New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lateral alignment...

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hi,
I am a bit heavy on inside edges. What should I do to try solve that problem quickly using DIY method ?
post #2 of 18
Move your cuffs to the inside.
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Rosenfeld View Post
Move your cuffs to the inside.
I did, all way in, does't work, it is not enough to compensate. What about shims inside boots ? But don't know where (and how) to place them.
post #4 of 18
Would not try to correct inside the boot or with cuff. IMO, the cuff should be used to accommodate not correct. This means the cuff angle should ideally match the angle of your lower leg as it rises out of the boot.

I would loosen the screws on the binding and place small pieces of plastic (credit card strips) on one side of binding and screw back down. Note: you may need to find some slightly longer screws to get proper penetration into the ski if using multiple strips.

Of course you could experiment the old fashioned way by placing layers of duct tape on one side of binding. four layers of thicker mil duct tape equals about 1 degree. (tear the width of one strip of duct tape into equal quarters then layer them up to desired thickness) Careful not to overdue it, I would not go any thicker than 6 to 8 layers and only use to experiment, not as a permanent adjustment.

If you test works, find and expert and have your boots planed, plated, and returned to DIN specs.

good luck!
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
...
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud heishman View Post

I would loosen the screws on the binding and place small pieces of plastic (credit card strips) on one side of binding and screw back down. Note: you may need to find some slightly longer screws to get proper penetration into the ski if using multiple strips.

If you test works, find and expert and have your boots planed, plated, and returned to DIN specs.

good luck!
Thanks Bud One question more: there are 3mm plates glued and screwed to the sols of my boots ( race plates ), may I insert strips between those plates and sole on inside ? How that will affect binding work ?
post #7 of 18
Once you "test" out your needs with either shims under the bindings, (Bud's suggestion), or duct tape on the binding, you could change the cant on your plated boots by shimming between the boot sole and the lift plate. The top of the boot lug will have to be re-cut to accommodate the change in height from the shims to return the boot to DIN specs.

jim
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by starthaus View Post
Once you "test" out your needs with either shims under the bindings, (Bud's suggestion), or duct tape on the binding, you could change the cant on your plated boots by shimming between the boot sole and the lift plate. The top of the boot lug will have to be re-cut to accommodate the change in height from the shims to return the boot to DIN specs.

jim
OK, all is clear now, but re-cuting/planing lugs/soles job will be very difficult to obtain here in Europe. Inserting shims under bindings is not an option because I don't want to have skis fixed as left/right. Boot's modification is a bit risky, I suppose, and ruins their original geometry. Stalemate.
Thanks guys.
post #9 of 18
get checked for pronation and look for a distributor of SBS. Get your feet right and you can possibly fix the problem and not need to grind or mess with bindings.
post #10 of 18
Sounds to me as if original geometry is ruined. Why try to preserve what doesn't work? Sounds like trying to preserve the Lucas electric system in a British car because it is what the car came with. Who cares that the battery is dead and the lights look like fireflys.

Also what is the difficulty with Europe. This work is difficult to find here as well. That is why you have to write to us, but it exists and fitters that understand the process exist there as well. It is the home of racing after all.

Lou
post #11 of 18
Understand your wish to not have left and right skis. That is why boot work exists. You could easily do the experiments as Bud and Jim have described to at least determine if the techniques help. If they do you can decide what to do next.

Why not at least learn something. You can always reject the solution later.

What is the feeling that makes you say you are heavy on your inside edges?

Lou
post #12 of 18
MGskier,

where are you based, these services are available in the UK and europe!!
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Rosenfeld View Post
Understand your wish to not have left and right skis. That is why boot work exists. You could easily do the experiments as Bud and Jim have described to at least determine if the techniques help. If they do you can decide what to do next.

Why not at least learn something. You can always reject the solution later.

What is the feeling that makes you say you are heavy on your inside edges?

Lou


 

So, I am back home after skiing in Val Gardena ( was great, as usual  ). Lou, when skiing on one ski I steer to inside, I have to lean outside leg ( knee ) very deep in, to make the edge working effectively. I did what Bud advised ( Inserting pieces of credit card under bindings ) and have to say that situation improved, VERY ! No problem with washing out on ice, no problem with edging on steeps, skiing on one ski is now possible without balancing difficulties.

post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEM View Post
MGskier,

where are you based, these services are available in the UK and europe!!


 

Nothern Poland, and nearest service is yours, I think.

post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosh View Post
get checked for pronation and look for a distributor of SBS. Get your feet right and you can possibly fix the problem and not need to grind or mess with bindings.


 

SBS ? What it is ?

post #16 of 18

footworks chamonix, sanglard sports chamonix, H&N sports somewhere in Austia all have \ router set up, there will be a few more also.  if you find somewhere who deals with a lot of race boots then they SHOULD have a router

post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEM View Post

footworks chamonix, sanglard sports chamonix, H&N sports somewhere in Austia all have \ router set up, there will be a few more also.  if you find somewhere who deals with a lot of race boots then they SHOULD have a router


 

Thanks Col, what about Italy ? I ski mostly there.

post #18 of 18

not sure about italy, but when the europeans are back from the munich trade show they may be able to comment further

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ask the Boot Guys