New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prophet 90 or 100 - Page 2

post #31 of 44

Gotta add - Demoed the 2010 90's on hard pack, loved them. I was shocked at the performance.

 

post #32 of 44
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post

 

Gotta add - Demoed the 2010 90's on hard pack, loved them. I was shocked at the performance.

 

 

 

REI had the 90s in a couple of sizes -- I was close, really close, but I was already looking for the 100s. I was so surprised to be holding them that I just bought them. If all they'd had was the 90, I'd have left with them.

 

What's the deal with the 2010s? Are they significantly different, and do you have a time machine?

 

(BTW, you givin' me The Bird?)

 

post #33 of 44

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave View Post

What's the deal with the 2010s? Are they significantly different, and do you have a time machine?

 

 

No difference.

 

Hopped on many 2010's, the Prophet 90's really stood out. Carve city S S S.

 

post #34 of 44

Wave, nice deal on the Prophets, let us know how you like em after a couple days on em.  BTW, good choice on the 100's vs 90's (you're skiing tahoe man) also that would have created some overlap in you quiver.  Nothing against the 90 but not as suited for your applications. I'm going to hit a foot of fresh tomorrow up here in the PNW and I will be using all of those 100mm's.  Enjoy.

post #35 of 44

I just spoke to a ski shop guy when I called about the p90s.  He said the 2010s will be "improved" to be softer with a different graphic (which is expected). 

 

You think it's worth waiting around for them, or was he just trying to sell me on this since he was sold out of the 09's?

post #36 of 44

I think he may have been referring to a new model called the Prophet "Flite" which is the same shape as the 90 and a roughly similar graphic but a carbon matrix instead of the metal. I don't recall that the 90 is being changed. I coulda missed that though b/c I am not planning on that model for next year so I didn't pay that much attention. I will be carrying the 100 and the Flite and not the 90.

 

SJ

post #37 of 44

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

 

I think he may have been referring to a new model called the Prophet "Flite" which is the same shape as the 90 and a roughly similar graphic but a carbon matrix instead of the metal. I don't recall that the 90 is being changed. I coulda missed that though b/c I am not planning on that model for next year so I didn't pay that much attention. I will be carrying the 100 and the Flite and not the 90.

 

SJ

 

Thanks, Jim.  Was this decision just to have geater differentiation in your stock lines, or because the carbon matrix is preferable over the metal?  If so, can you give a little detail as to why?   (I tried some searches but it appears the search engine is down).

post #38 of 44

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfujim View Post

 

 

 

Thanks, Jim.  Was this decision just to have geater differentiation in your stock lines, or because the carbon matrix is preferable over the metal?  If so, can you give a little detail as to why?   (I tried some searches but it appears the search engine is down).

 

This is just to give better seperation between the two models. For our skiers in Tahoe, they can genrally use the 100 as easily as the 90 unless they have a skosh of park on their agenda. If a bit of park is on the menu, the Flite is a better choice for that application, it's easier in bumps, and works it surprisingly well on hardish snow. It's also a better value.

 

SJ

post #39 of 44

Thanks for the clarification, SJ.

 

Does anyone know if top sheet durability been an issue with the 2009 P90s/100s, or was this previous issue eliminated with the move to the k2 factory?  I've read scattered complaints about the top sheets being very easy to gash up, even down to the core in some cases.

post #40 of 44
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfujim View Post

 

Thanks for the clarification, SJ.

 

Does anyone know if top sheet durability been an issue with the 2009 P90s/100s, or was this previous issue eliminated with the move to the k2 factory?  I've read scattered complaints about the top sheets being very easy to gash up, even down to the core in some cases.

 

There was a mini flame fest about my top sheet issues a few days ago:

 

Prophets sustained some injury

 

I gashed one of my tails last week, and the REI guys patched it up with some epoxy. It was pretty ugly, you could see a few layers, but they fixed it up and it appears to be as good as new (functionally).

 

The Prophets rock.

post #41 of 44
Thread Starter 

So how did I like my Prophets?

 

Very quickly I realized that there would be no smearing, no tail-pushing -- especially at low speeds -- and that the prophets were quite content, and even accommodating, on edge. This was especially true on the groomed stuff, where the skis felt tentative running flat, but glided effortlessly through sweeping arcs up on edge, turning mundane transitional blues into amusing little asides interspersed among the steeper and softer terrain, where the prophet is much more at home.

 

At one point, having pointed the things down the fall line and making a few big turns, I looked back up the hill only to realize that I was already at the bottom. The feeling of absolutely screaming down the hill was there, but once HolyShiiiitI'mFlyingManAhhh passed, I found that the apparent chaos was actually a collection of fundamentally stable events -- and that's when the day really began.

 

Groomers? Sure, 'cause you have to get to the lifts.

Ungroomed but on piste? Ego skiing.

Steep? Check.

Soft? Check.

Steep & soft? Bingo.

That powder over there with the single snowboard track running through it? Cha-ching.

Jump? Land.

Huck? Finn.

 

Deep snow with a thin crust on top? Better be moving and have lots of room to turn.

Moguls? Ugh. Tolerable at best, but you have other skis for that, right?

Suddenly there's slush underfoot? Better be on edge or risk a forward somersault. Watch out for that tree.

 

I suppose I could put together a decent review, but these are my initial impressions.

We had a good day.

post #42 of 44

The Prophet 90s were one of the two best midfat skis I tried this season.  But in the end, I opted to buy a pair of PMGear Bro (99 underfoot.) While the Prophets and the Bro were both very nimble and similar, I found the Bro to hold a better edge on hardpack or even straight boilerplate.  I don't understand why a 99 underfoot holds such a good edge on ice but the Bro certainly do an amazing job in that area.  They were a little softer too, which I found a little more enjoyable in the bumps.  I felt the Prophets were better high-speed on-piste carvers than the Bros.  

 

Overall, two great skis.  Check out the Bro if you want another similar and imo, slightly better option.  I don't think you can really go wrong with either skis.

 


Edited by kelly001 - 3/24/2009 at 12:39 am
post #43 of 44
I see that REI now has 186 Prophet 100s on-line for $459. I wish I would have waited to avoid a shipping charge from a store...

$400 sounds really good...
M
post #44 of 44
Clear - I see that was 2009...sorry
M
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion