New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Big Sky Conditions Report

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

Today at Big Sky they're forecasting packed powder conditions, partly sunny skies, and relatively mild temps. The snow depth at mid-mountain is 58" and on the upper mountain is 87". Snow showers are being forecast from Saturday through the week ahead.

 

Website

post #2 of 26

I am sorry, but you need to be held to a higher standard. We need at least 6" of fresh every day for the week.  Now get working. 

post #3 of 26

ULLR likes burnt offerings.  Anybody have some old straight Rossis we can burn? 

post #4 of 26
Thread Starter 

Who's you? I hear dancing naked under a full moon sometimes brings on the snow...or the cops.

post #5 of 26

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo View Post

 

Who's you? I hear dancing naked under a full moon sometimes brings on the snow...or the cops.

 

(sigh) ...  been there, done that...  doesn't work (except for the cops part)

post #6 of 26

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirl1961 View Post

 

ULLR likes burnt offerings.  Anybody have some old straight Rossis we can burn? 

 

I have lots of old straight Rossis but (as Charleston Heston used to say) "You'll have to pry them from my cold, dead fingers."  On the other hand, feel free to try them out while in SW Montana.  The 223cm 1972 Rossi Descentes are perfect for bombing Big Horn.

post #7 of 26

Sorry Phil, if you wanted 6" of fresh every day you should have been there last week but I predict there will be at least one more big storm cycle between now and ESA.

Unfortunately (?)if you were there this week you will be burdened with a deep snow base and bright sun all day. No fresh powder, but oh so much fun!

post #8 of 26

So, I should bring the mid-fats and forget the ice skates, right?

post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 

Yes!

post #10 of 26

One week!

I'll be on a plane in one week and heading to meet a buncha Bears! Yay!!!

 

Shall I pack my Down Jacket? 

post #11 of 26

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

 

One week!

I'll be on a plane in one week and heading to meet a buncha Bears! Yay!!!

 

Shall I pack my Down Jacket? 

 

No, Midwesterners are suppose to identify themselves by skiing in an NFL or NHL jacket.  Bring a Lions or Redwings jacket instead.

post #12 of 26
Thread Starter 

Last week I saw the "Indiana Drinking Team" emblazoned in white with the distinctive IU logo on a red one-piece "hog-barn" ensemble...you'll want to top that. 

post #13 of 26

LOL, I only have access to a KC Cheifs or Packers jacket.  I can't remember ever being  a Lions fan, however I have been known to follow the Wings, Pistons and Tigers.

 

post #14 of 26

I'm wearing my fanny pack & high tops. That'll work, right? RIGHT?!?!

post #15 of 26

So, what's the conditions like now?  I skied Vail yesterday, and it was good -- after 11:30, that is.  Before it was icy, and I never use the term icy to refer to skiing in Colorado.  However, yesterday was the exception, as there were sheets of blue ice in sections.  That being said, when it finally warmed up, the mashed potatoes were really good.

 

What's the likelihood we will have winter snow at BS like we did last year?

 

Mike 

post #16 of 26
Thread Starter 

Today's report:

 

New Snow 4" Powder Alert!
Surface Conditions

Powder


Today's Word:

Deal of the Day:  $3 drafts of the day and $12 steak dinners at chets. We received 4" of snow this morning, then the skies cleared up and it is now a beautiful day.  But be prepared because a storm system is approaching Big Sky and should give us even more snow.


The Way I Ski It

As I sit down to write this reflecting on the past few days, all I can say is wow! Saturday and Sunday were wonderful sunny days punctuated with some ominous snow clouds rolling through. Read More...

Last 24 hours 5"
Last 48 hours 5"
Depth Mid-Mountain 56"
Depth Upper-Mountain 83"
Percentage Open 100%
Acres Open 3,812
Runs Open 150 of 150
post #17 of 26

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo View Post

 

Today's report:

 

New Snow 4" Powder Alert!
Surface Conditions

Powder


Today's Word:

Deal of the Day:  $3 drafts of the day and $12 steak dinners at chets. We received 4" of snow this morning, then the skies cleared up and it is now a beautiful day.  But be prepared because a storm system is approaching Big Sky and should give us even more snow.


The Way I Ski It

As I sit down to write this reflecting on the past few days, all I can say is wow! Saturday and Sunday were wonderful sunny days punctuated with some ominous snow clouds rolling through. Read More...

Last 24 hours 5"
Last 48 hours 5"
Depth Mid-Mountain 56"
Depth Upper-Mountain 83"
Percentage Open 100%
Acres Open 3,812
Runs Open 150 of 150

post #18 of 26

 A step in the right direction. 

post #19 of 26

Thanks Joan.  Looks promising.

 

How's the snow is holding up at the higher elevations?  It looks like they had a number of days last week in the 50's.  I wonder if there's a lot of winter snow left (meaning I bring the ac40's and the Mantra's) or if it got pretty wet (meaning I bring a GS ski and one of the other 2).

 

Mike 

post #20 of 26

Marcus Fire,  What do I do at the Huntley Sunday.  Use my name, yours etc.??

post #21 of 26
Thread Starter 

The people at the front desk know who's rooming with whom, that is, if I gleaned the information correctly.

post #22 of 26

Who's in charge of scheduling the snow?  The three nights in a row of powder appears to have come a week earlier than requested.

 

post #23 of 26
Thread Starter 

Yeah, I have a beef with Ma Nature for dumping 6 inches in my lawn and only leaving some dust on Cap'n Crunch at the ski area. I am hoping the 10" that are forecast tonight fall in the right place.

post #24 of 26
Thread Starter 

14" at Big Sky in the past 48 hours. Another storm tonight!

post #25 of 26

Woo - Hoo !!!!

post #26 of 26

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post

 

Who's in charge of scheduling the snow?  The three nights in a row of powder appears to have come a week earlier than requested.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo View Post

 

14" at Big Sky in the past 48 hours. Another storm tonight!

evidently the snow gods are listening to nolo 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Epicski Academy