EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Advanced skiing for a NYC day trip - Camelback or Hunter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advanced skiing for a NYC day trip - Camelback or Hunter

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

I'm not excited about either to be honest I would much rather hit Stowe or Killington but my friends don't want to travel that far. Which has better terrain? I'm guessing Hunter but will the crowds be worse than at Camelback?

 

Does either place have nice woods?

post #2 of 19

Hunter was not that crowded two weekends ago.

 

Other places you can check out are Plattekill, and Belleayre

post #3 of 19

Camelback has mostly beginner terrain.  There are 4-5 steeps on the front but they flatten out fast at the bottom.  No glades.  I would look further north.

post #4 of 19

I do day trips to Plattekill from NYC area all the time.  Only opened Fri, Sat. and Sun. (or the day following a 12" or more dump).  Cheap, zero crowds, and great terrain off the double with a continuous vertical of 1100'.  Everything is inbounds thus plenty of  woods skiing.  Very quaint and old fashioned.

post #5 of 19

Hunter wasn't crowded today, either.

When there's enough snow there are a few spots to do some tree skiing; the total vertical isn't much, maybe 400, then you have to get back onto a trail; either the one you came from or an adjacent one. For years I've been looking at some beautiful spots at Hunter where the trees are space widely enough and there's a good pitch; but there's never, ever, been enough snow. 

 

post #6 of 19

Hunter ftw!

 

Hunter has steeps like K27 (probably the steepest run in the Catskills) and long bump runs on the Hunter West (best bumps in the Catskills, possibly New York?).

 

Hunter West = 0 crowds.

Hunter Mountain = Only major (5-10 minutes) lines on the High Speed Quad.

 

 

As said above, Camelback has very small amounts of steep sections, and they don't even rival Hunter's double blacks (or even some blacks).

post #7 of 19

 I hate to be a downer but i really really think hunter is a wretched hive of [ski] scum and villiany"  Icy, rude crowded, expensive, prone to ski theft. did i say icy?  Also dangerous, even more so now with ipods.

 

Ive ski'd outside of nyc for most of my life but never tried plattenkill? How far from nyc is it?  Is it a real viable option to hunter

post #8 of 19

Plattekill is north of Belleayre off rt 28, about 3 hours from NYC. To compare it with Hunter: no crowds, much less ice as they don't blow a lot of snow so most of it is natural and they get a lot more of it, less vertical, lot more tree runs, cheaper. Hunter overall has harder terrain but runs like Blockbuster at Platt are all natural and pretty steep and bumped up. They are having a good year so far.

post #9 of 19

"Is it a real viable option to Hunter?"

 

I have been known to make day trips to Hunter as a viable alternative when Plattekill is closed on weekdays. I'm sure the reverse will work as well!

 

Less than 30 min. West and North past Belleayre.

 

I would be there now except for the fact that I have a very inconsiderate friend who actually had the nerve to get married on a weekend during ski season!

 

Plattekill prices this weekend were nuts, by the way- Fri. $15.00, Ski Sat. $50 and Sunday is Free!

I'm sure the conditions are superb too- dammit.

 

And yes, with the all in bounds policy there is plenty of terrain to make as challenging as you wish.

post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTripodi View Post

I would be there now except for the fact that I have a very inconsiderate friend who actually had the nerve to get married on a weekend during ski season!

 

...... and Sunday is Free!

 

LOL.....I had something similar a few weeks ago....I was furious....told my SO I dont have to go, go without me.....that didnt go over too well.

 

Wait what?  Sunday is free????

post #11 of 19

I steer clear of Hunter (as I have said on this forum before) because of the jeans and Jets Starter jacket crowd.

 

Why not Windham? Same distance as Hunter. # parts to the mountain, which is skied right can lead to crowd free skiing and the patrons seem less prone to SWI.

post #12 of 19

 whats swi?  skiing while intox.?

post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSkier55 View Post

 

I steer clear of Hunter (as I have said on this forum before) because of the jeans and Jets Starter jacket crowd.

 

Why not Windham? Same distance as Hunter. # parts to the mountain, which is skied right can lead to crowd free skiing and the patrons seem less prone to SWI.

 Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to be honest I couldn't give a rats ass what everyone else looks like or is wearing I am there to ski (though if I could choose everyone would be in speed suits and full face helmets skiing on GS skis ).  Furthermore I don't know where everyone says these "jeans and Jets Starter jacket crowd" are because I seldom see them.  I see them as often as I seem them at any NE resort, that includes Stowe.  My only gripe with Hunter is that at times it can be very crowded, but not anymore so than any of the large VT resorts on a holiday weekend and that only applies to the front face, the West side is nearly always empty, even holiday weekends.


Edited by Richie-Rich - 2/12/2009 at 08:07 am
post #14 of 19

I'd go to hunter, or look elsewhere.  I was at camelback last weekend and it was pretty badly overcrowded (which was odd, to be fair), and the terrain was really flat and the snowpack was poorely groomed.  The whole mountain could definately stand to be at least 1.5x as steep.  Also beware if its warm, the parking lot turned into a giant mudpit when the ice thawed.

post #15 of 19

SWI - Skiing while intox.

 

RR - My description was shorthand for groups or guys who drink too much, ski too fast (for their ability), curse too much and ruin the experience for others. I seem to encounter this breed of individual at Hunter more than any other mountain. I could care less what they wear. I did not mean to insult Jets fans either.

post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuzz View Post

 

 I hate to be a downer but i really really think hunter is a wretched hive of [ski] scum and villiany. Icy, rude crowded, expensive, prone to ski theft. did i say icy?  Also dangerous, even more so now with ipods.

 

Ive ski'd outside of nyc for most of my life but never tried plattenkill? How far from nyc is it?  Is it a real viable option to hunter

 Hysterical!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSkier55 View Post

 

I steer clear of Hunter (as I have said on this forum before) because of the jeans and Jets Starter jacket crowd.

 

Why not Windham? Same distance as Hunter. # parts to the mountain, which is skied right can lead to crowd free skiing and the patrons seem less prone to SWI.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSkier55 View Post

 

SWI - Skiing while intox.

 

RR - My description was shorthand for groups or guys who drink too much, ski too fast (for their ability), curse too much and ruin the experience for others. I seem to encounter this breed of individual at Hunter more than any other mountain. I could care less what they wear. I did not mean to insult Jets fans either.

Will Brett Favre's 'retirement' be good for Hunter?

Btw, RichieRich was skiing there at very high speed recently!

Windham is a pretty good mountain! I like it, but it'll probably be crowded too. Also, around there are the weirdest ski shops I've ever been in.  The one on the mountain is normal and good, but the others are doing odd things like selling 2-3 year old skis for close to orig. retail!  At least it was like that a few years ago.

 

Platekill should be tried! Super old school and small.  I doubt anyone will be there!

I tried to go there last year but it was closed because it was a weekday.

Be warned though, there is nothing else there.  No restaruants/shops etc.  You need to have your ski gear in order!  Down the road near Margaretville, there's restaurants and stuff.  Also a bar with almost the cheapest 'decent' (doubt SO's will agree) food I've ever seen.  They still allow smoking in there though. (last season anyway) so be prepared.  I think two of us had dinner for under 15$ - with tip!

 

Also near Margaretville is the house last year that the State Police burned down and shot their own officer trying to catch someone.

post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post

 

.......that only applies to the front face, the West side is nearly always empty, even holiday weekends.


Edited by Richie-Rich - 2/12/2009 at 08:07 am

 

Is this really accurate? I grew up skiing there every weekend and the lines on the west side were just a notch below those on the front, which is not saying much... Has this somehow changed?  Not to go on a "hunta" bash but i just think that place has really bad karma

 

 

post #18 of 19

It is, West side is mainly (if not only) diamonds, as such you really don't see many people there.  Those that you do see vanish so quickly that they don't pose much of a problem..well unless you like to stand around or if youre a boarder sitting in the middle of the trail.

post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post

 

It is, West side is mainly (if not only) diamonds, as such you really don't see many people there.  Those that you do see vanish so quickly that they don't pose much of a problem..well unless you like to stand around or if youre a boarder sitting in the middle of the trail.

 

You don't really see many boarders sitting in the middle of the trail on Hunter West. 1k vertical of double black moguls puts only the stronger boarders on this run who aren't idiots and sit in the middle of the run.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Advanced skiing for a NYC day trip - Camelback or Hunter