or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Prophet 100 vs Mojo 94)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prophet 100 vs Mojo 94)

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Well I'm looking for a new the 1 ski.

 

First of I'm 5'10, 170. Adv./Expert skier. I like a stiff stable ski (out off all the ski's I've tried the monster 88's are my favorites). Now I'm looking for a new ski that's a little wider that I'll mount with Marker Dukes most likely, that will be used about 70% Resort 30% Out of Bounds. The resort skiing will be about 90% trees and bumps.

 

So far my leading ski choices are the Line Prophet 100 and the Mojo 94'sprobably in around the 180cm length. If there's anyone who's skied both and can give me a direct comparison the difference in feel between these two skis it would be appreciated.

post #2 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleclerc View Post

 

Well I'm looking for a new the 1 ski.

 

First of I'm 5'10, 170. Adv./Expert skier. I like a stiff stable ski (out off all the ski's I've tried the monster 88's are my favorites). Now I'm looking for a new ski that's a little wider that I'll mount with Marker Dukes most likely, that will be used about 70% Resort 30% Out of Bounds. The resort skiing will be about 90% trees and bumps.

 

So far my leading ski choices are the Line Prophet 100 and the Mojo 94'sprobably in around the 180cm length. If there's anyone who's skied both and can give me a direct comparison the difference in feel between these two skis it would be appreciated.

 

I may be able to help you....  My previous pair of skis was/still is the Monster 88;  I love them.  I bought the Prophet 100's this year, in 186, also had the 88's in 186, and I love the 100's twice as much as the monsters.  So much, in fact, that the 88's haven't left my garage since I bought the Prophets.

 

I, to, was down to the Mojo 94 and the Prophet 100, but in the end the 94 was too close to the 88 in waist width, that it wasn't worth it.  I never demoed the 94, but, the construction is more similar to the 88, it's going to be close to the same ski in a true twin tip version.

 

The prophet does everything as good or better than the 88.  It's Amazing on the groom for its width, way easy in the p[owder, and super fun.  It's much lighter than the the Monster, but still a good medium-medium firm flex.  Once you find the sweet spot on it, it's very easy to pilot.  I would say the only thing the Monster 88 does better than the prophet is blow up crud.  The Prophet holds its own, but the 88 is just a tank in the crud, demolishing anything in site.  However, the prophet is way better in trees, easier to throw around, and more nimble and quick (shorter radius) than the 88.  I'm 6-1 220 lbs and I do just fine on it and have a blasty-blast while skiing it.....  Hope this helps!...

post #3 of 20

 The Mojo 94 is nothing like the iM88 -- not even close.  The Mojo is a lot more playful and far easier to ski.  It's better in soft snow as well, where the iM88 is a bit of a bull in the china shop.  The only place the iM88 is better is on groomed/hardpack, assuming you have the skills to drive it.  Very stout ski.

 

If you can get a 178cm Fischer Watea 94, I think it's a better overall ski than both the Prophet and the Mojo.  That is, assuming you are not set on a twin tip.

post #4 of 20

I may be interested in selling my 178 Watea 94s.  Lightly used, last years model, and mounted with a railflex plate.  Skied these a total of 5 days this year.  Great skis, but I think I want to go a bit wider for my soft snow ski.

 

PM me if you are interested.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by skier219 View Post

 

 The Mojo 94 is nothing like the iM88 -- not even close.  The Mojo is a lot more playful and far easier to ski.  It's better in soft snow as well, where the iM88 is a bit of a bull in the china shop.  The only place the iM88 is better is on groomed/hardpack, assuming you have the skills to drive it.  Very stout ski.

 

If you can get a 178cm Fischer Watea 94, I think it's a better overall ski than both the Prophet and the Mojo.  That is, assuming you are not set on a twin tip.

 

post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be honest I'm a little concerned the 100 will be a little to wide for what I ski regardless of all the reviews. Just started reading up on the Watea 94's and they are sounding like they are closer to what I'm looking for. Wish I could find somewhere to demo a set out here. I hate buying skis blindly.

post #6 of 20

The 94s are one particular ski I would recommend even without a demo.  I can't say that about very many skis.  What other skis do you like?  What are your tastes in skis?  Are you a fan of the Fischer feel?  That could help the decision.

 

BTW, Mike, I have tried other skis, including wider ones, and all they do is make me appreciate the Watea 94s more.  Be careful not to mess with a good thing.  This is one ski I will not part with.  In fact, I picked up an extra pair! 

post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post

 

The 94s are one particular ski I would recommend even without a demo.  I can't say that about very many skis.  What other skis do you like?  What are your tastes in skis?  Are you a fan of the Fischer feel?  That could help the decision.

 

BTW, Mike, I have tried other skis, including wider ones, and all they do is make me appreciate the Watea 94s more.  Be careful not to mess with a good thing.  This is one ski I will not part with.  In fact, I picked up an extra pair! 


    Going to Mammoth next week and want to demo these, very good reviews everywhere.  From the descriptions should be just what I want.  Any suggestions on where to buy at a decent price.  Any recommendations on binding ?  Me:  196, advanced skier, ski just about everything, DIN 8

 

Want for all our variable snow up here and the normal powder which is 2-6 inches most of the time and occassionally deeper.  We normally don't get the big dumps like Colo. Tahoe, SLC.  Spend a lot of time in the trees etc.   Thanks Pete

post #8 of 20

Mike, do you still have Watea 94's  178cm, if so how much?  type bindings?

post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post

 


    Going to Mammoth next week and want to demo these, very good reviews everywhere.  From the descriptions should be just what I want.  Any suggestions on where to buy at a decent price.  Any recommendations on binding ?  Me:  196, advanced skier, ski just about everything, DIN 8

 

Want for all our variable snow up here and the normal powder which is 2-6 inches most of the time and occassionally deeper.  We normally don't get the big dumps like Colo. Tahoe, SLC.  Spend a lot of time in the trees etc.   Thanks Pete

 

Pete, how tall are you?  You'd want to go about body height on these skis.  At 196lb, I am thinking 186cm for you, unless you're shorter than 5'11" or so.  I have seen them on Tramdock recently for $430, and both dawgcathing and sierraskis.com have decent prices too.  I have a couple extra pair of 186cm in plastic, and could part with a pair if you can't find another deal.
post #10 of 20

Anyone care to comment on how long/short the prophet 100s ski?  Im 6 foot 172-175.  Im sure the running length is slightly smaller then the listed length.... 

post #11 of 20

You have received many good advices. If you go with Line skis let me know. I can get them pretty cheap. If you decide to choose Marker Duke I have got a spare ones.

 

post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post

 

The 94s are one particular ski I would recommend even without a demo.  I can't say that about very many skis.  What other skis do you like?  What are your tastes in skis?  Are you a fan of the Fischer feel?  That could help the decision.

 

BTW, Mike, I have tried other skis, including wider ones, and all they do is make me appreciate the Watea 94s more.  Be careful not to mess with a good thing.  This is one ski I will not part with.  In fact, I picked up an extra pair! 

You know, I'm really thinking about doing this too (especially since I don't know about that hull tip on the '10).  I can get another pair right now for just over $400.  

post #13 of 20

Just a quick bump-any recommendations for prophet length for 6 foot 172lbs? thanks

post #14 of 20

I'm a decent-to-good skier and only 147lbs/5'9". I just bought the Prophet 100 in 179.  Only one day on them, but I skied trees, some smallish soft bumps, spent time going slow on the front side and then did some hard charging, and the 179 seemed perfect for me. Maybe one size up?

post #15 of 20

At your light weight...

 

-did you find it easy to get the P-100's going at slower to moderate speeds?

 

-how did short and medium radius turns feel on them? the specs on the radius suggest they are a very turny ski, but then again they are pretty big and wide....maybe compare relative to "skinny" all-mountain carvers in the 78mm range.

 

-how were they in mixed conditions and in crud or heavy manked up conditions?  This is the area I've seen the most criticism with the P-100's, that they either lack a little stability or get "hooky" in the heavy stuff...and as a somewhat light skier myself (165#), I'm wondering if they would feel even less stable in these situations.

 

T.I.A.

post #16 of 20

As I said, only one day on them so far, but here are my answers:

 

- Yes, very easy to get going. Part of the day was cruising some blues with my son and the ski's did fine. Yes they are wide, but easy to put on edge, and they engaged well without having to work hard to get them up onto that edge.

- I prefer smaller and medium radius turns - nothing better on the front side than skimming along the edge of the run next to the trees in a tight line - typically the best snow on the run. The Prophets did fine in that role. Too turny? Not for me and my prefered style of skiing. I can compare them to a Tigershark 10 or the AC30 and say that both of those hold in hard (hard) snow a bit better and both are quicker edge-to-edge, but I didn't feel the Prophets were beastly, or even cumbersome in comparison.

- I spent a fair bit of time in 6 inches of skied up and semi-set up snow and they did well. I DID catch an outside edge while trying to make a quick transition and went down, but I was leaning a bit and not squared up on the ski's when I tried to do that and couldn't bring them over quick enough in that crud to catch myself. Those slopes were not real steep either and I didn't get over to any really challenging (steep and manky) slopes. But I found I could push the Prophets really hard and they were solid under me in all conditions I skied them in.

 

I plan to go up again this weekend and will offer some more comments here after that.  I like the ski's a lot so far, but I am still in the "just bought 'em" mode, so they are still rock stars for me. 

post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuzz View Post

 

Anyone care to comment on how long/short the prophet 100s ski?  Im 6 foot 172-175.  Im sure the running length is slightly smaller then the listed length.... 


 

You'll find that "slightly smaller" is an understatement.  The P100's are like some other twin tip skis on the market, meaning:

  1. Their "official" length is closest to the material length (i.e., use a flexible tape measure to follow the base from tip to tail).  The actual length of the ski in a straight line will be about 3-4cm less. 
  2. The upturned tail reduces the running length by another 3-4cm or so.  (Though the jury is out on how much shorter this makes the ski feel.)

 

I determined all of this when buying my Gotama's (which have the same length inflation) and comparing them to other similar skis (i.e., the P100's).  Initially I was concerned that the 176cm Gotamas would be too long, but in fact they ski significantly shorter than my old 174cm K2 AK Launchers.

 

Conclusion - the 179cm P100 is actually a 175cm ski with a running length equivalent to many other 172cm or even shorter "normal" skis.  Keep in mind that most other skis (except K2 it seems) have some amount of length inflation - my 167cm W84's are really about 165cm in length, so everything is relative here.  Either way, the 179cm P100 is actually short enough that I (@130lbs.) might be able to handle them on a good day.

post #18 of 20
 Hey guys, I'm also looking at the Prophet 100's.  I am 5'8" and 180lbs, pretty aggressive skier.  I was thinking 179cm?
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by spontaneousgoat View Post

 Hey guys, I'm also looking at the Prophet 100's.  I am 5'8" and 180lbs, pretty aggressive skier.  I was thinking 179cm?

I would suggest the 186 as the better choice.

SJ
post #20 of 20
5'8" @ 180 lbs = 179 Prophet 100 and no shorter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Prophet 100 vs Mojo 94)