EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Comparing boot makers to well known companies
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparing boot makers to well known companies

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

 

I’m a newb to these boards and will probably be shopping for a new pair of ski boots soon as you would be able to tell from my previous recent post here. Given my limited knowledge of ski equipment and lack of constant exposure I was wondering if anyone would be able to make some general analogies of manufacturers with some better known companies to help me with a wise buying decision. Please no flames. I know everyone has their own opinion and I’m the same with inline speedskating(been doing that for 14 years on a nationally competitive level).
 
What boot manufacturers compare to:
Toshiba: Good quality, good price, up and coming: best bang for the buck
Sony: always quality, but never the best. Usually slightly overpriced
Hyundai: Used to make crap, but now makes really good stuff at a great price
GM: stay away from these
Walmart: bargain products at a bargain price(iffy quality)
Dolce and Gabbana: Why would I pay $300 for a Tshirt?
 
Feel free to make your own analogies, and humor is always welcome.
 
I realize these are pretty broad generalizations, but that’s what I’m aiming for.
 
Thanks,
 
post #2 of 12

WOW!!! YOU have got to be kidding (spoken with a spanish accent). 

 

All of that without even seeeing your feet? ? ?

 

miketsc

cped/bootfitter

post #3 of 12

Sigh.

post #4 of 12

You could make these analogies with skis, or bindings.  But you can't make them for boots.

 

For boots, the single most important thing is whether they fit your feet.  Period.  Nothing else matters.  Fit is everything.

 

Or as one person put it: buy the brand who's CEO has feet shaped like yours.

 

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketsc View Post

 WOW!!! YOU have got to be kidding (spoken with a spanish accent). 

 

All of that without even seeeing your feet? ? ? 


 

With a Spanish accent: Joo haf got too be kitting me!

 

Why would you need to see my feet?

  I can understand that for a specific model maybe or some other detailed questions.

 

I'm not asking what specific model I should get or anything like that, just looking for a broad consensus on overall reputation.

 

For further Clarification:

Person wants a large LCD: says "who makes good LCDs"

  Answer: Sony, but overpriced and Toshiba excellent quality and good price. I could give a longer answer, but for the sake of time I won't.

     Now if the person asked who makes the best 120hz 52" LCD... then I would need to know more detail.

Apply that to ski boots: X brand tends to be overpriced and Y brand tends to be best bang for buck

post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post

 

You could make these analogies with skis, or bindings.  But you can't make them for boots.

 

For boots, the single most important thing is whether they fit your feet.  Period.  Nothing else matters.  Fit is everything.

 

 

So, if a $350 Nordica, Dalbello, and Salomon fit great and felt the same.

How would you choose?(other than looks)

 

post #7 of 12

Ok.  So who makes good boots?  Answer: all the usual suspects: Nordica, Salomon, Technica, Dalbello, Atomic, Rossi, Lange, plus a couple of others who I'm forgetting.

 

Which ones to buy?  The boots that fit your feet. Nothing else matters.

post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by csh8428 View Post

 

So, if a $350 Nordica, Dalbello, and Salomon fit great and felt the same.

How would you choose?(other than looks)

 

 

The thing is, they don't all fit and they don't all feel the same. 

 

I'd buy the one that fit best.  Which in my case was Nordica, but your feet aren't the same as mine.

post #9 of 12

All ski boots are good...they are all Mercedes with employee pricing...well maybe not employee pricing since boots of higher performance are higher priced for less of a boot.  But I digress....they are all good, all that matters is that they most closely fit the physiology of your feet, your skiing style, and or if they are in the colors you like (if that matters).  More expensive boots, more often that not, means you get less of a boot (less bells and whistles, less padding, less gadgets, less comfort).  The middle-high priced boots are the most bang for the buck...but the trade off is that they are usually not created for ultra high performance; read racing. 

post #10 of 12

This thread is like.....

Enron.

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post

 

All ski boots are good...they are all Mercedes with employee pricing...well maybe not employee pricing since boots of higher performance are higher priced for less of a boot.  But I digress....they are all good, all that matters is that they most closely fit the physiology of your feet, your skiing style, and or if they are in the colors you like (if that matters).  More expensive boots, more often that not, means you get less of a boot (less bells and whistles, less padding, less gadgets, less comfort).  The middle-high priced boots are the most bang for the buck...but the trade off is that they are usually not created for ultra high performance; read racing. 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post

 

 

The thing is, they don't all fit and they don't all feel the same. 

 

I'd buy the one that fit best.  Which in my case was Nordica, but your feet aren't the same as mine.


 

Thanks Walt and Richie. Those reponses answered my questions perfectly.

 

Craig

post #12 of 12

I'll bite..with this tidbit

 

The Krypton is like a Mac computer, A Mac does 90% of the same thing a PC does, it is the other 10% that the Mac does different that makes it better. The Krypton with it's 3 piece/3 buckle/low hinge shell is along the same lines. 90% the same as an overlap...

 

 

*Percentages are there for example purposes. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Comparing boot makers to well known companies