EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Where (and what) to buy boots in CO?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where (and what) to buy boots in CO?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hi All,

I'm travelling to CO in a weeks time for a ski trip and am planning to buy some new boots at the start of the trip.

I fly into Denver Sunday evening and have the chance to buy the boots in Denver Monday morning before departing for the mountains. Planning to stay in the Greenwood/Englewood area.

Our first week will be in Steamboat Springs.

I'm looking for a few suggestions on the following
- Buy in Steamboat or Denver?
- Recommended stores to get a well fitted boot?
- What boot to buy?

On the 3rd question, I've read in a few posts buy as expensive as you can. I have to balance that with the fact that I only get to ski once a year and the travel etc tends to be quite expensive, so the piggy bank ain't all that full.

My ability is around the Intermediate/Advanced Int level.

I see Sports Authority for example have boots in the $200 - $300 range whereas others such as Christies start at the $300 mark and go way up from there.

Thanks in advance for any help ....
post #2 of 12
1) READ FIRST: Ski Gear Advice Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
2) Ask the Boot Guys forum
3) "buy as expensive as you can" Wrong - buy the best fit you can. Be honest about your ability.
4) Buy in Steamboat or at a shop that has a place in Steamboat unless you don't think you'll need any mods done.

If you buy at one place and get your mods done there they'll be free, otherwise expect to pay $40-$50 for each punch or mod - can get pricy quickly if you need anything done.

There is a Sports Auth in Steamboat, but I don't know what they do for mods.
post #3 of 12
If you buy boots from Sports Authority, you deserve any boot pain you get x5.

Good fitting boots do not need to be expensive, fit is where its at. Buy what fits and is appropriate for you. Based on this post, I'm assuming you are a beginner, beginner boot will not be that expensive.

Ask about a good fitter in the ask the boot guys section, I'm sure you can find a good fitter in either location. Are there any boot fitters near where you live?

Get foot beds made, makes a huge difference.

Try the "Search" function, there have been about 10 posts nearly identical to this in the last month.

If anyone tells you to ask this at TGR, don't. Unless you like being verbally urinated on.

have fun and enjoy your trip.
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
1) READ FIRST: Ski Gear Advice Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Did that. Some good advice on what to do in the shop. Was interested to find out if buying on a budget is futile or not and also some specifics on the places I'll be visiting.
Quote:
2) Ask the Boot Guys forum
Doh! Dived into the first forum that looked relevant.
Quote:
3) buy as expensive as you can; Wrong - buy the best fit you can. Be honest about your ability.
Sounds better to me.
Quote:
4) Buy in Steamboat or at a shop that has a place in Steamboat unless you don't think you'll need any mods done.If you buy at one place and get your mods done there they'll be free, otherwise expect to pay $40-$50 for each punch or mod - can get pricy quickly if you need anything done.

There is a Sports Auth in Steamboat, but I don't know what they do for mods.
Would be nice to get a good fit without mods - but your point about being able to go back if they are needed is a very good one.

Thanks ....
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
If you buy boots from Sports Authority, you deserve any boot pain you get x5.
I kinda thought as much.
Quote:
Good fitting boots do not need to be expensive, fit is where its at. Buy what fits and is appropriate for you. Based on this post, I'm assuming you are a beginner, beginner boot will not be that expensive.
Well as a once a year skier with about 10 trips under my belt, I'm definitely on the less experienced end of the scale. Comfortable on Blues and attempt the odd black. Seem to be stuck on that "intermediate plateau" making some progress each trip and then forgetting a lot of it by next trip.
Quote:
Ask about a good fitter in the ask the boot guys section, I'm sure you can find a good fitter in either location. Are there any boot fitters near where you live?
Will ask. Am travelling from Ireland where there's no skiing and really only one (expensive) store for gear. Would rather go somewhere with a lot more custom.
Quote:
Get foot beds made, makes a huge difference.

Try the "Search" function, there have been about 10 posts nearly identical to this in the last month.

If anyone tells you to ask this at TGR, don't. Unless you like being verbally urinated on.

have fun and enjoy your trip.
Thanks for the tips ....
post #6 of 12
Go to Larry's Boot fitting in Boulder...

They will work with you and your budget...

They really know what they are doing...

Call ahead and make an appointment...

http://larrybootfitting.com/Default.aspx
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_skier View Post
Seem to be stuck on that "intermediate plateau" making some progress each trip and then forgetting a lot of it by next trip.
Everyone gets stuck there, with decent fitting boots and footbeds, you WILL progress MUCH faster than without. I really felt like my break through wqas right around the first time I had decent boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_skier View Post
Will ask. Am travelling from Ireland where there's no skiing and really only one (expensive) store for gear. Would rather go somewhere with a lot more custom.
.
Smart move, didn't know where you were. Wait until you hit CO. Find the most knowledgeable shop you can afford.
post #8 of 12
Can't help you on the boot front but if you see a few northern-english lads looking lost in Steamboat, that'll be us

We'll be there 4th-8th Feb

Early forecast for a bit of snow towards the end of next week

Joe
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_skier View Post
Recommended stores to get a well fitted boot?
Stay away from Sports Authority or other mass merchandisers unless you've brought your own bootfitting expert with you. I've never seen one that had anything approaching expert bootfitters.

And I'd recommend you stay away from Surefoot. They bill themselves as expert bootfitters but my experiences with them, over a number of years and at a number of their shops, was terrible.

Quote:
Buy in Steamboat or Denver?
Consider the Harb Skier Alignment Center about an hour west of Denver:
  • After years of fitting and alignment problems, they put me in boots that fit my feet and fitted the boots well.
  • They're top notch at alignment -- making adjustments to ensure you're balanced and can move from edge-to-edge easily. If you've never been aligned, it can a huge difference in your skiing.
  • They're close to Loveland Ski Area, so you can get your boots, get them fitted and aligned, go try them out and then go back to the shop at end of day for fit adjustments (there are always fit adjustments).
  • They're nice folks.
Their website is: http://www.harbskisystems.com/location.htm

If it looks like a good fit, call or e-mail and reserve some time -- they tend to book up:
  • (303) 567-0679
  • ask.us@harbskisystems.com
Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

Rick

PS I'd encourage you to stretch your budget a little on boots if needed. In the right boots, properly fitted, you'll ski better, be more comfortable and be able to keep them for years.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post



Consider the Harb Skier Alignment Center about an hour west of Denver:
  • After years of fitting and alignment problems, they put me in boots that fit my feet and fitted the boots well.
  • They're top notch at alignment -- making adjustments to ensure you're balanced and can move from edge-to-edge easily. If you've never been aligned, it can a huge difference in your skiing.
  • They're close to Loveland Ski Area, so you can get your boots, get them fitted and aligned, go try them out and then go back to the shop at end of day for fit adjustments (there are always fit adjustments).
  • They're nice folks.
Their website is: http://www.harbskisystems.com/location.htm

If it looks like a good fit, call or e-mail and reserve some time -- they tend to book up:
  • (303) 567-0679
  • ask.us@harbskisystems.com
Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

Rick

PS I'd encourage you to stretch your budget a little on boots if needed. In the right boots, properly fitted, you'll ski better, be more comfortable and be able to keep them for years.
Yup, despite harbles PMTS rep here, he sure can fit boots.
post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all the advice here.

 

Just to follow up .....

 

I took the advice to buy close to our resort, so went to One Stop (found on the ABB list) in Steamboat.

 

Spent more than originally intended (in line with advice here not to start with a budget as the main criteria), ended up with Atomic Hawx 80's and custom insole.

 

Was glad I bought in Steamboat as one insole required a minor tweak during the week.

 

Was delighted with the comfort, fit and overall function of the boots. 

 

Had a great week in Steamboat followed by a great week in Breckenridge and by the end felt my skiing had improved beyond my previous abilities.

 

Happy days ......

post #12 of 12

Glad to hear you had a good trip, Irish skier. Hope you get several years of good service out of them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Where (and what) to buy boots in CO?