't a huge city, but it is a major economic hub with plenty of job opportunities. Nearly any other resort that you move to your stuck either bringing a telecommute job with you (which is great if you're one of the few that has that flexibility) or you're stuck working low-paying tourist industry jobs. Living in/next to the mountains and having access to work in a city is what sets Utah apart. The commute from PC to SLC isn't the best, but it's possible.
 

Very true! In CO., my husband and I do both the resort thing and the telecommuting thing. If he wanted to work in Denver, it would be at least a 75 minute commute each way, sometimes more when there's traffic and/or weather. This year, the local businesses, including the resorts, have been cutting jobs like crazy

post #13 of 13


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishapeitsok View Post

 

i would be they guy flying by everyone else

 

 

don't count on it

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion