New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

More Bachelor BS....

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

It seems that Bachelor, starting tomorrow, is going to be opening at 9:00 instead of 8:30, 7 days a week: http://www2.mtbachelor.com/winter/services/snow_report/conditions.html

 

"Starting on Monday, March 9th Mt Bachelor will open at 9am to offer enough daylight prior to opening. NWX last chair will be moved back to 3:45pm"

 

I checked the sunrise tomorrow, and it is at 7:26am.  Oddly enough, December 9th through January 26th featured a sunrise at 7:26am or earlier, yet the mountain (once open mid-December) was open every day at 8:30.  Yet, now there is "not enough daylight to operate".  In years past, weekends/holidays always saw 3 lifts at 8:00, even Christmas.  

 

Ok, so operating revenues are down and they want to cut staffing hours.  Like most passholders, I don't agree, but if they want to save a few $ by limiting the ski day, at least come out and say so. Don't lie by coming up with an excuse that doesn't hold up to scrutiny.  What is next: announcing the closing day by saying " we have decided to close mid-April.  There is too much sun in the sky and too much snow coverage: skiers are getting snow-blindness, therefore next Sunday will be our last operational day.  Sorry to all those who purchased passes upon assumption that we would be operating until our normal mid-May end of season"?  

 

 

post #2 of 20

Geez, doesn't that suck.

 

I sometimes think that skiing is going the way of pay more, get less.

post #3 of 20

Powdr Corpse rears it's ugly head. This just in. Rumor going around that Flachelor will close in APRIL! Boooooo. There's more but I don't want to go there at this time.

post #4 of 20
Thread Starter 

Yeah, I heard that too. Instead of trying to bring in more skiers, they take the "easy/corporate" route and just cut costs, then cut more costs.  Sure, looks great in the short term when getting reviewed by management (hey, I saved you X amount of $ this year!) but when you piss people off in a competitive market, you just lose in the long run.  They did the same thing with the food: quality dropped to an all-time low, with only a slight decrease in price. I am sure profit is higher, but customer satisfaction is lower, judging from what everyone says.  

 

Why not try to increase your customer base?   Run a spring special: run 2 lifts weekends only, sell tickets for $35/day, make it a big deal to go skiing this spring. They used to do this, and it created a very loyal customer base.  This mountain is blessed with great snow, probably can ski most years until mid-June, and we used to do July 4th just a few years ago.  Hoodoo is offering $295 season passes for 09/10 if purchased next week, plus ski free the rest of this year.  Trying to get more interest, more people on the hill: what a novel idea.  Hey Bachelor, anyone awake at the wheel?  Hello..... 

post #5 of 20

I know lots of folks are highly disappointed at the management of Bachelor, and I can't speak specifically about Bachelor's situation, but...   But where I ski business is way down, all types of skiing business.  Even the big dump days are somewhat slower than usual, good days without big dumps are dead, ski school business is way down, sales of dry $9 hamburgers are down, and even the kid's multiweek programs are way down.  Cutbacks are being made everywhere.  Among the regular skiers I chat with, one of the main topics are about the ones who've already been laid off, and the ones who's employers have announced that, "serious discussions will be held."  Discounted lift tickets may bring in a few extra customers, but enough to more than cover the discount?...questionable. 

 

Economists talk about the elasticity of demand...how much demand for a good or service is increased due to price cuts.  Don't assume that any particular demand (ski tickets or anything else) has demand elasticity.  The famous example is the price of salt...if salt was half price, would you buy twice as much?  If the family budget is tight, would you buy more than twice as many half-price ski tickets?  (Elasticity of supply is the opposite...how much supply is increased with price raises.)

post #6 of 20

I heard that visits are down about 50% and ski school bookings are down about 60%.  I feel for those working the mtn...The got started 2-3 weeks later than usual, Jan was really slow with hardly a snowflake fallen and if they close early...bummer.  May have to earn the turns if there's sufficent skiing left.

post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikegirl View Post

 

I heard that visits are down about 50% and ski school bookings are down about 60%.  I feel for those working the mtn...The got started 2-3 weeks later than usual, Jan was really slow with hardly a snowflake fallen and if they close early...bummer.  May have to earn the turns if there's sufficent skiing left.

There will be, lots of snow falling, more on the way!  The season is just getting started. I may have to do an extra trip to Snowbird or Tahoe this spring.  It sucks for me, as I only got the OK to ski 3 weeks ago and have 2-3 more weeks before I am allowed to ski full speed. 

post #8 of 20


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post

 

 

There will be, lots of snow falling, more on the way!  The season is just getting started. I may have to do an extra trip to Snowbird or Tahoe this spring.  It sucks for me, as I only got the OK to ski 3 weeks ago and have 2-3 more weeks before I am allowed to ski full speed. 

I would not rush out and buy airline tickets to Reno counting on skiing Tahoe in April. Before this last big storm, the rumor mill had both Alpine and Squaw shutting down on April first. Easter may be a better bet now, but besides this weekend Tahoe has been slow. 
 

post #9 of 20

T-line is just up the road.

post #10 of 20

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post

 

T-line is just up the road.

 

Yeah, but just up the road = 2.5 hours instead of 20 minutes if you live in Bend. Nonetheless, I think your point is that in 2008, Timberline was closed for ONE WEEK for scheduled maintenance. Gotta love Timberline's commitment to staying open.

post #11 of 20

"Pine Marten, Skyliner and Sunrise are opened on-time at 9:00am and Sunshine is looking good for 9:30 this morning. We are pushing to get Summit open this morning. If we are not able to get it running we will spin Rainbow.

Yesterday's snow was incredible - nice, light and dreamy and should be just as good again today! This morning the east-side of the mountain is basking in the sun while the west-side is coated in clouds. Visibility comes and goes at the very tops of the lifts. We've had a couple of breif, snow showers this morning and more are expected throughout the day. It is going to be a fantastic day with this snow! Stay tuned for Summit, we all know that its gonna be some of the sweetest turns if it goes!"

 

So...are they already starting to scale back the number of chairs they are going to operate?

post #12 of 20

 

 

Empty idle chairs last June 15. Not a rock in sight. It would be shame to shut down two months early!

post #13 of 20

Good-day Bachelor skiers & riders. First I would like to retract my statement concerning a rumor of closing in April. I have spoken to upper management and they have assured me that this is not the case. I also spoke to a few other ppl and got the same answer. Let's give the new guy a chance and take his word on this. The skiing dosn't get much better than the last 2 days. Who's up for the Summit on Tuesday,you know I'll be there.

post #14 of 20

See you up there!


Edited by newfydog - 3/9/2009 at 10:57 pm
post #15 of 20

I'll be up tomorrow.  I'll probably spend part of the day in a lesson cause I suck in the powder. Might be close to my last chance of the year.

post #16 of 20


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikegirl View Post

 

I'll be up tomorrow.  I'll probably spend part of the day in a lesson cause I suck in the powder. Might be close to my last chance of the year.


 

Sounds like you've had a tough time recently. Watch your top-notch. We can't have Bears falling into holes, so the Vent holes around the Mt. will be marked. Thanks A.K. Hope to see you tomorrow just look for the skinny skis.

post #17 of 20

Ahoy Epicskiers. I've been on TGR for years and a bunch of the eastern forums - forgot I had this login too. Here's a copy of a recent email reply I gave to a guest about the 9 am change. The daylight is one reason. Being effecient in a brutal economy is another. No doubt. I am proud to say (and hope you would agree) that this year you have seen less Bachelor BS, not more. AK

 

The main reason for the change is because we now have 1 less hour of daylight to get the mountain ready. We need that time of daylight to do lift and trail prep. That’s just one reason of many for the change. Keeping the 8:30 and having an entire hour less daylight would make lifts far less likely to open on time, especially on storm days, and we want to make sure we can deliver to expectations sustainably. Of course last year we opened at 9 a.m. every M-F, which I am guessing is when you work anyway?
 
Also, the NWX express will be staying open an extra 15 mins if you care to take advantage of that in the afternoons.
 
The other reason and one that I want to take the opportunity to convey, is simple planning. We aim to keep the lifts running into May again. Doing that in this economic climate is going to take efficiencies. Some of that will mean certain lift or lodges schedules will be adjusted midweek , and other amenities will be scaled back, in order to keep the lifts turning for you. We see this is our primary task. Now through April, operational adjustments will continue, in order to operate sustainably at a time when tourism is taking a massive hit everywhere including skiing. In this economic climate, our two reasonable options are to shut down early completely, or go deep into May while making changes to stay efficient. Right now our plan is to stay efficient.
 
 

 

 

post #18 of 20
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAK View Post

 

Ahoy Epicskiers. I've been on TGR for years and a bunch of the eastern forums - forgot I had this login too. Here's a copy of a recent email reply I gave to a guest about the 9 am change. The daylight is one reason. Being effecient in a brutal economy is another. No doubt. I am proud to say (and hope you would agree) that this year you have seen less Bachelor BS, not more. AK

 

The main reason for the change is because we now have 1 less hour of daylight to get the mountain ready. We need that time of daylight to do lift and trail prep. That’s just one reason of many for the change. Keeping the 8:30 and having an entire hour less daylight would make lifts far less likely to open on time, especially on storm days, and we want to make sure we can deliver to expectations sustainably. Of course last year we opened at 9 a.m. every M-F, which I am guessing is when you work anyway?
 
Also, the NWX express will be staying open an extra 15 mins if you care to take advantage of that in the afternoons.
 
The other reason and one that I want to take the opportunity to convey, is simple planning. We aim to keep the lifts running into May again. Doing that in this economic climate is going to take efficiencies. Some of that will mean certain lift or lodges schedules will be adjusted midweek , and other amenities will be scaled back, in order to keep the lifts turning for you. We see this is our primary task. Now through April, operational adjustments will continue, in order to operate sustainably at a time when tourism is taking a massive hit everywhere including skiing. In this economic climate, our two reasonable options are to shut down early completely, or go deep into May while making changes to stay efficient. Right now our plan is to stay efficient.

 

 
 

 

 

 

Great! They need to post this on their website, otherwise it sounds like they are being dis-honest with regards to the lifts and opening time.  I completely understand where they are coming from, just need to get the word out. A bit of communication goes a long way.

 

Regarding the incredible snow: I still have 2 weeks before I can venture off-piste.  Could my timing be worse? Everyone is raving about the snow right now: how often do we get 15 degree base temps and hardly any wind?  

post #19 of 20

Okay boys, I heard there was chest-deep powder down the back of the Summit.  I know they were blasting in the morning and opened about noon.  Any takers?  I was tooling around Outback/Northwest after my lesson because everyone bugged out.

post #20 of 20

I saw you taking a lesson yesterday. Wed. should be stellar. Maybe will bump into to you.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion