My five, and I have my reasons:
- Jackson Hole. IMV, best US resort. Had a great week here showing an Italian friend the Rockies. A place that oozes the American ski experience. Best ski bar in world doesn't hurt.
- St Anton. IMV, best resort in Alps. I have a lot of history at this place, and it's become a reunion spot for me and some of my US ski buddies. Wife had powder breakthrough there once. Great village, great runs.
- Crested Butte. This was a tough one, because it was either CB or Alta. I give CB the edge, not for snow or anything, but because I love the steeps and especially the town. Got my wife hooked on North American skiing here.
- Mad River Glen. I learned to ski here. No matter where I ski in the world, could be Verbier, could be heliskiing in Canada, some part of me always misses Mad River. Especially Lynx. And having MRG on the list makes the Alta ommission more palatable.
- Madesimo. Far from the best ski resort or ski mountain in the Alps, but I've now skied here more than any other hill, and this town is more home to me than anywhere else in the world. To know it is to appreciate it. A great spring mountain, good steeps and a village to make you forget city life. Extra points for the clubby feeling you get when you know all the regulars.