EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Break on through to the other side....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Break on through to the other side.... - Page 2

post #31 of 39
Thread Starter 

Hey, Bob, I think I was on the bar behind you when that happened

You were meant to have those reds boards.

My fondest Loaf memories were riding up the spring loaded T's and not being heavy enough to extend the spring. The T would lift you up in the air like a chair and turn you around. Especially T #3 (by the Gague headwall) and #5. You could end up off-loading backwards if you were lucky or stupid enough to make it up the hill. Course that is when the Valley Crossing was actually at the Valley Crossing.  

D

post #32 of 39

Wow--we have a lot of similar memories of growing up skiing Sugarloaf! I rode the old T's the same way--clinging to the pole while it picked me up and spun me around. Remember the cool "star wars" sounds those springs made? New T-Bars can't compare!

 

All right..I was just thinking about the old Valley Crossing too--when it was still in the valley. It was (long) walking distance from our little A-frame in Spring Farm, on the banks of the Carrabassett River.

 

You sure you're not my father or my brother or something?

 

 

Best regards,

Bob

post #33 of 39
Thread Starter 

OK, this is getting creepy. We had a place at Spring Farm. Did you know the Carpenters? Danny, Fred, Julie? I went to school with them in Lewiston and skied with them at the Loaf. Smarts owned the last place on the left just before the main road. Then we rented a place on Sugar Ridge and then finally rented one of the first condos which were at the bottom of T #4 - just up hill from one Jud Strunk. You could get on in those days for $14k. 

The "Star Wars" sound. Never made the association....but I do now. 

Nah. We're not related. Something much closer. We're both from Maine.

D

PS: Pizza from Ayottes at the Crossing? I can still smell that store....

post #34 of 39

 I too am here to post on this very important thread!

 

Seriously though, I'm so happy for your breakthroughs, and happy that renting our condo helped to make it possible.

 

I'm going to be up at Sunday River on the 31st and 1st whilst my SO takes a PSIA exam and will be looking for people to ski with, let me know if you can join me!

 

Steve

 

post #35 of 39

I just wanted to mention that this thread has in part inspired to try some serious powder bowls today (rated double black which apparently is the hardest marked run). For me, once I got there, I knew I could ski it. But the double black bowls (for me) always have this mystical thing associated with them, I was scared of them for some reason.  Part of the reason would be that the place I skied, Lake Louise, there is actually no way of really seeing what the terrain looks like because you go on a T-Bar to a summit on the frontside of the mountain, and they have three bowls in total on the backside. I went on two of these bowls for the first time today and I followed your advice: be confident, stay relaxed, make sure to lean forward when skiing steep areas and don't get intimidated by the mountain. I wasn't able to go on the third one as it was closed , but that's for another time I guess.

 

I'm glad to say I've done accomplished those two bowls at Lake Louise and your story (delibarate5) inspired me to this today.

post #36 of 39

AWWW man it was the condo!!! D1 can we go back?? I wanna stay in the condo too!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz View Post

 

 I too am here to post on this very important thread!

 

Seriously though, I'm so happy for your breakthroughs, and happy that renting our condo helped to make it possible.

 

I'm going to be up at Sunday River on the 31st and 1st whilst my SO takes a PSIA exam and will be looking for people to ski with, let me know if you can join me!

 

Steve

 


 

post #37 of 39

Way to go, MustangSVT!

 

This thread is awesome. Great to hear about skiers learning to let go, and reaching new levels. Keep it up!

 

Best regards,

Bob

post #38 of 39
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT View Post

 

I just wanted to mention that this thread has in part inspired to try some serious powder bowls today (rated double black which apparently is the hardest marked run). For me, once I got there, I knew I could ski it. But the double black bowls (for me) always have this mystical thing associated with them, I was scared of them for some reason.  Part of the reason would be that the place I skied, Lake Louise, there is actually no way of really seeing what the terrain looks like because you go on a T-Bar to a summit on the frontside of the mountain, and they have three bowls in total on the backside. I went on two of these bowls for the first time today and I followed your advice: be confident, stay relaxed, make sure to lean forward when skiing steep areas and don't get intimidated by the mountain. I wasn't able to go on the third one as it was closed , but that's for another time I guess.

 

I'm glad to say I've done accomplished those two bowls at Lake Louise and your story (delibarate5) inspired me to this today.

MustangSVT, good for you. Different feeling at the end of such a run isn't it. Kind of like a swagger on skis. Glad to have been there in spirit with you.
 

David

post #39 of 39
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barnes View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boot View Post

 

AWWW man it was the condo!!! D1 can we go back?? I wanna stay in the condo too!!

 


 

Condo? YOU want to stayin the Condo. You can't handle the condo.
 

But Lady S can.

But I will visit you at the HI

Whose the Desperate1 now?

Deliberate1

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Break on through to the other side....