EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Squaw 2009-2010 Season Pass price drop
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Squaw 2009-2010 Season Pass price drop

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
post #2 of 22

I think that silver might be the way to go (if I lived near Squaw).

post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 

Well, silver is an unbelievable deal for Squaw- remember, the only option for this season's pass was like $1,800 if bought in September, so this a major change in SV's pricing policies.    Somehow I think that the gold pass is probably the one that may end up a better deal if you ski a lot over the holidays, as most of us who have regular jobs do...  I still cannot convince myself that the Gold is worth it over the Silver.  I think you have to be filthy rich or insane to buy the Paltinum.  

The downside of this program probably is that you probably can forget about first tracks on the Powder day- people with Platinum passes are going to get them now.   Still, I can take that for a $500 pass. 

post #4 of 22

"Access to Squaw out of bounds program"

 

 

Anyone can comment on this program? I am not sure what is the value of this program. My skill is not high enough to ski OB in Squaw, cannot handle the IB stuff yet.

 

post #5 of 22

I have never considered a Squaw Season Pass.  This is a whle different kind of deal:

 

An adult full season pass at Squaw used to cost $1,449 if bought by July 15, $1,549 if bought by Sept. 1 and $1,889 if purchased afterward. The new prices will be $369 Bronze pass (a season pass with the most blackout dates), $469 for a Silver pass (with fewer blackouts) and $949 Gold pass (unrestricted). They will be called "50/60" passes, denoting the 60th anniversary of the founding of the resort and 50th anniversary of the 1960 Winter Olympics, brought to the steep Sierran bowl by founder Alex Cushing.

The "50/60" passes cannot be used this spring. There is a spring pass, costing $179, and good from March 29 through May 10, or whenever afterward the resort may close due to conditions.

post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 

Well, I actually ski on a Squaw pass this season, and I will barely do better than I would have done with a frequent skier card (every 5th day free).   I do love the freedom of the pass though- you can ski whenever you want and you are not forced to make a judgment call of "is this weather worth my money".   These passes are a no-brainer.

 

 

post #7 of 22

Wow...  Silver pass for me is $369.  That's ridiculous.  Bravo, Squaw. 

post #8 of 22

$369 or $469 is a great price for a Squaw pass. Northstar and Sierra offer the double whammy good either Sunday-Friday  Northstar and everyday @ Sierra, with Blackout dates for $329 or without blackout dates for $429, which I was going to invest in for next year. However the Squaw deal is too good to turn down, essentially getting the Squaw terrain and snow quality for another $40. They are definitly competing for the lower cost pass $ now. In all liklihood I will go for the Squaw pass as it's just more mountain if you are an advanced or expert skier. Northstar has great amenities and grooms out the mountain well and have lots of good high speed chairs and Lookout Mtn is a nice little piece of advanced terrain and has opened a back country gate and is expanding. I just skied there 3 days and it was great, but it's hard to compare to the Big Dog in Tahoe, Squaw, KT-22, Headwall and Granite Chief are staples and Silverado, Red Dog Expert terrain and Broken Arrow when open make it tough to beat this deal. It may be a one year deal but it's a good one.

post #9 of 22


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

 

I still cannot convince myself that the Gold is worth it over the Silver.  I think you have to be filthy rich or insane to buy the Paltinum.  

The downside of this program probably is that you probably can forget about first tracks on the Powder day- people with Platinum passes are going to get them now.   Still, I can take that for a $500 pass. 

While the first ups for a Platinum once a month, may cut a little into first tracks. And you are correct, filthy rich and crazy would be the qualifing factors for wanting this pass, two things that aren't in short supply at Squaw. I don't really think it will be that big of a deal. Quanities ARE limited according managers there, not in the PR dept. (think Mammoth MVP pass), also getting fresh lines at Squaw has to do with knowing where to go and being able to ski fast. Storms days will be just as good and other mountains will have to respond around here.
 

 

Now that being said the Silver is a smoking deal for Squaw. I don't know what prices go to after this offer is over, but I'm guessing close to normal. Money is still tight out there these days.

 

But if you do buy the Platinum pass you do get to ski with John Mosley aka the "Muffin Man" LOL.

post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 

Gold vs. silver:  well, here is the calculation:

 

The difference between Gold and Silver pass is $480 (in fact it is $400 if you count the 4 $20 coupons you get for your SO's ticket).  

 

Blackout dates: 10 days total (6 days between Christmas and NY, and MLK and Presidents weekends.  AT current Holiday prices at Squaw  ($83/day) you will pay and extra $830.   So if you ski Squaw all those days, you will be much better with the Gold pass, especially if your SO with a Silver pass plans ski some of those days.  

 

Basically, if you ski at least 50% (5 days) of the blackout dates at Squaw, you will still be better off with a Gold pass than with the Silver; and this is assuming that the value of the free group lessons is zero.    

 

My take is that if you don't have kids and hate the holiday crowds, you should buy the Silver, if you are skiing when the school is out and/or at least one of the long weekends, Gold makes more sense for you.  Platinum is still ridiculous (even given the chance to ski with "Muffin Man" Mosley).  Truthfully, I really enjoyed the chance to see Mosley ski over Christmas (for free), he is a very nice guy and a phenomenal skier.   

 

 

post #11 of 22

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

 

I think you have to be filthy rich or insane to buy the Paltinum. 

 

Or be able to write it off for client entertainment and such.

 

Because of the blackout dates on the Silver, and the fact that the Bronze is good every day starting in March, Silver only gets you an extra four or five days of skiing.  If you're going to ski no more than one of those, go Bronze.

 

FYI, Alpine just sent out an email saying they're making big announcements about passes next week. Hmmm.

post #12 of 22

Squaw is my favorite mountain in Tahoe, but I don't get why their passes are so expensive.  I have a Heavenly pass with six total blackout dates for the entire season and it's $349 -- It's like that every year.  That's a killer deal.  Had Kirkwood last year for about the same price.  Maybe it's the fact that it's a Vail resort now, so they can keep the prices down?  Squaw is just ridiculous expensive.

post #13 of 22


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiesnow View Post

 

Squaw is my favorite mountain in Tahoe, but I don't get why their passes are so expensive.  I have a Heavenly pass with six total blackout dates for the entire season and it's $349 -- It's like that every year.  That's a killer deal.  Had Kirkwood last year for about the same price.  Maybe it's the fact that it's a Vail resort now, so they can keep the prices down?  Squaw is just ridiculous expensive.

Oh, please don't compare Squaw to Heavenly, even at last years price it is a easy decision. Their passes were expensive because you get what you pay for. If the ecomony hadn't crashed I don't expect this would have happened. The board has been pressuring Nancy to do something like this for a while now.
 

 

Anyway was on Squaws web site this morning looking at the FAQs, the Platinum pass early ups is only good for the groomers and it looks like only on Sundays.

 

I wondered how they were going to manage first ups on a powder day at KT. I had visions of some couple with their platinum passes around their necks, while wearing one piece outfits getting pelted with snowballs while loading in front of the hardcores. I would have paided to see that actually.

post #14 of 22
Quote:

FYI, Alpine just sent out an email saying they're making big announcements about passes next week. Hmmm.

They had best do something. Their current non rollover of the spring pass combined with the early closing in what now has the potential to be a long season has the natives grumbling.

 

I had a Jr freeride camp in the planning stages for late April at Alpine but was getting the runaround on dates and non answers on the closing dates so I've had to look elsewhere.

 

Alpine is trying to be the old Squaw and Squaw is trying to be the old Alpine.........................

 

 

 

SJ

post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiesnow View Post

 

Squaw is my favorite mountain in Tahoe, but I don't get why their passes are so expensive. 

Squaw is your favorite mountain in Tahoe and you are wondering why it is is expensive ... Maybe the first part of the sentence tells you something about the second... .  

 

I am biased, as I considered the discounted price for a pass this season to be almost worth it (and with a spring pass credit worth it), so I am very thrilled with the new prices.  And the Silver pass will now let my wife ski on a pass too, which will make her ski more and give her freedom to ski whenever she wants, which will also make juggling the kids easier... 

 

I was always questioning the wisdom of Squaw's pass policy- it was designed to limit the mountain only to very wealthy people and to local residents who can ski 100+ days/year.   While it is an admirable goals, it is a dumb business model, even in the generally wealthy Tahoe market.   I recently met a former  Squaw ski instructor (!) who owns property in Tahoe (and comes up very often), who told me that she didn't buy a pass at Squaw  because it was too expensive.  I also know at least 6 other people who would not mind skiing at Squaw but had Northstar passes for years because they were that much cheaper and actually made sense to a normal weekender.   This is really nuts.

 

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but passholders are very good for a resort, as they tend to bring other people.  For example, last weekend we brought 15+ other people (adult and kids) to Squaw who paid for ski school, lunches and lift tickets.  A big reason was that I have a pass there.  So, in that day Squaw probably got enough money to cover at least half of my pass costs, so why can't they subsidize my pass a little bit, it is good business practice.  

 

Squaw will always command a higher price premium because of its terrain, reputation, and the amount of good skiers that ski there, but hopefully their pricing will now be designed to attract also a dedicated weekender, who probably make up for quite a large portion of the market.  And these people have kids who go to lessons and teams, and bring friends, so it DOES make a solid business sense to target them.  Of course the image will be less snooty, but I am not sure it is a bad thing.    The line at KT22 on powder days will be just as wild, I promise....

post #16 of 22

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

 

They had best do something. Their current non rollover of the spring pass combined with the early closing in what now has the potential to be a long season has the natives grumbling.

 

 

Hi SierraJim,

 

Care to elaborate on the Alpine closing date?  Thanks.

 

-D

post #17 of 22

They have been coy about fixing a date but suffice to say, well before May 1 and way earlier than necessary.

 

Dartroom guess.....mid April.

 

SJ

post #18 of 22


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

 

They have been coy about fixing a date but suffice to say, well before May 1 and way earlier than necessary.

 

Dartroom guess.....mid April.

 

SJ

Word on the street, actually on the lift at Squaw and in the Squaw parking lot has the last day of Alpine as April 19th. This were two seperate groups who I know and both said the same thing.

However that opens it up to someone with a pair of skins and some time to harvest that corn in Estalle.

post #19 of 22

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ske-Bum View Post

 


 

Oh, please don't compare Squaw to Heavenly, even at last years price it is a easy decision. Their passes were expensive because you get what you pay for. If the ecomony hadn't crashed I don't expect this would have happened. The board has been pressuring Nancy to do something like this for a while now.
 

 

Anyway was on Squaws web site this morning looking at the FAQs, the Platinum pass early ups is only good for the groomers and it looks like only on Sundays.

 

I wondered how they were going to manage first ups on a powder day at KT. I had visions of some couple with their platinum passes around their necks, while wearing one piece outfits getting pelted with snowballs while loading in front of the hardcores. I would have paided to see that actually.

 

 

Ahh.. I really wasn't comparing the two, just the discrepancy in price.  I like squaw better, just not $1100 better for a similar pass (per the last few years passes).  Last year I had a Kirkwood pass and a Heavenly pass for $700, which is about half the cost of a squaw pass.  Nonetheless, beauty is in th eye of the beholder.  I Love the tree skiing at Heavenly and I love the aggressive terrain at Kirkwood.  

 

It's a moot point for me though, because I live 25 min from Heavenly and 40 from Kirkwood and about an hour and 15 min from squaw.  I was just trying to reconcile the difference in price between the neighboring resorts and squaw.

post #20 of 22

I was just reading an article on Unofficial Squaw about how KSL's cheap pass prices have reeked havoc on KT-22 powder days,  and while I think they may have something about the cheaper pass' increasing skier count, including powder days, I'm not so sure that its a KSL thing, since this thread date is from a full 1 1/2 years before KSL bought Squaw Valley.

 

Thoughts?

 

post #21 of 22

I read somewhere the price drop was necessary to facilitate the eventual sale to KSL.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

I was just reading an article on Unofficial Squaw about how KSL's cheap pass prices have reeked havoc on KT-22 powder days,  and while I think they may have something about the cheaper pass' increasing skier count, including powder days, I'm not so sure that its a KSL thing, since this thread date is from a full 1 1/2 years before KSL bought Squaw Valley.

 

Thoughts?

 



 

post #22 of 22

That is certainly a possibility, but there is a part of me that wonders if its had a positive impact on the village income since the lower pass $$ draws more people on a daily basis.

 

I was not around before the cheap pass prices, so I am not sure how they have had an effect on traffic, just guessing, and asking.

 

Crazy tho, eh?

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Squaw 2009-2010 Season Pass price drop