EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › MLK @ Sugar Mountain
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MLK @ Sugar Mountain

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Brabson and I decided to fight the holiday crowds and head up to the mountains Monday. It snowed all day Sunday and Monday. We were delighted to find that Sugar was charging regular weekday rates
Sugar served it up nicely. 24 degrees at the base all day long


Not typical holiday lift lines


Brabson on his brand new Monster 78s


Me on W80s


First day at 100% open with mostly mashed taters and some "eastern hardpack" under the freshies that fell all day

We really had a blast and a half. We'll do this again soon
post #2 of 11
Thanks for posting, crgildart. For all you bears who skipped the trip thinking the crowds would be terrible, you missed out on a great trip. Given this was a holiday, I was worried about how bad the lift lines might be, but they were nonexistent. We had great conditions due to the cold weather and snow heading into Monday, and the new 4" that fell while we were there made it that much better. A great trip - can't wait to do it again
post #3 of 11
Nice Sugar Stoke!

Thanks for sharin!
post #4 of 11
Man that looks great. I'm sorry now that I wasn't able to make it up there as planned.

CJ
post #5 of 11
Did you hit Whoopdedoo? It was the only run closed the time I Skied at Sugar.
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrash View Post
Did you hit Whoopdedoo? It was the only run closed the time I Skied at Sugar.
Yes, it was wide open. T-Tom and Boulderdash were actually tougher than WDD cause they were more icy and rutted up.
These photos were taken on Whoopdedoo:





Funny, didn't get any photos of turning left-stronger side..
A bit icy from folks slipping down it, but my edges held fine.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
Yes, it was wide open. T-Tom and Boulderdash were actually tougher than WDD cause they were more icy and rutted up.
These photos were taken on Whoopdedoo:





Funny, didn't get any photos of turning left-stronger side..
A bit icy from folks slipping down it, but my edges held fine.
Sorry about that - I was at the base of Whoopdedoo off to the right (looking up the run) taking the snaps so I could avoid folks coming down the run. I never got a good pick of the steeper sections, as this is where it flattens out a bit at the tail end, nor of you turning to your left. Oh, well, such is the nature of ski photography.
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabson View Post
Sorry about that - I was at the base of Whoopdedoo off to the right (looking up the run) taking the snaps so I could avoid folks coming down the run. I never got a good pick of the steeper sections, as this is where it flattens out a bit at the tail end, nor of you turning to your left. Oh, well, such is the nature of ski photography.
No worries! Those are great. I'll try to get some better ones of you next time
post #9 of 11
cool i think im heading that way sometime soon.
post #10 of 11
Awesome! The first time I ever skied was at sugar mtn. I remember thinking that it couldn't get any steeper than t-tom (tom terrific?). My mom wishes I had never gone, what a life changing experience it was!
post #11 of 11
Oh, to live on sugar mountain
With the barkers and the colored balloons,
You can't be twenty on sugar mountain
Though you're thinking that you're leaving there too soon,
You're leaving there too soon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › MLK @ Sugar Mountain