EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Another lift failure in Whistler
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Another lift failure in Whistler

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Link to snowheads which has the links to the articles

 

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49829

post #2 of 11

And your point is????

 

I think the title of this thread is a trifle misleading, lifts are mechanical ofjects and are subject to breakages, failures etc....so long as they are not serious (and I would call the  Whistler Dec 16th event serious) I think this thread, and the link to the newspaper article, is yet another attempt to "Stir the Pot".

 

Put the spoon away and go skiing!

 

Cheers


Da Flav

post #3 of 11

This doesn't qualify as a serious issue?  Granted no one was on the lift, but a bolt broke and a chair fell off the cable and fell 25 feet to the ground.  That sounds serious to me.

post #4 of 11

Considering the number of lifts at Whistler and it's location(near the coast)equipment failures are bound to happen. Even with an aggressive inspection program and maintenance man-made materials fail.

post #5 of 11

my question would be: who manufactured that lift? Yan? do Swiss manufacturers have a better record than those based in Nevada? Squaw has eaten sh#@ buying American lifts.  I don't really want to test a new lift manufacturer's attempts to under-bid the standard of the industry. I could be full of sh__. just saying.....

post #6 of 11

The chair this occured on was the Harmony chair on Whistler.  It's a Poma lift, though Poma is now owned by Leitner.  I'll add to this that I was skiing Whistler last week, and when I asked one of the mountain hosts (the on-mountain PR people) why the chair wasn't running, I was told it was down for 'scheduled maintenance'. 

post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroSki View Post

 

The chair this occured on was the Harmony chair on Whistler.  It's a Poma lift, though Poma is now owned by Leitner.  I'll add to this that I was skiing Whistler last week, and when I asked one of the mountain hosts (the on-mountain PR people) why the chair wasn't running, I was told it was down for 'scheduled maintenance'. 


 

ownership aside, is POMA one of the U.S. companies?

 

not U.S. manufacturer bashing, but if they prove that they can totally screw it up, then I have to call B.S. on buying and using them.

post #8 of 11

The lift in question predates Leitner's acquisition of Poma's North American operations.  Poma is a French company, which has been making lifts in Canada for many years, so it is not a US company. 

 

Whistler had issues with Yan lifts back in 96, when a chair on a detachable lift came loose(this was during operation hours, and several people were injured/killed) since then all the Yan lifts at Whistler have been removed to the best of my knowledge.  Failures can happen to lifts made by most any manufacturer, as evidenced by the recent problems Whistler Blackcomb has had with their Dopplemayer made Gondola in December.  

post #9 of 11

A couple points:

 

  1. There are two kinds of lift failures - the kind that cause the lift to stop running, and the kind that can injure or kill someone.  This failure is in the second category and should never happen. Ever.  It's inexcusable.  
  2. Any lift will fail if it is not maintained. Don't be too quick to blame the manufacturer.
  3. Like the gondola accident in December, this was  caused by failure of (or complete lack of) the preventive inspection program.
  4. Whistler has a history of lift failures.
  5. Whistler tried to cover up the reason why the lift wasn't running.  It took three days before they came clean about the "accident" 

They've got problems.  This ain't normal, and to brush it off as "stuff happens" doesn't cut it.

 

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroSki View Post

 

The lift in question predates Leitner's acquisition of Poma's North American operations.  Poma is a French company, which has been making lifts in Canada for many years, so it is not a US company. 

 

Whistler had issues with Yan lifts back in 96, when a chair on a detachable lift came loose(this was during operation hours, and several people were injured/killed) since then all the Yan lifts at Whistler have been removed to the best of my knowledge.  Failures can happen to lifts made by most any manufacturer, as evidenced by the recent problems Whistler Blackcomb has had with their Dopplemayer made Gondola in December.  

interesting. thanks. Has cause been determined on the Dopplemayer/Whistler incident? maintenance on tower sealing or draining, checking and inspections?
 

 

I think Squaw built a gondola by Yan and had it removed after only one season. wonder how the finances came down on that deal? (could have been Poma, anyone know?)

 

just asking, because this kind of informatin sits in the back of ones brain and surfaces when the gondola starts to really rock and roll in the wind. A skier needs condidence in the lift.

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post

 

Considering the number of lifts at Whistler and it's location(near the coast)equipment failures are bound to happen. Even with an aggressive inspection program and maintenance man-made materials fail.

 

Yes, failures will happen, but this isn't just an ordinary failure.  A chair fell off the lift.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post

 

  1. There are two kinds of lift failures - the kind that cause the lift to stop running, and the kind that can injure or kill someone.  This failure is in the second category and should never happen. Ever.  It's inexcusable.  

 

 

Bingo.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Another lift failure in Whistler