New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I hate all season tires - Page 3

post #61 of 86
Machine washable? Wonder what happens if you use softener sheets?

http://www.autosock.us/
post #62 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometjo View Post
In those same Sierra's the CA DOT thinks M/S tires and 4WD are sufficiently effective that you don't have to USE those chains in most chain control situations.

You gotta wonder how much of that thinking is sheer political pressure derived from the numbers they'd turn away otherwise.
post #63 of 86
Saw that last year and was impressed, haven't seen any in the wild yet.
post #64 of 86
post #65 of 86
post #66 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
You could just move over so they could pass easily, but then you wouldn't achieve your daily dick points quota.

LOL...Wow.

What happens when you're in the slow lane with a tailgater and there's too much traffic in the fast lane for him to go around, smarty pants magee?

I'm about to go out to pick up safety supplies. Hopefully there's someone to screw with on 36 between Sheridan and 104th so I can allot my daily dick points.

You should coin that term, man. Hilarious.
post #67 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPete View Post
Maybe you woulda been happier if I hit the guy in front of me, because "who needs winter tires".

I can assure you that is not the case. I'm happy that you came away unscathed. I don't wish to see anyone get into any accidents.

BTW...Weather Channel is doing a special on Steamboat's winter weather right this moment and showing some sweet skiing segments.
post #68 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGnar View Post
What happens when you're in the slow lane with a tailgater and there's too much traffic in the fast lane for him to go around, smarty pants magee?
That'd just be poor planning on the tailgaters part...no need to slow down and encourage them to do something else stupid though. I'm talking about on roads with one lane in each direction where passing can be made much easier and safer if you move to the right and let off the throttle.

When you drive a short car it is difficult to pass people in trucks that obstruct your view when they hug the center lane. (or in winter, sometimes hog the entire road) Doing that on purpose is a dick move.

Good luck with the safety supplies, hope your safety meetings go well.
post #69 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
That'd just be poor planning on the tailgaters part...no need to slow down and encourage them to do something else stupid though. I'm talking about on roads with one lane in each direction where passing can be made much easier and safer if you move to the right and let off the throttle.

When you drive a short car it is difficult to pass people in trucks that obstruct your view when they hug the center lane. (or in winter, sometimes hog the entire road) Doing that on purpose is a dick move.

Good luck with the safety supplies, hope your safety meetings go well.


All great points.

Alright now i'm really leaving. When I come back, i'll have a safety meeting, reread the thread, then post what I really think about the ordeal.
post #70 of 86
Bay area folks just don't have enough experience driving in adverse conditions. Give them all the gear they need and they'll still find a way to cause accidents.

When I lived in Berkeley, almost every time it started raining I would hear sirens going off within ten minutes of the roads getting wet.

There's just no substitute for knowledge and skill.
post #71 of 86
All season tire demonstration.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dooKpdIwwR4
post #72 of 86
Go figure. I feel the same way I did before.
post #73 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post
Why would you be driving in snow country without snow tires
Doesn't sound very responsible to me. I personally think it should be a ticketable offence (creating a public nuisance)

And back off too
There are an awful lot of people in the poor rural parts of the snow belt who have to choose between buying food and paying their utility bill. You're going to give them a ticket because they don't buy snow tires?

A competent snow driver can get around just fine with summer tires. Sure, snow tires give you a much higher safety margin but there are plenty of people in north country on summer tires who have no problem coping with winter driving. We all see winter driving accidents. Invariably, it's some tool from the flatlands who doesn't understand the traction limitations of their car and has absolutely no winter driving skills. Flatland SUV owners are the worst since they've decided that 4WD and their stock M/S tires makes their 5,000 pounds of hurtling missile invincible.

Disclaimer: The VW GTI has the $1K Tire Rack Blizzak WS-60 package with the cheap alloys and tire pressure monitors. The SUV runs studded Nokians on some barely used stock alloys I bought on eBay from a wheel shop. I can afford to pay for the added safety margin. When I was a poor college student in Burlington, VT back in the day, I had no trouble getting around in a battered RWD car and summer tires. I never missed a powder day.
post #74 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
http://www.naf.no/Forbrukertester/

Does pig fry = peg-free?
Hey, that's my automobile association

Piggfri = stud free = non studded... you get the picture

Classic quote from a Norwegian interview in English: "Do you have piggs in your dekks?" = "Do you have studded tyres?"

Nope, I'm not going "piggfri" any season soon. Not if this winter is gonna be typical.
post #75 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post

Funny, you totally don't need that for the numerical tables, the root words are so close that you can get a durn good idea just by looking at it long enough.

Pigg - peg, torr - dry , våt - wet, stirred lightly with germanic things like knapp for close, glatt for smooth, bremsen for braking.

Squawker, tell them good job then!
post #76 of 86
Here if one mounts snow-tyres (here are coded M+S, and must be mounted on all four wheels) is exempted from carrying chains on board.
The road code do equates snow-tyres (M+S) and snow-chains.
The new generation of M+S tyres is very effective in cold weather as well, say from 6-7 deg C and below.
post #77 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
You could just move over so they could pass easily, but then you wouldn't achieve your daily dick points quota.
Move over to where?
The side of the road? F-him for being a dumbass and riding me.
If I had good insurance, I'd slam on my brakes to teach him a lesson, but I need my truck to much.
Has nothing to do with being a dick, they generally get the point after 5 miles of 20 mph and back off, then i drive normal. Their car isn't sufficient enough to pass me because the roads are bad, but I know for sure their driving skill isn't good enough to stop if i stop. Considering they just came up on me at a higher speed then i was traveling.
post #78 of 86
[Moderator Hat On]

Friendly reminder! As a community of open dialog on skiing and snowsports, EpicSki's stance is that terms such as "right or wrong" and "good or bad" have a poor application in productive discussions. Please remember that values and experiences are subjective to each person, and it's OK to disagree with another poster's opinions without character attacks and slander. Be aware that satire, sarcasm or facetious comments, intended as humor, may not be read in the tone intended. Disruptive posts may be subject to deletion or closing of the thread.

Cool it guys!

Thank you!

[/Moderator Hat Off]

Think snow!
post #79 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
Think snow!
We are talking about snow! :P

How bout them Lions....
post #80 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post

Quote:
Originally posted by cometjo
In those same Sierra's the CA DOT thinks M/S tires and 4WD are sufficiently effective that you don't have to USE those chains in most chain control situations.
You gotta wonder how much of that thinking is sheer political pressure derived from the numbers they'd turn away otherwise.
The other thing is that dedicted winter tires are pretty much impossible for people living in Socal who ski in the Sierra's--you are moving from summer conditions to winter conditions on a weekly basis. In those circumstances M+S (not "all season") tires are the most sensible compromise.
post #81 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometjo View Post
The other thing is that dedicted winter tires are pretty much impossible for people living in Socal who ski in the Sierra's--you are moving from summer conditions to winter conditions on a weekly basis. In those circumstances M+S (not "all season") tires are the most sensible compromise.
came in late on an issue I have been spewing about for a while, so I have to say: if you ski, and you drive from the coast to the mountains, get an extra set of rims and put on real snow tires if you are driving up into a storm. If you don't , you are a nuisance, AKA PITA, and a hazard.

the roads get so slick here, if you get out of your car, you will be unable to walk on the highway.
post #82 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPete View Post
I am sure you will get over it.
I have an appointment with my shrink later today. I'll let you know how it went.

post #83 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post
the roads get so slick here, if you get out of your car, you will be unable to walk on the highway.
ha-ha,hang on to the car,as you think to yourself, god I was driving 50 mph!
post #84 of 86
I hate people that follow too closely!
post #85 of 86
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post
came in late on an issue I have been spewing about for a while, so I have to say: if you ski, and you drive from the coast to the mountains, get an extra set of rims and put on real snow tires if you are driving up into a storm. If you don't , you are a nuisance, AKA PITA, and a hazard.

the roads get so slick here, if you get out of your car, you will be unable to walk on the highway.
My beef with people with poor skills/equipment has been years in the making. When you live in snow country these shortcomings become annoying or worse. I have broken down the unskilled/ill equipped in to two broad classes.

Person A. Drives 15-25MPH on a clear road, because there is snow next to the pavement. I kid you not. Always seems to occur on my way to work or going home from a day of skiing.

Person B. Drives 50MPH on packed snow, because he is driving an SUV with mud & snow tires. Always seems to occur on the way to the ski resort. Variation of person B is the fellow who ignores the chain up signs and then drives as far as he can before he slides and can’t drive any further. He then gets out and puts his chains on in the middle of the road. On the three mile (1000 foot gain) access road to the resort one passes three or four of said individuals every time the chain up signs are displayed.
post #86 of 86

tires

What I don't think people realize is that even though you have tread remaining on your tire, once the tread pattern loses it's original profile original/tested performance can drop dramatically depending on the tire. Some tires will do better than others but at some point there is a dramatic decline. You can't rely on a visual assessment.

I have been riding motorcycles for for 40 years and it really comes into play here where your contact patch is a fraction of a car. Even though the tire looks good, if the tread pattern has lost it's profile, high end performance really suffers. Handling in water and snow requires high performance. I never ran the tread down too far on my motorcycle but It's always the same experience when I put a new set of rubber on. I think WOW this thing handles so much better with brand new meat.


That has happened to my car this year. It handles fine on dry pavement under normal operating conditions and there is plenty of tread. But I have noticed a dramatic drop in the tires performance since last year in snow. My driving habits have been adjusted accordingly (slower and plenty of space) and I warn my wife about it constantly. I drove across Vail pass in a storm about 3 weeks ago and it handled fine but In the back of my mind I new my tires were down on performance.

I will milk the tires through this winter and then still have a good tire through the summer. But this fall it will be time for new skins.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion