or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Big skis = can't ski? - Page 7

post #181 of 437

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post

 

karpiel:Show me someone skiing like this on skinny skis.

 

Talk to Ghost, apparently he has no problem doing that on ancient SG ski.

 Tomb,

Please.  Try to pay attention.

I never said I could ski like what karpiel posted on skinny SG skis.  That would be very difficult to do on SG racing skis.  The skis would be under the snow and not on it.  The skis would not be at all happy turned that far out of the direction of the line of travel.  SG racing skis were not made to ski sideways.  Have you ever skied a SG or DH ski?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpiel View Post

 

Wow, look at this total hack. He seriously needs to learn to ski and start using short skinny skis.

 

 

Show me someone skiing like this on skinny skis.

 

Now this below is a different way to ski.  Watch the video again.  Notice he says "I super-Ged it."  Notice he makes big swooping turns at very high speeds.  That is what super giant slalom racing skis (even skinny ones) were made for.  Notice it is inplied he made the run shown on the clip in 1995, not with ultra modern skis.   Nobis shows good skiing, but it is not something that could not be done with old super-g skis.

 

You know, I'm beginning to think you have never skied a pair of super-g racing skis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEast View Post

 

Oisen, that's BS.  Sure, some people made bigger turns than others in powder, but nothing like today.

 

Could anyone do this on old school equipment? (go to 3:00, though the whole video is great).

 

 

If I'm wrong...show me a video.

 

post #182 of 437

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Louie View Post

 

 

Consider the concept behind nolo's original post.
 

Think about this for a second. 

 

Let's assume for a second that all the folks nolo saw  finally got out of the terrain they were on and hit a groomer back to the lift.  Let's assume their skiing still doesn't look so great.....OK then what we MAY have is wide skis that helped folks "up their ability" off piste.

 

Now lets assume you really are out-skiing most on the hill spielerman, and looking for great skiers to follow and can't find them.  (I'm not doubting your ability level here s-man....just trying to make a point)

As I see it at this point there may be several reasons why you can't locate these people to follow.

1) They may not be out that day

2) It's really folks that are marginal skiers but have an advantage off piste due to gear, and choke when they hit the groomed,  because they use the same movements on piste as off.

or

3) With most everybody going up to skis in the 90mm plus range underfoot.....Isn't there a possibility that the width of that ski actually impedes "tip and rip" on groomers?  Maybe there are plenty of good skiers that don't look it, given what they are standing on.

 

I know I can't get my 81mm underfoot Blizzards to even come close to what my Tigersharks will do for me on groomed terrain, especially if the surface is frozen.  When I demoed some 100+ plus stuff.....tip...on groomed....not so much.

 

I'm sure this may extend the conversation here a bit longer,  but I think that anyone ON GROOMERS is going to have a far tougher time getting high edge angles on a 100+ cm ski vs something 70 and under.

 

Good skier......marginal skier....lousy skier, pick the right tool and you'll do better.  Want to find a REALLY good skier?  Pick the wrong tool for the job at hand, put them out on the hill on it and they look no different. (This of course would exclude being in a race course) 

 

 

I can assure you skis over a 90 waist are tip and rippable. I can also assure you this photo was taken half a second late.

post #183 of 437

Ah such fun ..

I may have missed any mention of ABasin (if so, sorry) but I'd certainly include the East Wall.

Here's a pic of my bud, Creed, hiking UP the runout - sorry I don't have a pic of the steep part.

Creed booting up East Wall at ABasin

Maybe this gets it - everything on the left 2/3ds of background is skiable (by some). The foreground is seriously decent blue tending to black runs. I don't pop the top of the E.Wall but I assure you the bottom 1/2 can, repeatedly, get your heart pumping. Great fun.

And while most of the `Zuma bowl is bogus, dropping in off the west side cornices is a guaranteed rush most days. Here's a view of the gentlest part:

The trees at the bottom seem somewhat compressed because you're looking almost straight down on them. This is the safe area with few rocks. Maybe I'll get some pix off MAX and some of the others when my knee untwists next week :-{ 

 

Whoops - this was supposed to go to Most Extreme Runs --- sorry.

 


Edited by Lighthead - 3/12/2009 at 05:22 am
post #184 of 437

Well done.

post #185 of 437

Sorry for being late to the party.

 

As for me I'm often on skis too big/fat for me and am the worst hack out there, so beware!

post #186 of 437


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpiel View Post

 

 

 

I can assure you skis over a 90 waist are tip and rippable. I can also assure you this photo was taken half a second late.

Excellent !  I'l be in your area for awhile in April.
 

 

Make a few runs together and you can show me, OK?

post #187 of 437

Wow, seven pages because someone mentioned "can't ski" and "fat skis" in the same sentence! I think "can't ski" is more relevant to the issue.  I would think that people who can ski would wish no one else would buy fat skis.  That way they'd get to ski more powder.

 

Bushwpa is right about one thing - there's no way Schmidt would ski the Poubelle Couloir in Blizzard of Ahh's like that anymore.  Way too many turns, too much work.  It would be interesting to see it filmed today skiing on something fatter. It would have much more flow and not be as choppy. The difference is the skis. In Steep you can also see the narrow ski difference with Eric Pehota and Trevor Petersen in BC.  They really have to bust out of the snow in a lot of places to make a turn and they have to make a lot of turns just as Coombs refers to in that quote above.  Pehota wouldn't ski like that today on current gear, Petersen doesn't have the chance.

 

I'll just throw down the gauntlet though and prove that fat skis suck.

Send me you Kuros, your Lhasa's, you're dp's and your Motherships.  I'll go try them at Slushman's or some other place with powder and tell you how much they suck.  Or just fly me to Alaska and bring  the skis.  Don't expect to get the skis back though...

post #188 of 437

Ghost:You know, I'm beginning to think you have never skied a pair of super-g racing skis.

 

This is not about me and what I can do. It is about you claiming that you can match Nobis' run on your SG skis. I find such statements hilarious, but I am also a little bothered by how easily you dismiss somebody as talented as Nobis.

post #189 of 437

You know what? Fat skis are fun.

post #190 of 437

Oh my god I just wasted an hour of my life reading that thread in its entirity.  What is wrong with me?

 

Personally, I like to check out everyone's skis and the diversity on the hill amazes me.  Skiing is fun. 

post #191 of 437


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthead View Post

 

Ah such fun ..

I may have missed any mention of ABasin (if so, sorry) but I'd certainly include the East Wall.

Here's a pic of my bud, Creed, hiking UP the runout - sorry I don't have a pic of the steep part.

Creed booting up East Wall at ABasin

Maybe this gets it - everything on the left 2/3ds of background is skiable (by some). The foreground is seriously decent blue tending to black runs. I don't pop the top of the E.Wall but I assure you the bottom 1/2 can, repeatedly, get your heart pumping. Great fun.

And while most of the `Zuma bowl is bogus, dropping in off the west side cornices is a guaranteed rush most days. Here's a view of the gentlest part:

The trees at the bottom seem somewhat compressed because you're looking almost straight down on them. This is the safe area with few rocks. Maybe I'll get some pix off MAX and some of the others when my knee untwists next week :-{ 

 

Whoops - this was supposed to go to Most Extreme Runs --- sorry.

 


Edited by Lighthead - 3/12/2009 at 05:22 am

That's ok.  I've skied most of those chutes with 205 slalom skis and no helmet.  That makes me really cool, really stupid. or really old, depending on what you got out of this thread.
 

post #192 of 437

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post

 

Ghost:You know, I'm beginning to think you have never skied a pair of super-g racing skis.

 

This is not about me and what I can do. It is about you claiming that you can match Nobis' run on your SG skis. I find such statements hilarious, but I am also a little bothered by how easily you dismiss somebody as talented as Nobis.

Actually, it's about your lack of reading comprehension.  I never said I could match Nobis.  I said I could "do this", as in ski down a steep face making big turns at high speed on old SG skis, as proof that it did not require "fat skis".   I never claimed I could do it as well as Nobis either.

 

It's the indian not the arrow. 

 

What skis did Nobis use  to super-g that face in the video anyway?

post #193 of 437

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

 

 

Actually, it's about your lack of reading comprehension.  I never said I could match Nobis.  I said I could "do this", as in ski down a steep face making big turns at high speed on old SG skis, as proof that it did not require "fat skis".   I never claimed I could do it as well as Nobis either.

 

It's the indian not the arrow. 

 

What skis did Nobis use  to super-g that face in the video anyway?

 

not sure what video but the first big line he did was on basically a long 8800.

 

He normally use 187 XXL at the bird which is hardly modern in some people's eye on this site.

post #194 of 437

Isn't an 8800 79mm underfoot? and soft?

post #195 of 437

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

 

Isn't an 8800 79mm underfoot? and soft?

 

88mm and the ones he was on wasnt soft.

post #196 of 437

Well that's impressive. (As if it wasn't before ! )

A lot of people would consider that 'skinny' or 'skinnyish'.

post #197 of 437

Actually, Nobis rode that on the first generation Legend Pro in a 194 length.  92mm under foot and a turning radius of 31 meters.  The ski was race room built to his specs, basically the Dynastar SG ski with some width

post #198 of 437


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierhj View Post

 

Actually, Nobis rode that on the first generation Legend Pro in a 194 length.  92mm under foot and a turning radius of 31 meters.  The ski was race room built to his specs, basically the Dynastar SG ski with some width


 

That 'race room' ski is one of my favorite skis of all time.  A bit stiffer than the consumer version and made with vertical sidewalls rather than the cap construction of the regular Inspireds that you'd see on the shop walls.  I stopped using it a few years ago, and I ended up selling it and passing it on, but damn, I sure wish I held on to it just for posterity sake.

post #199 of 437

QUOTE:
"I see a lot of people skiing in-bounds who wear helmets, carry a pack and shovel, maybe have their transceiver turned on. I often wonder what's in their packs: yesterday I spied a few cans of PBR poking out of a torn seam in the pack of the guy ahead of me in line at Schlausman's, which gave me one possible answer to that question. (Famous last words: "Here, hold my beer. Watch this!")""

 

 

Tsk, tsk.  I agree, Nolo.  Very irresponsible.  Unless those PBRs were empty, there's no excuse for using a torn pack to carry your beers.

 

Let that be a lesson to all - keep your beers safe at all times.  That's why it is good to have a buddy who can check your pack for tears and open zippers.

 

 

post #200 of 437
Quote:

 Originally posted by DonDenver

 

Whoa…if that “guarantee” is replaced with “bet” of a good lunch and dinner…I’m your huckleberry.  Along with that you front the airfare and T&E costs for my trouble.  Sounds right.  So how about SSV...a great visit and ski that would be 

Always up for a challange DonDenver. I don't know that I can flip the bill for your airfare, but if you're ever in the Fernie, Castle Mountain regon, I will certainly change the wording from "guarantee" to "bet". The price of a dinner is a small price to pay to ski with a great rider. Just remember to bring your skinny skis. The bet was a skinny ski vs. fat on a deep powder day. I'm sure that Castle or Fernie can provide the pow, you and I have to provide the gear and the tallent.

 

MMMMmmmm.... I can almost taste the free dinner


Edited by hossnphefer - 3/13/2009 at 03:38 pm
post #201 of 437

From what I've seen Don Denver can rip, so make sure you have the cash in case you have to pay! 

post #202 of 437

Posted this in another thread on crud.

 

Quote:
 

Originally Posted by nolo View Post

 

One of my favorite coaches once asked, by way of explaining how to ski manky, set-up snow, "If a guy was dying in your bathroom with the door locked, how would you save him?" "Well, I guess I'd get a run at it and bust down the door." "Ayup," he said.

 

That would be b.

I think the point of fat skis is that under those conditions the "bathroom door" is already unlocked.  Those with the skills at least will find it wide open and sail through. Those without the skills will still do some odd things to get it open and might crawl through.

post #203 of 437

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post

 

 

And everyone at Wilmot.

 

 

Aww, Jag, I made some of my first turns ever at Wilmot.  Thanks for jogging my memory banks.  I would pay big money for any picture of what I was wearing and what my skis looked like circa 1986.

post #204 of 437

Race skis = can't ski?

 

Too funny...

post #205 of 437


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossnphefer View Post

 

 I can guarantee you that regardless of who you are and how good of a skiier you are, I will be waiting for your ass at the bottom of the hill.


 

And we all know how fast you go is the measure of how good you are.

post #206 of 437

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog View Post

And we all know how fast you go is the measure of how good you are.

 

You're not playing the  O  RLY?  game right. 

post #207 of 437

I know this one; I have the poster of  "the turn felft round the world" the answer is: Dynastar Legend Pro. (special Nobis edition I bet)

Quote:
 

Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

 

 

........ 

What skis did Nobis use  to super-g that face in the video anyway?


 

post #208 of 437


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler View Post

 

Race skis = can't ski?

 

Too funny...


 

Art.

 

There is a serious terrain management/social awareness of etiquette issue behind the facts of the initial post, though.  That lift and several other "newish" terrain pods has not yet been met with an uptick of awareness in terms of not skiing/riding above each other, etc. etc.; the inevitable clusters result.  Terrain parks are getting there now, so long as "regular" ski instructors keep their clinics out of them; this type of "newly vogue and easily accessed" terrain should get there too if they keep it open long enough for the awareness to spread. 

post #209 of 437


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossnphefer View Post

 

Always up for a challange DonDenver. I don't know that I can flip the bill for your airfare, but if you're ever in the Fernie, Castle Mountain regon, I will certainly change the wording from "guarantee" to "bet". The price of a dinner is a small price to pay to ski with a great rider. Just remember to bring your skinny skis. The bet was a skinny ski vs. fat on a deep powder day. I'm sure that Castle or Fernie can provide the pow, you and I have to provide the gear and the tallent.

 

MMMMmmmm.... I can almost taste the free dinner


 

Truth known I would ski on water noodles duct taped to my boots for the chance to have you show me about Fernie skiing with you.   Also anticipating your reluctance to pick up my T&E I have reviewed my recent retirement account statement that shows I have juuust enough for the trip…of course with nothing left over the hope you’ll pick up the dinner tab   


 

post #210 of 437


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

 

 

And it's obvious you don't even know jack about your own skis. They're 89 mm. 

Ummmm.... No they aren't but that is OK you believe what you want to believe.

 

That being said I owe dawg catcher an apology. I did mis-read his post it was someone else and I'm sorry about my rant. Never mix posting and burbon, again my apologies to Dawg Catcher.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion