or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ideal set of skis?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

 If you could have any set (2 or 3) of skis, (money no object) what would be your choice and why?

 

J.

 

 

post #2 of 18

 

The "why" part is easy, the “which skis” part is more difficult.
 
I would want great hard-snow carving from one ski and excellent deep powder and crud ski performance from the other.
 
The carver would not be wider than 75mm underfoot and would have laminate construction. This ski should be as good as any recreational race ski for hard-snow grip and performance. The powder ski should float a big skier easily in the deepest and lightest snow while offering reasonable packed-powder utility. Crud performance should be good, this implies that the ski needs to be moderate in flex.
 
I would choose the 172cm Dynastar 4X4 (122-75-106mm) and the Praxis Protest. The Protest has the same narrow and turned-up tips and tail, like the Praxis powder; but has a section underfoot that is nearly flat and with a conventional (if slight) sidecut. Its dimensions are: 132/137/130/131/124. I own these two and also use a Fischer Watea 101 as an all-mountain ski.
 
The Fischer Progressor 9 & Dynastar Huge Trouble would also work for me.
 
Michael
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCAT View Post

 

 

The "why" part is easy, the “which skis” part is more difficult.
 
I would want great hard-snow carving from one ski and excellent deep powder and crud ski performance from the other.
 
The carver would not be wider than 75mm underfoot and would have laminate construction. This ski should be as good as any recreational race ski for hard-snow grip and performance. The powder ski should float a big skier easily in the deepest and lightest snow while offering reasonable packed-powder utility. Crud performance should be good, this implies that the ski needs to be moderate in flex.
 
I would choose the 172cm Dynastar 4X4 (122-75-106mm) and the Praxis Protest. The Protest has the same narrow and turned-up tips and tail, like the Praxis powder; but has a section underfoot that is nearly flat and with a conventional (if slight) sidecut. Its dimensions are: 132/137/130/131/124. I own these two and also use a Fischer Watea 101 as an all-mountain ski.
 
The Fischer Progressor 9 & Dynastar Huge Trouble would also work for me.
 
Michael

 

 

Nice choice! 

The carver under 75mm? wow, those are real carvers huh....122-75-106..

Huge Trouble sounds good to me too!

 

J.

 

post #4 of 18

Volkl Tigershark 12ft 175

Nordica Dobermann SG 202

Volkl Bridge 177

 

Tigershark - Good all mountain cruiser, does terrific in crud and groomers, floats perfectly in East coast powder

 

Dobermann SG - To feed my need for speed

 

Volkl Bridge - For when there is more snow on the ground than usual, occasional park trips, trees, and bumps.

post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post

 

Volkl Tigershark 12ft 175

Nordica Dobermann SG 202

Volkl Bridge 177

 

Tigershark - Good all mountain cruiser, does terrific in crud and groomers, floats perfectly in East coast powder

 

Dobermann SG - To feed my need for speed

 

Volkl Bridge - For when there is more snow on the ground than usual, occasional park trips, trees, and bumps.

 

Great combo!

 

I will have to look up the Doberman SG :-)

 

J.

 

 

 

 

post #6 of 18

Lib Tech Recurve Pow 175, soft flex and torsionally stiff.  Pow skis that carve ice.  Regrettably, these skis do not exist.

 

Praxis Powder 175.  On order.  Since June 08.  Still waiting.  Slarvy, pivoty, drifty goodness.  Or so I'm told.

 

Volkl Kiku 2010.  Rockered women's ski.  Set 'em up with Marker Barons, and harvest June corn.

post #7 of 18

head mojo103,  125-103-117 183 cm.

dynastar big dump, 142-120-132 192 cm.

head J.O. pro, 113,77,102 178cm.

post #8 of 18

Stockli Laser SC

Kastle MX88

Kastle MX108 

post #9 of 18

Stockli Laser SL 165 cm

Stockli Stormrider XXL 178cm

Prior Overlord 183 cm for trees/ 193 cm for heli skiing (so I would go the 183 cm)

 

But tempted by the Kastle range 

post #10 of 18

K2 Shuksan or Mt. Baker with AT binder for AT (and groomers, not ideal I know)

183 Bros or Völkl Explosive/Mantra 190/184 for all mountain resort and off-piste/BC with variable conditions

186 or 196 Lhasa Pows as do-it-all for the deep days (or another similar dim. ski with slight tip rocker)

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jancouver View Post

 

 If you could have any set (2 or 3) of skis, (money no object) what would be your choice and why?

 

J.

 

 

I really like the Quiver that I just evolved into. Bear in mind I'm east coast, so I need the ice skate.
 

 

Atomic GS11 race stock in a 186 (63mm waist) for those bulletproof days.

Goes really fast and steady in any conditions and holds an edge on anything...

 

Salomon 3V race stock in a 158 (63 mm waist) for those really bulletproof day.

Holds like nobodies business on see-through ice.

 

Salomon 1080 CR Johnson labs (80 mmm waist) for everyday cruisin.

good edge hold, fun ski, good float in powder, powers through exerything.

 

Fischer Watea 94 (94 waist) mounted with Marker Dukes for everthing else

Need I say anything?

 

Of course, I have about 5 other pairs of skis that I take out occasionally, but the above are my go-to guys.

 

 

post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 

What a great variety!

 

I'm surprised there are no repeats. For whatever reason I was expecting some model to be on almost every list. I guess those one "dream skis" do not exist. 

post #13 of 18

Race Stock GS leftover- 21m ski (currently a Rossi 9X 189cm)

Fat-ish all mountain ski- Scott P4 191cm

Powder ski- DPS Lotus 120 w/ duke

 

I certainly could be happy with out the 'powder ski', I could be happy with a slightly more versatile hard snow ski than a GS ski. Something like a Blizzard Mag. 8.1, Head iM 82 or SS Magnum, maybe a Nordica TF. There are tons of excellent skis out there, having two pair for all conditions isn't that hard to do... you just need two 'use-full' pair for the conditions you encounter the most. For me that would be a 'race-like' firm snow/ groomed snow ripper and a floaty, playfull ski that can be smeared and pivoted in the woods but can handle firm snow also.

 

post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jancouver View Post

 

 If you could have any set (2 or 3) of skis, (money no object) what would be your choice and why?

 

J.

 

 

 

I would have Kyle make them for me:

 

A 180 cm 75 waist R 17ish SL/GS hybrid with about a 95 mm shovel and about a 82 mm rounded tail so it could also rock in the bumps as well as on a NASTAR or beer league course.  A ski good in bumps might be a little soft for running gates, but I'm OK with some beef in bumps and a bit less beef in the gates as long as they are a little tighter than a real GS course.

 

A 195 cm 82 mm waist crud cruiser R 20 with some beef for high speeds and ice hold.  This would also be OK for a true GS course for fun of course.  82 would be too wide for a competitive GS ski.

 

A 188 cm 95 mm waist semi powder ski (I don't see much of any real deep stuff out East).  I'd let Kyle recommend the tip tail, and flex there.

 

PS, I'd have bumpfreaq design the topsheet graphics

post #15 of 18

Kastle RX70 and MX78!

post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCAT View Post

 

 

The "why" part is easy, the “which skis” part is more difficult.
 
I would want great hard-snow carving from one ski and excellent deep powder and crud ski performance from the other.
 
The carver would not be wider than 75mm underfoot and would have laminate construction. This ski should be as good as any recreational race ski for hard-snow grip and performance. The powder ski should float a big skier easily in the deepest and lightest snow while offering reasonable packed-powder utility. Crud performance should be good, this implies that the ski needs to be moderate in flex.
 
I would choose the 172cm Dynastar 4X4 (122-75-106mm) and the Praxis Protest. The Protest has the same narrow and turned-up tips and tail, like the Praxis powder; but has a section underfoot that is nearly flat and with a conventional (if slight) sidecut. Its dimensions are: 132/137/130/131/124. I own these two and also use a Fischer Watea 101 as an all-mountain ski.
 
The Fischer Progressor 9 & Dynastar Huge Trouble would also work for me.
 
Michael

 

Dynastar 4X4 (122-75-106mm)

I looked deeper into these skis and because I was in market for some "shorter" carve skis and I really liked what I have learned I made the move and order them today in 178. ($599 tax & shipping included)

 

Thanks for the idea and I hope that I will enjoy them :-)

 

J.


Edited by Jancouver - 2/26/2009 at 04:28 pm
post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 

Dynastar 4x4 update 

 

These skis are available from evogear.com for $495 so I will be talking to my my store to get a price match or will return them and buy from evogear.com.


J.
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 

Dynastar 4x4 update 

 

These skis are available from evogear.com for $495 so I will be talking to my my store to get a price match or will return them and buy from evogear.com.


J.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion