or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Skiing vs Wildlife - Page 3

post #61 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post

 

Wyoming Rancher............now that's hard work. How many acres or should I say miles of range do you tend?

Nevada, not Wyoming.

 

The ranch is pretty small these days... when I was a kid we had about 10,000 ac. deeded and BLM... these days it's closer to 4,000 ac.  

post #62 of 74

Oh gosh I don't know where I got Wy. Still Nev's weather is harsh for outdoor work. What a job. Rope'n and Lope'n. My hat's off to you.

post #63 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum185 View Post

 

 

Deer up here in maine are special. In hunting season, they seem to go into underground bunkers and wait it out. But in the off season, they seem to model themselves like strippers!


 

I know those bunkers. And I just saw 5 healthy models just down the road.

 

 

post #64 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugaree View Post

 


 

I know those bunkers. And I just saw 5 healthy models just down the road.

 

 

post #65 of 74

post #66 of 74

John McPhee writes of a trapper in Alaska who set a porcupine on fire.  Porky freaks out and runs under the cabin.  Cabin burns down. Trapper freezes.

 

Yes, there is a God.

post #67 of 74

 

 

I see your "30 Point Buck" and raise you a "Second Week In Deer Camp".

post #68 of 74

Had a cabin in upstate PA overlooking the Catskills.  Yes, I know, the Cats are in NY but people get the Poconos & Endless Mountains mixed up ... so for the sake of simple geography and since all I could see looking out was Catskills ... whatever .... you get the picture.

 

Anyhoo, one year and for several years running the porkies declared war on all things wood especially the outhouse.

 

F'ing with the outhouse is serious stuff.  Sad but funny.

 

In one episode, lets call him Fred, is gnawing on the turlet supports and just as we put one into him, he jumps into the hopper hole.

 

An hour we hear more gnawing and there is Fred's buddy Amos, up on the corpse of his dead chum gnawing on the bottom of the toilet seat supports.  He's down in the honey hole but what the hell ... another round and he was done.

 

The task of the morning (before breakfast), is how to get two porcupines out of the out house honey hole.  The pitchfork didn't work .... but the fire place tongs did quite nicely.

 

This was by the way, the third time I had to rebuild the outhouse.  They also chawed up the shutters and planters .. and it didn't matter if it was ply or pressure treated; they chewed it and ignored the sacrificial piles of wood left for them.  I also tried to "alumi-clad" some parts (they tore it off), and pepper sprayed the wood along with wasp and hornet spray.  They seemed to love the stuff.

 

Did you know that buzzards won't even touch the corpse of a porkie?  Not even if you leave them "soft belly up"..

 

The taste however, is closer to lamb than "chicken". 

post #69 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post

 

If you've ever eaten a hamburger then you've done worse... actually, if you've eaten a salad you've killed. We all kill to survive, it's how LIFE works, deal with it.


 

That's the most misplaced argument I've ever heard. First--salad, really??!!! I'd edit that part out, because it looks ridiculous. Second, the porcupine was clearly not eaten by anyone or killed for that purpose. Your argument might be valid if this were a vegan v. meat eater thread, but not here.

 

As far as I'm concerned, resorts are on the animals territory and should respect that. Like another poster said, it wouldn't have been that difficult to capture the animal and set it free on more open space, solving everyone's problem. Now if it was a mountain lion or other animal that was causing a perceived threat to patrons, maybe that'd be different, but I agree with the original poster, this was kind of senseless.

 

I always liked Windham better anyway.

post #70 of 74

A porcupine who has taken up residence in an area such as a grove of pines is likley to do a lot of damage.  They girdle and kill the trees.

 

Now, Hunter has some steep terrain and I would hope that that was a rational choice regarding shooting the critter.  I would hope it was done to control erosion because pines are not tolerant when it comes to gettting stripped out ..... and yes ..... I did spend a few years with forestry in the government.

 

They are harmless and stupid oafs .... I've walked for a mile behind one up a trail and they don't give a hoot (like who is going to mess with one), and unless they are causing damage, I'd leave them alone.

 

I did hear it said that they are in the middle of a porcupine population explosion.  My buddy said they never had problems in the first ten years he owned the place .. it was over the last three years till it was sold last year .... and you could darn near see Hunter from there.

 

You think you "solved the problem" by shooting one out of the tree he/she was sleeping in but the next day there will be another sleeping in the same tree.  Go figure.

 

Another porky factoid ...  the only way to tell the sex of a porky .. is to kill it.  Can't tell from the outside.

post #71 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUT View Post

 


 

That's the most misplaced argument I've ever heard. First--salad, really??!!! I'd edit that part out, because it looks ridiculous. Second, the porcupine was clearly not eaten by anyone or killed for that purpose. Your argument might be valid if this were a vegan v. meat eater thread, but not here.

 

As far as I'm concerned, resorts are on the animals territory and should respect that. Like another poster said, it wouldn't have been that difficult to capture the animal and set it free on more open space, solving everyone's problem. Now if it was a mountain lion or other animal that was causing a perceived threat to patrons, maybe that'd be different, but I agree with the original poster, this was kind of senseless.

 

I always liked Windham better anyway.


 

Many skiers have seen the bear that hibernates in a cave on Colonels Chair; she comes out foraging during March and April during daylight. There's been talk about drugging and relocating her.

Where there's a will there's a way. Porcupines don't have the fan club that bears do, so Hunter management kills them with impunity.

post #72 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUT View Post

Your argument might be valid if this were a vegan v. meat eater thread, but not here.

 

 

Why not?

 

I can't believe this extremely anal thread has hit 3 pages.

 

The porky is dead, get over it.  

 

If you don't like it, don't do it - It's that simple.

 

 

 

 

post #73 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post

 Where there's a will there's a way. Porcupines don't have the fan club that bears do, so Hunter management kills them with impunity.


 

Impunity? I guess that makes them serial porcupine killers!!!! Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

That porcupine has been under the quad off and on all season, It was there when I left for Kashmir 2 weeks ago, and I'm betting it will be seen there again. If they really knock off porcupines with impunity, do you think they would have waited 4 months to knock it off. I've seen porcupines there for as long as I remember, have been part of the inner circle for 20+ years, and have never heard of anyone killing them at the mountain except for homeowners whose property they damaged. The only dead porcupine I've heard of at the resort was the one a patroller found dead in the middle of the trail on East Side Drive about 3 years ago on opening one morning, he drop kicked it into the woods.

 

I could just hear the conversation now if Phlog had asked me before I was an employee, when I didn't watch what I say.

Phlog- What happened to that cute porcupine I saw last visit?

Me (with my best redneck accent) Oh, a liftie shot him and made a hat out of him last week, the meat made for some fine eatin.

Phlog- ah crap, I'm gonna go home and tell everyone on the internet how they slaughter porcupines.

Me - (under my breath) I'm gonna go to the locker room and tell everyone how I made a city slicker cry over a porcupine

 

about a month ago, it left it's little grove of trees at the end of the day, and crossed Hellgate. We saw it on sweep climbing up the slope towards the summit lodge. I saw it back in it's trees later, but maybe it started to do damage up by the summit and they had to take care of it, but no, they don't kill with impunity.

 

BTW- I grew up in Brooklyn.

 

post #74 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-turn View Post

 


 

Impunity? I guess that makes them serial porcupine killers!!!! Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

That porcupine has been under the quad off and on all season, It was there when I left for Kashmir 2 weeks ago, and I'm betting it will be seen there again. If they really knock off porcupines with impunity, do you think they would have waited 4 months to knock it off. I've seen porcupines there for as long as I remember, have been part of the inner circle for 20+ years, and have never heard of anyone killing them at the mountain except for homeowners whose property they damaged. The only dead porcupine I've heard of at the resort was the one a patroller found dead in the middle of the trail on East Side Drive about 3 years ago on opening one morning, he drop kicked it into the woods.

 

I could just hear the conversation now if Phlog had asked me before I was an employee, when I didn't watch what I say.

Phlog- What happened to that cute porcupine I saw last visit?

Me (with my best redneck accent) Oh, a liftie shot him and made a hat out of him last week, the meat made for some fine eatin.

Phlog- ah crap, I'm gonna go home and tell everyone on the internet how they slaughter porcupines.

Me - (under my breath) I'm gonna go to the locker room and tell everyone how I made a city slicker cry over a porcupine

 

about a month ago, it left it's little grove of trees at the end of the day, and crossed Hellgate. We saw it on sweep climbing up the slope towards the summit lodge. I saw it back in it's trees later, but maybe it started to do damage up by the summit and they had to take care of it, but no, they don't kill with impunity.

 

BTW- I grew up in Brooklyn.

 


 

Actually, it wasn't a liftrat who told me, with a smile, about shooting porcupines on Hunter, it was a snowmaker.

 

He said they once killed one outside the lower entrance to the Summit Lodge and it took 3 shots before the thing stopped thrashing around and squealing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion