or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › Most Drool-inducing Road Bike?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most Drool-inducing Road Bike?

post #1 of 375
Thread Starter 

 What does it for you? If you could get any road bike, what would it be?

 

Here's the one I'd want -

post #2 of 375

It's totally irrational, but I like Bianchi.

I guess I'd go whatever their top of the line racing bike with Campy is.

I have an old entry level racing bike from them and I felt like a new rider on that after the POS I had been using.

But, I would NOT want that signature color of theirs, that sickly looking Celeste. No way!!! My pedals are that color and I HATE IT!!!!

post #3 of 375

Ridley Noah with Red or Super Record.

post #4 of 375
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi View Post

It's totally irrational, but I like Bianchi.

I guess I'd go whatever their top of the line racing bike with Campy is.

I have an old entry level racing bike from them and I felt like a new rider on that after the POS I had been using.

But, I would NOT want that signature color of theirs, that sickly looking Celeste. No way!!! My pedals are that color and I HATE IT!!!!

HAHA - I wouldn't buy a Bianchi that is NOT Celeste! In fact, that's why my last bike wasn't a Bianchi. The year I was looking for one they were all matte black and other "normal" colors. Even red won't do.

 

WWFR?

 

What Would Fausto Ride?

post #5 of 375

I'm going to have to go with an  Independent Fabrication XS. (although I wouldn't kick a Pinnarello Dogma or Pegoretti Responsorio or a Calfee out of bed either)

 

Indy Fab XS (cherry wood coated carbon with titanium lugs).  The titanium bits on this particular bike have been coated with a nickel oxide to make them as burly as drill bits.

post #6 of 375
Thread Starter 

There ya go Tyrone! I like IF's new stainless bike, the SSR. Remember guys, this thread is worthless without pics! 

post #7 of 375

Specialized Tarmac SL2, Sram Red & some stupidly expensive wheels.

 

This one is Mine.

 

 

post #8 of 375

Pinarello Prince with Super Record.  If it is good enough for Valverde it is good enough for me

 

Second choice is a Calfee Bamboo with Super Record (I know, this pic is with ShimaNo but I couldn't find one with Super Record), just because it is cool. 

 

 

post #9 of 375
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrash View Post 

 

 

Needs bamboo cranks, they'd better get to work on that.

post #10 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

 

HAHA - I wouldn't buy a Bianchi that is NOT Celeste! In fact, that's why my last bike wasn't a Bianchi. The year I was looking for one they were all matte black and other "normal" colors. Even red won't do.

 

WWFR?

 

What Would Fausto Ride?


 

Well, Fausto died very young...spent time as a POW...maybe it was that weird color that cursed him.

If the celeste floats your boat, go for it, epic. I just can't stand it.

 

Since pics were demanded, I guess I'd go with something like this...don't like the ones that have Ducati frames, I want freakin Bianchi!!!!!

I suppose I could live with that much celeste coloration in exchange for such a kickass ride...

This is what I have now...yeah, I know, no great shakes. But, a lot better than what I used to ride, and I still like it. I could definitely stand a new ride now, to be sure. Tell that to the wife, though..."You already HAVE a bike!!!"

I was going to buy a touring bike, but fell in love with the whippy feel of the race geometry when I test rode this one. No comparison, even in low end ~$1000ish bikes.

Mine has (ugly celeste) 2-sided SPD pedals, though...I know Look is supposed to work better, but I had SPD shoes, and thought my bikemates looked like idiots waddling around like ducks on their non-walkable Look clown shoes.

 

post #11 of 375

 

I'll throw my vote in for the Prince. It was the "center fold" of a Bicycling magazine issue, when I held it up in center fold fashion and whistled, it caught the wifes attention :| 


Edited by GeneT - 3/28/2009 at 04:58 am
post #12 of 375

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post

 

I'm going to have to go with an  Independent Fabrication XS. (although I wouldn't kick a Pinnarello Dogma or Pegoretti Responsorio or a Calfee out of bed either)

 

Indy Fab XS (cherry wood coated carbon with titanium lugs).  The titanium bits on this particular bike have been coated with a nickel oxide to make them as burly as drill bits.

Ha! I have a Dogma, got the last version on closeout from the distributor (we sell Pina).  It isn't great unless you can put out like 1400 watts in a sprint: pretty stiff and WAY heavier than advertised (1970g frame/fork/seatpost).  It was never made for lightweights like me anyways, more like Petacchi when he was winning everything for Fassa Bortolo.

post #13 of 375

My take (having owned a bunch of nice bikes in the past year or so, we sell all of this stuff):

 

Pinarello Dogma: a sprinters' bike, very solid, a little portly, the best power transfer out there, looks absolutely evil in the right color.  Definitely all business.

 

Pinarello Prince: a little stiff for a carbon bike, great power transfer, either you love the curves or you figure that Pinarello left it in the oven too long.  Heavier than advertised.

 

Pinarello Paris (my current ride): great all-around bike, gives up very little to the Prince, again a bit heavy, but super stout and durable race bike.  A bit stiff for a lightweight like myself

 

Colnago C50: ride that can't be beat, a great all-around, all-day bike.  Super classy paintjob, traditional appearance, will look great 20 years from now.  Pricey for what you get, but a new EPS might fit the bill.

 

Look 595 Team: probably the best all-around bike for a guy my weight, at least that I have yet tried..  C50'ish sublime ride quality, the lightest weight of any bike here, superb, balanced handling, just feels like a well thought out race machine.  ISP is a terrible idea, which is why I got rid of mine (hard to travel with).  

 

Cannondale Super Six: my main ride last season, close to the 595 in terms of ride quality, heavier frame (same weight this year) as the 595, but lighter due to the extremely sick crankset. Great all-around race bike, handles like an Italian bike, can get a complete bike for less than a frame goes for from some of the others on this list. 

 

Bike I am lusting after: Lynskey Helix! It would be great to have a race bike that wasn't likely to be damaged in a crash.  

 

 

 

 

post #14 of 375

I really dont know much about the bike, nor am I worthy of such a machine, but I saw it at my local bike shop and thought it was the most amazing production bike I have ever seen.

 

Orbea

Ordu Limited
 
 

post #15 of 375
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post

 

I really dont know much about the bike, nor am I worthy of such a machine, but I saw it at my local bike shop and thought it was the most amazing production bike I have ever seen.

 

That's some ind of local bike shop!

 

Here's the thing though Richie - you don't have to be worthy. That's one of the things that's cool about the bike lust. I can never own a McLaren MP4-24 or an Audi R-15 and while I probably could get Bode's skis if  I tried hard enough, I sure wouldn't want to ski them. On the other hand, I could go out and but Lance Armstrong's bike tomorrow and it would be a great ride.

post #16 of 375

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post

 

I really dont know much about the bike, nor am I worthy of such a machine, but I saw it at my local bike shop and thought it was the most amazing production bike I have ever seen.

 

Orbea

Ordu Limited
 
 

 

just dont ride it while its windy and youll be fine :)

post #17 of 375
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

 

 

 

just dont ride it while its windy and youll be fine :)

 

The disc would probably be bad, but you'd be surprised how good newer wheels can be at different yaw angles. I swapped one day from Zip 404s to a set of Campy Omega 19s (box section rim) on Ultegra hubs and the 404s were actually better in the crosswind.

post #18 of 375

Usually roadies don't make me drool. However......I could get excited about this one:

post #19 of 375

Here's my entry.....

Peter Weigle's 2008 Cirque award winner

post #20 of 375

In the "I despise straight forks" category, I've been drooling over this design for a dozen years now:

 

 

http://www.conceptechnology.biz/Framesets.html

 

post #21 of 375

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post

 

In the "I despise straight forks" category....

 

 

 

 

 

 

I absolutely hate the look of straight forks...even more than sloping top tubes (if that's possible!)

post #22 of 375

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

 

I absolutely hate the look of straight forks...even more than sloping top tubes (if that's possible!)

 

Colnago:

 

A) is a force for good

B) is a force for evil

C) I am conflicted.

D) All of the above

E) A and C but not B

post #23 of 375

Colnago......

 

1980 was about the last time I paid any attention...like this Mexico Oro

 

post #24 of 375

 

New for 2009-  Colnago Master-X-Light

Steel is still real!  The Molteni color makes me drool.

 

But I wouldn't mind this either-

 

Just put a few miles on my 1980 Celeste Superleggero today.  Helps take my mind off of the ski season ending too soon.

post #25 of 375

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTripodi View Post

 

 

New for 2009-  Colnago Master-X-Light

Steel is still real!  The Molteni color makes me drool.

 

 

Is a 'real' steel fork available with it? 'Cause putting a carbon wonder fork on this just would not be an option!

post #26 of 375

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

 

 

 

I absolutely hate the look of straight forks...even more than sloping top tubes (if that's possible!)

 

so i guess you like banging your boys while mountain biking?!

post #27 of 375

 

 

Quote:

Is a 'real' steel fork available with it? 'Cause putting a carbon wonder fork on this just would not be an option!

 

 

Yup:

 

The Master X Light remains one of Colnago's most sought after framesets. The Master X Light is classic and for 2009 Colnago pulled no punches by offering the historic Molteni Orange and Zabel Blue. The Master X Light is made out of Columbus DT 15V steel tubeset developed by Colnago and Columbus together in 2003. The frame is assembled via stunning chromed lugs for the purist who wants that classic ride that only comes from a lugged steel frame. Details include hand painted logos and detailing on the lugs, chrome chain stays, classic paint schemes, and the always beautiful Colnago logo on the one inch head tube.

The Master X Light delivers the classic steel ride that turns rough roads silky smooth. The Master X Light was discontinued in 2005. The "Steel Is Real" crowd let their demands be known and Colnago brought back a true classic. This frame is a culmination of Ernesto Colnago’s 55 years experience of working with the best racers and experimenting to build the world's best steel bike. The Master X-Light is available in 17 sizes between 49cm-65cm, and comes with the 1 inch Precisa steel fork.

 

__________________

 

Although, horror of horrors, it does look rather straight to me.

 

 

I might be able to put up with it though.  Not as horrible as a sloping top tube!

 

 

post #28 of 375

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post

 

In the "I despise straight forks" category, I've been drooling over this design for a dozen years now:

 

 

http://www.conceptechnology.biz/Framesets.html

 


Bought some aero bars from a guy who rode that bike on his commute everyday. Said it was a pretty great ride! Go to your LBS and try one on, comprex!

 

My own vote goes for one of these puppies from Neuvation. mmmmmm...

 

Carbon Sram Red C50

post #29 of 375

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reducedfatoreo View Post

 

 


Bought some aero bars from a guy who rode that bike on his commute everyday. Said it was a pretty great ride! Go to your LBS and try one on, comprex!

 

 

Heh. Steel beam bikes are a bit thin on the ground even here.    Easier (far) to find a funny bike.

 

I do know several people who commuted on Y-foils.    Aero frames /are/ warmer you know.  

post #30 of 375

Lynskey Helix.....I'll take mine with the new electric Dura Ace though

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › Most Drool-inducing Road Bike?