New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Cool Heat 76

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Anyone skied the 2010 Cold Heat 76?  The rep was telling me about it yesterday (I will be on it next month). He said it replaces the current model, is a tad stronger ski with full vertical sidewall construction, and, get this: retails for $699!  Sounds way too cheap for modified, wider race ski.  Anyone tried it out? The old Cool Heat was a great ski for good skiers, but pretty demanding.

 

The Cold Heat is gone for next year.  Fischer has abandoned the 80+mm carver in favor of the more soft-snow and bump oriented Watea above 80mm.  Probably not a bad idea.  People who really need a good ski with hard-snow ability doesn't need a whole lot of width (otherwise the snow won't be hard), and people who need a soft snow ski don't want an overly stiff ski.  Although I personally liked the Cold Heat: I will be a little sad to see it go with no real replacement available.

post #2 of 16

I have to agree with Fischer's strategy; the Wateas have been more rewarding in soft snow, and passable on packed snow (anything short of hardpack).  Other manufacturers still seem to be pursuing the wide carver though.  I just never saw the appeal of them in powder and crud.

 

So that's $699 with system bindings?  That seems inexpensive.

post #3 of 16

I wonder sometimes about how ski companies determine what to sell? Is it a target market, and then produce it? Or, is it just mess around with research and design -find a great thing, and then sell, or maybe a little of both?  Definitely, they learn from previous models and change or enhance.   Also, how much does success from competitors influence ski manufacturing choices?   I have noticed that some companies keep what they think is good around for a long while.  The Watea 101 or the Gotams hasn't changed that much for several years, and no rocker development until recently for the Goats.  Lot's to ponder- better off to just go skiingsee ya!

post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post

 

I have to agree with Fischer's strategy; the Wateas have been more rewarding in soft snow, and passable on packed snow (anything short of hardpack).  Other manufacturers still seem to be pursuing the wide carver though.  I just never saw the appeal of them in powder and crud.

 

So that's $699 with system bindings?  That seems inexpensive.

Probably a good thing for Fischer to narrow down the range. They are a specialty, semi-boutique brand, and too many skis just confuse the customer.  Most shops don't have room for 8 models from a particular brand anyways.  Plus, making a bunch of different skis gets expensive, and cost is of gear is going to be huge.  The $1000 ski/binding package sales are probably a thing of the past.  

post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaportrail View Post

 

I wonder sometimes about how ski companies determine what to sell? Is it a target market, and then produce it? Or, is it just mess around with research and design -find a great thing, and then sell, or maybe a little of both?  Definitely, they learn from previous models and change or enhance.   Also, how much does success from competitors influence ski manufacturing choices?   I have noticed that some companies keep what they think is good around for a long while.  The Watea 101 or the Gotams hasn't changed that much for several years, and no rocker development until recently for the Goats.  Lot's to ponder- better off to just go skiingsee ya!

Good question.  The rep said that Fischer came out with the wider, semi-rockered Watea not due to the fact that they feel it is a superior design, but that they needed a rocker in their line to keep some "street cred" amongst younger skiers.  

post #6 of 16

I thought that the Cool was $699 flat. (?????) Good idea if so and still a good deal for a top model. Unreal buy if its priced that way with a binding. (I didn't even look at it).

 

BTW....which Watea is rockered? I skied all of 'em and I thought they were all conventional. Course, I could just be off my....uhhhhh......

 

SJ

post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

 

I thought that the Cool was $699 flat. (?????) Good idea if so and still a good deal for a top model. Unreal buy if its priced that way with a binding. (I didn't even look at it).

 

BTW....which Watea is rockered? I skied all of 'em and I thought they were all conventional. Course, I could just be off my....uhhhhh......

 

SJ

Just going off what the rep told me. I haven't really started skiing yet, and haven't seen these in person.  He is sending me samples next month when I am back to skiing full speed.  I was told the Watea 114 was rockered, and the Cool Heat was a $699 system and a great deal. Hopefully that is the case!  

post #8 of 16

I am glad I have my Cool Heats.

 

I think given the economy, prices are going to drop.  Next year, is going to be bad for the industry.

 

I think part of the need for manufacturers to have a wide line is that the 8 models on the shelf in Denver will be different than the 8 in Michigan which will be different than the 8 in Vermont.

post #9 of 16

BTW, Last March, I paid $360 for my new Cold Heats from o2gearshop.  They included the Flowflex bindings.

post #10 of 16

I mounted my local reps gear.....no rocker on the 114, just the boat hull tip (new technology)

 

SJ

post #11 of 16

And what did you think?  How bout the shorter 101s??  Interested in hearing reviews on these.  Thanks 

post #12 of 16

I finally got out on my Cool Heats last weekend. It was just cruising around on greens with my son but the skis felt good and didn't seem like "too much ski" (for smaller people) as some people said in their reviews. You would think that would make them worse at slow speed but it didn't seem to be the case as far as I could tell. I like them and think they are a great value. I also paid around $360 shipped last fall.

post #13 of 16

I saw someone skiing on the 2010 Wateas (looked like the 114?) at JH.  Never got a chance to chase him down and ask about the skis, but I am very curious.  Would like to see how the hull tip is constructed.  Still love the 07-09 Watea 94s, so I hope the changes are an improvement. 

post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

I thought that the Cool was $699 flat. (?????) Good idea if so and still a good deal for a top model. Unreal buy if its priced that way with a binding.


2009 Fischer Cool Heat skis with Railflex II bindings are currently available at Levelnine for $369. Thinking this could be a good everyday ski out west (CO/CA) for working on turns/technique on groomers and bumps frontside, complemented with a Line Prophet 100 for "other" side focused days and any significant powder.

 

Comments?

post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc-ski View Post


2009 Fischer Cool Heat skis with Railflex II bindings are currently available at Levelnine for $369. Thinking this could be a good everyday ski out west (CO/CA) for working on turns/technique on groomers and bumps frontside, complemented with a Line Prophet 100 for "other" side focused days and any significant powder.

 

Comments?


It's a fun groomer ski.

 

Bumps not so much. The massive plate doesn't help. I ski bumps on them though I just try to use a lighter foot so I don't get pounded. 

 

FWIW I took mine out west the first couple trips after I got them and never used them. I always grabbed my wider skis even when it there was no fresh snow. Now I just leave them home. 

post #16 of 16

Thanks for sharing your take. Understand where you're coming from, but I suspect you've been skiing for a while and have a solid foundation. I'm still early into it all and need to cleanly build that, so I'm planning to be on the groomers a lot working on fundamentals, thus thinking a more groomer-oriented ski would be a better learning platform.

 

Something that was also good (or at least not too bad) in bumps and minimally sufficient for occasional ventures off the groomed would be a plus. Open to used if condition is good, otherwise keeping an eye open for older new skis at a good price.

 

Probably thinking about gear more than I need to since I can't ski (yet).  ;-)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion