The clear plastic top sheet of my beloved Fischer RX8's (165cm) has started peeling off / delaminating after a collision with a slalom gate during a fun run down a slalom course (sanctioned run).
The part peeling off is a clear plastic sheet that covers the top sheet graphics. If you run your fingers across the plastic sheet you can feel that it is very slick and has small grooves running longitudinally. The peeling area starts at the ski-tip protector and runs back about 5 inches. At is widest point it extends about 1.5 inches from the edge fo the ski toward the centerline of the ski. I skied on them once after I initally noticed the peeling area, and the peeling area got bigger as a result of skiing on it. I can see why skiing would cause the peeling area to spread, as the peeling area is on the shovel, which is often churning through the snow when the skis are on edge.
I purchased the skis new in Februarry 2008 from an online vemdor (no Fischer dealer in my town), but the skis are from several model years back.
The issue appears to be cosmentic only, and I would prefer to fix the peeling area rather than return the skis for repair or replacement. I would appreciate any advice that anyone can provide regarding this repair, especially people who have experience doing similar repairs. My thoughts:
- I need a low-viscosity adhesive so that it will flow right up to the peel/no-peel junction.
- I need an adhesive that will remain flexible and not break down under moisture and low-temperature conditions.
- Ideally I would like to have a clear adhesive so that the graphics are still visible (I like the looks of the ski and I would like to do a professional job!).
I am thinking a low-viscosity epoxy resin is what I need for this job. Any recommendations or product suggestions? Or is there a better product for this job?
Also would appreciate advice on best way to do the repair:
- Best way to apply the adhesive so that it spreads right to the edge of the peel/no-peel junction, so that there is no bubble or boundary line?
- Best way to apply even clamping pressure a curved area (where the ski tip turns upward)?
Any other ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.