EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What ski’s are comparable to Rossignol B2 Bandit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What ski’s are comparable to Rossignol B2 Bandit

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

 

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with deciding on a ski. I would consider myself an above intermediate skier, albeit, somewhat rough around the edges. I’ve been skiing 5 times over the past 15 years or so. I went to ski school 2 of those times, so I have the basics. I am very athletic and favor skiing blue blacks and blacks with and without moguls. I would ski just about anything without cliffs. I can make my way down just about any run, but it won’t always look pretty. I use demo class rentals and don’t own any equipment. Hey.... don't judge, LOL. I don't ski enough to justify the cost of buying the gear, but I would ski the entire winter if I could. I’ve been a nationally ranked inline speedskater for 14 years, so I’m well versed in weight transfer and how it affects dynamics. Much of the technique of speedskating is similar to skiing.
 
I’m 5’5” and 127lbs.
I just got back from Winter Park last week where I rented the demo package; which included 155 Salomon X Wings. They were OK, not bad, but not great either. I did wind up deciding they were too long for me, so the second day I wound up getting the 150 Salomon Topaz because the 155 Xwings were the shortest men’s demo ski they had. Yes, I know the Topaz is a women’s ski. They both felt pretty much the same to me. My issue was that they both felt like the ski’s would not release the snow and tended to keep their bit a little longer than I liked, especially on moguls. The backs of the skis seems to stick a little longer when changing directions than fits my technique and didn’t go quite where I wanted them to; which resulted in all manner of goofs.
 
The last time I went skiing(2006) I went to Keystone and started out with Salomon 1080 Thrusters I believe, or some other version of the 2006 1080s. I did not like those skis at all. They felt very sloppy to me and didn’t grip the snow when I turned; which I assumed was due the fact that it was a twin tip ski. I traded it in and got the 148cm Rossignol B2 Bandit and loved that ski! It bit when I wanted it to. It released as soon as I transferred weight. It did everything that the reviews on the net have said it does.
 
With all that being said: Would my experience with the Xwings/Topaz be due to my technique(or lack thereof) or could it because the Xwings/Topaz have a very flat and square back whereas the B2s have a slightly rounded and up-tapered back? Has anyone had similar experiences.
 
I’m looking to get a set of the B2s or similar. I most enjoy skiing the woods on the outer edges of runs, glades, moguls, and bowls when they got some fresh powder. What is Rossignol’s 2007, 2008, 2009… line that matches the 2006 B2s if there is one? Have any recommendations on a ski that is similar to the B2s from another brand?  I like skis that bite hard when you put weight on them and release quickly without being perfect on the transfer. Something that’s good on moguls and fun in the woods and piste.
Based on everything above what characteristics should I look for in a ski? I apologize for the newb questions. I know how annoying stuff like that can be. I’ve had similar experiences with newb skaters grilling me the same way.

 

Thanks for your help,

 

Craig


Edited by csh8428 - 2/19/2009 at 03:15 pm
post #2 of 21

I sympathise with you. I loved the B2 but had to retire mine after many days on them. There are still some on ebay from time to time. I happened to pick up a pair of DirtyBirds last year, which was their Tele version of the B2. I also think last years B78 is comparable. They also can be found on Ebay.

 

You won't get much feedbacck on the subject here. Most everyone here thinks Rossi skis suck.

post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by csh8428 View Post

 

 

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with deciding on a ski. I would consider myself an above intermediate skier, albeit, somewhat rough around the edges. I’ve been skiing 5 times over the past 15 years or so. I went to ski school 2 of those times, so I have the basics. I am very athletic and favor skiing blue blacks and blacks with and without moguls. I would ski just about anything without cliffs. I can make my way down just about any run, but it won’t always look pretty. I use demo class rentals and don’t own any equipment. Hey.... don't judge, LOL. I don't ski enough to justify the cost of buying the gear, but I would ski the entire winter if I could. I’ve been a nationally ranked inline speedskater for 14 years, so I’m well versed in weight transfer and how it affects dynamics. Much of the technique of speedskating is similar to skiing.
 
I’m 5’5” and 127lbs.
I just got back from Winter Park last week where I rented the demo package; which included 155 Salomon X Wings. They were OK, not bad, but not great either. I did wind up deciding they were too long for me, so the second day I wound up getting the 150 Salomon Topaz because the 155 Xwings were the shortest men’s demo ski they had. Yes, I know the Topaz is a women’s ski. They both felt pretty much the same to me. My issue was that they both felt like the ski’s would not release the snow and tended to keep their bit a little longer than I liked, especially on moguls. The backs of the skis seems to stick a little longer when changing directions than fits my technique and didn’t go quite where I wanted them to; which resulted in all manner of goofs.
 
The last time I went skiing(2006) I went to Keystone and started out with Salomon 1080 Thrusters I believe, or some other version of the 2006 1080s. I did not like those skis at all. They felt very sloppy to me and didn’t grip the snow when I turned; which I assumed was due the fact that it was a twin tip ski. I traded it in and got the 148cm Rossignol B2 Bandit and loved that ski! It bit when I wanted it to. It released as soon as I transferred weight. It did everything that the reviews on the net have said it does.
 
With all that being said: Would my experience with the Xwings/Topaz be due to my technique(or lack thereof) or could it because the Xwings/Topaz have a very flat and square back whereas the B2s have a slightly rounded and up-tapered back? Has anyone had similar experiences.
 
I’m looking to get a set of the B2s or similar. I most enjoy skiing the woods on the outer edges of runs, glades, moguls, and bowls when they got some fresh powder. What is Rossignol’s 2007, 2008, 2009… line that matches the 2006 B2s if there is one? Have any recommendations on a ski that is similar to the B2s from another brand?  I like skis that bite hard when you put weight on them and release quickly without being perfect on the transfer. Something that’s good on moguls and fun in the woods and piste.
Based on everything above what characteristics should I look for in a ski? I apologize for the newb questions. I know how annoying stuff like that can be. I’ve had similar experiences with newb skaters grilling me the same way.

 

Thanks for your help,

 

Craig


Edited by csh8428 - 2/19/2009 at 03:15 pm

You're not going to get a lot of plaudits as far as the B2, as it's fairly reviled here for a number of reasons that you can find via a search. It seems that the general feeling is that Rossi lost it's way a while ago, and other manufactures have taken the ball and run (far) away.
 

Suggestions to try that leave Rossi in the dust (and yes, demo them all to find what suits you best) - Volkl AC series (30/40/50), Nordica Hot Rod series, and Dynastar legends (8000, Mythic Rider) etc.

 

My favorites are the Dynastars, and they seem to be exactly what you describe - zingy, able to do any turn shape, capable on hardpack or fluff etc), but the others are also very good, and, as always, YMMV - demo, demo, demo, and don't let anyone tell you what you should like.

post #4 of 21

I still use my B2's for touring, had the two best runs of my season on them.

 

I've been trying to hook up with a world famous guide up at Alagna for a day together. He told me to bring a touring setup, and I told him I only had the B2's. Said he uses the same.

post #5 of 21

For a few skiers whose abilities and aggressiveness border on the legendary, Rossignols may not be stiff enough. For the majority of skiers, Rossignol skis do not suck, they are fine. For a light weight skier who has been skiing five times, the ski you liked was and is fine. A similar current ski would be the Apache Raider from K2.

 

BTW.......that is another ski that sucks (in the minds of legendary skiers)

 

SJ

post #6 of 21

I wouldn't say it's so much it's their aggressiveness that's legendary, Jim, it's their Gnar, their Gnar.

post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post

 

You're not going to get a lot of plaudits as far as the B2, as it's fairly reviled here for a number of reasons that you can find via a search. It seems that the general feeling is that Rossi lost it's way a while ago, and other manufactures have taken the ball and run (far) away.
 

Suggestions to try that leave Rossi in the dust (and yes, demo them all to find what suits you best) - Volkl AC series (30/40/50), Nordica Hot Rod series, and Dynastar legends (8000, Mythic Rider) etc.

 

My favorites are the Dynastars, and they seem to be exactly what you describe - zingy, able to do any turn shape, capable on hardpack or fluff etc), but the others are also very good, and, as always, YMMV - demo, demo, demo, and don't let anyone tell you what you should like.


 

Thanks for the advice :)

What are the characteristics/stats of the B2 that give it it's traits so I know what to look for if I can't get a set of B2s. I know what I like, but I just don't know what characteristics/stats make a ski ski that way.

post #8 of 21

The Rossi telemark T3 is identical to the B2 alpine, except the layer of metal is slightly thinner (and the top sheet graphics are different), so they are just a tad softer.  You can pick them up for cheap (see link).  Sierra Trading Post also has a deal on B2s, but only in a longer size.

 

http://www.outdoorgearsite.com/3825.html

 

If you are looking for a similar new ski, I think the Fischer Wateas are comparable.

post #9 of 21
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by prickly View Post

 

I wouldn't say it's so much it's their aggressiveness that's legendary, Jim, it's their Gnar, their Gnar.

 

Their Gnar...........dang it! Of course!!................why do I keep forgetting that?

 

I gots ta get me somma that Gnar stuff. Doyathink they have it at Safeway?

 

SJ

 

 

post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post

 

You're not going to get a lot of plaudits as far as the B2, as it's fairly reviled here for a number of reasons that you can find via a search. It seems that the general feeling is that Rossi lost it's way a while ago, and other manufactures have taken the ball and run (far) away.
 

Suggestions to try that leave Rossi in the dust (and yes, demo them all to find what suits you best) - Volkl AC series (30/40/50), Nordica Hot Rod series, and Dynastar legends (8000, Mythic Rider) etc.

 

I am interested to read this as I have been demo'ing skis to replace my 5ish year old Rossi Bandit 2s which I have been very happy with. I ski a bit of everything, am happiest on steeps, and don't get to ski enough to justify getting a fat ski. The skis I have enjoyed most are the Mythic Rider, AC50, and Fischer Watera. The Rider was my fave, but maybe a bit wide underfoot for someone who does not see alot of new snow? Anything else I should try?

post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb View Post

 

 

I am interested to read this as I have been demo'ing skis to replace my 5ish year old Rossi Bandit 2s which I have been very happy with. I ski a bit of everything, am happiest on steeps, and don't get to ski enough to justify getting a fat ski. The skis I have enjoyed most are the Mythic Rider, AC50, and Fischer Watera. The Rider was my fave, but maybe a bit wide underfoot for someone who does not see alot of new snow? Anything else I should try?

 

No. You tried three good skis with differing characteristics. That's enough. Buy what you liked the best.

 

SJ

post #13 of 21

csh8428,

 

I agree with Mudfoot - try the Fischer Watea 84.  I'm also a lighter skier and I really enjoyed the Watea. Didn't care for some of the others mentioned.

post #14 of 21

Hey -- have a pair of new - in the mfg package - b2 bandits for sale - 158cm.

My daughter skied on demos a few times last year but they sold out of her size locally.

I bought the wrong length - these - at the summer and found the right ones for her.

 

If you're interested, call 925-998-4252.

 

--kim

 

 

post #15 of 21

PS -- She **loves** them.  She is a light, agressive skier and thinks they are perfect all around skis.

'Course we are Tahoe is not Colorado.

 

(Her older, heavier agressive Mom loves her Nordica Top Fuels and totally hated the "Women/Girl" K2 T9 series.)

 

 

post #16 of 21

Thanks, but 158 is a tad short for me.

post #17 of 21

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

 

For a few skiers whose abilities and aggressiveness border on the legendary, Rossignols may not be stiff enough. For the majority of skiers, Rossignol skis do not suck, they are fine. For a light weight skier who has been skiing five times, the ski you liked was and is fine. A similar current ski would be the Apache Raider from K2.

 

BTW.......that is another ski that sucks (in the minds of legendary skiers)

 

SJ

Dead on. And you can find plenty of lightly updated B78's online these days and this spring. They should be cheap in another month. That'd be my first call. Since you don't like Sollies, seems you want a damper but still light ski. Raider also qualifies, will be even damper (and heavier) than the B2. Intermediate friend owns them as his frontside ski, loves them. You might also take a look at the Dynastar Contact 10 (better for carving hardpack, crud, and bumps) or yep, the Legend 8000 (better for softer snow in general, also excellent in bumps, higher speed limit than the Contact.). Legends can be found all spring online for less and less; be patient and you could get a great deal. Contacts are harder to find, but a great ski if you like to arc all size turns on groomed or crud. A real turning machine. 

 

IMO, skis like the Hot Rods are a bit beefy for someone your size and level, and the AC's are, well, Germanic. Stiff, great edges, precise, again maybe not your cup'o tea right now. If you want something a touch more demanding than skis in the first paragraph, but with a slightly greater upside for learning to carve well, still forgiving and versatile, think about a Blizzard Magnum 7.6 or Head iM78. Both highly respected here, in case you buy into the hate-Rossi school. 

 

Length wise, you should go with something in the 160's, not 150's, unless you just want to make lots of low speed turns on groomed. Good luck! 

post #18 of 21

 178mm I own a B-2 176 mm.   I am an  aggressive intermediate skier and have been skiing for 10 years.    I learned on178mm  Dynastar SX a wonderful ski except in deep powder/snow it requires a little more speed than I am willing to do because it is a narrow ski at the waist.    My Rossi's B- 2 is  a fast ski and requires total attention while in the crud or ice.    I find  that they bounce around quite a bit in the rough and the corduroy.   But that is OK if your edges are sharp and the legs are up  to the task.     The aggressive  B-2 owner should not " ride" the ski, but instead "ski" the ski.    Snow skiing is not a "lollipop" snow activity if the owner wants to challenge themselves.     The B-2 is fun in deep snow and powder without a lot of speed.   They don't  sink quite as easily as my old Dynastar SX did.   The B-2 is a forgiving ski when I make mistakes during transition.    I like them because they are so light to move around or jump around obstacles . 

post #19 of 21

Ummmm.....................last post was 1 1/2 years ago. OP has probably already made a decision.

 

Thanks for the input though and welcome to Epic.

 

SJ

post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

I gots ta get me somma that Gnar stuff. Doyathink they have it at Safeway?

 

Gnar is more of a 7-11 and liquor store item.     Might be next to the bitters.

post #21 of 21


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
 
Gnar is more of a 7-11 and liquor store item.     Might be next to the bitters.
 


Oct 26, 2010

 

Hi Comprex and SJ:

 

Thanks.  Filling this important tidbit for future reference

 

Think snow,

 

CP

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What ski’s are comparable to Rossignol B2 Bandit