New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ScotchBrite

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Where do you guys get your scotchbrite pads? I can't seem to find them.
post #2 of 28
Costco or any supermarket. Or you can buy them from a ski shop for 4x the price.
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
Costco or any supermarket. Or you can buy them from a ski shop for 4x the price.
Those are the extreme scotch brite pads. Very gnar.
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsandkings View Post
Where do you guys get your scotchbrite pads? I can't seem to find them.
The green coarse ones are all over.


The grey and white grades are a bit trickier.
post #5 of 28
Gotta know my man.

Down onna' corner, round about mid-night ....

Waitin' for my man ....

I, I'm waitin' for my man!
post #6 of 28
Any hardware store or Home Depot etc.
post #7 of 28
check hannaford, walmart, anywhere that sells kitchen supplies
post #8 of 28
If you live anywhere near a boatyard, try the stockroom as they are used by the paint and fiberglass depatments.
Good thing is that they are usually the large commercial sized ones which you can cut up and will last you years.
Most yards will have all of the various flavors. Grey, white green and burgandy.


Mike
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
The grey and white grades are a bit trickier.

Not that tricky.
Plus Medium (maroon)
post #10 of 28

what for?

What do you use the scotchbrite pad for?
post #11 of 28
I use them to smooth out the wax and take up excess between scraping and brushing. Sometimes I don't bother brushing.

Also good for scrubbing dishes.
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney24 View Post
What do you use the scotchbrite pad for?
Also good for removing base fuzz (hairies), clean scrapers and other tools. Running a pad lightly along edges to find burrs protects your fingers.
post #13 of 28
With most companies, there was an abrasion rating that was associated with the color.

White was pretty mild and black was agressive with a few colors in between ... red was rougher than green.

This is not always true but for just a quick buff after scraping the wax unless you get real frisky this shouldn't matter.
post #14 of 28
Following a grind or base flattening, maroon followed by white or grey will cut off the ptex fuzzies. If you're a geek, follow up w/ an omni-pad or base shaver (both available from tognar). If you're having trouble finding other than green, try a paint store.
post #15 of 28
I still use cork
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
I still use cork
So does David Bruce.

For floor tiles and trivets and things.
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsandkings View Post
Where do you guys get your scotchbrite pads? I can't seem to find them.
Look under your bridge Mr. Troll with the 18 posts, I'm sure some will come floating by...

I can't believe all you tuning geeks fell for this, especially Mr. Ublo.
post #18 of 28
Ya mean fibertex? Actually, i believe they are the same as 3m Scothbrite, just different product numbers!

http://www.swixsport.com/eway/defaul...6 118:3:::0:0
post #19 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking kaj View Post
Look under your bridge Mr. Troll with the 18 posts, I'm sure some will come floating by...

I can't believe all you tuning geeks fell for this, especially Mr. Ublo.

I guess I missed the part where it was explained that troll-dom was determined by post count.
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsandkings View Post
I guess I missed the part where it was explained that troll-dom was determined by post count.
Well the handle "foolsandkings" was not exactly confidence building either. I reviewed your 19 posts all of which seem to deal with tuning in some form or another, so you will have to excuse me. Apparently you are a tuning geek who skis Fischer.

So FandK, have you ever heard of Walmart, or were you looking for the gnar Scotchbrites?
post #21 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking kaj View Post
Well the handle "foolsandkings" was not exactly confidence building either. I reviewed your 19 posts all of which seem to deal with tuning in some form or another, so you will have to excuse me. Apparently you are a tuning geek who skis Fischer.

So FandK, have you ever heard of Walmart, or were you looking for the gnar Scotchbrites?
Yep, heard of WalMart and could not find them in either the grocery section or the hardware section. None at the local supermarket, either. None at Lowes. Checking the local paint store seems like a good idea, and I have no idea what "gnar" means.

Question for the general audience: Does this forum have an "ignore" function?
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsandkings View Post
Yep, heard of WalMart and could not find them in either the grocery section or the hardware section. None at the local supermarket, either. None at Lowes. Checking the local paint store seems like a good idea, and I have no idea what "gnar" means.

Question for the general audience: Does this forum have an "ignore" function?
Don't worry I didn't intend any offense. This just seems like a ridiculous question since just about every department or grocery store in the country stocks these. Dollar stores often have them too. They will be with the cleaning supplies, together with dishwashing detergents, cleansers and brillo pads. If you can't find them maybe your wife can, since my guess is that you don't shop for cleaning supplies all that often.

"Gnar" is short for gnarly and is a popular term amongst the youngsters these days. It originated with surfers in So Cal and migrated to skaters and snowboarders. (If this confuses you then don't go near prickly 's signature.)

Also, there are no differences in the colors for Scotchbrites. Lots of times they make mixed packs of different colors so the housewife can have a decorator choice.

Finally, for your benefit, from here on out I will implement my own "ignore" function.

Good luck with finding your pads!

Kaj
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking kaj View Post
Don't worry I didn't intend any offense. ... OFFENSIVE, USELESS POST
Kaj

Wow dude, lay off. You managed to even drag sexism into this insulting post, but hey, you have a high post # so it is OK to be a prick, right?

I've used enough of the large size (actually useful for tuning) scotchbrite/fibertex pads for various things to know that you're not going to find them at a store with the cleaning supplies. You might get lucky and find a couple at Lowe's or HD, but probably not. Try paint stores, Autobody stores, marinas and woodworking shops.
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking kaj View Post
Also, there are no differences in the colors for Scotchbrites. Lots of times they make mixed packs of different colors so the housewife can have a decorator choice.

Kaj

Negative, specific to 3M branded Scotchbrite the color denotes the abrasive qualities such as coarse, medium, fine, etc.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJB View Post
Negative, specific to 3M branded Scotchbrite the color denotes the abrasive qualities such as coarse, medium, fine, etc.
I know I said I wasn't going to post again, but here goes.

As far as regular 3M Scotch Brite branded products go, there are only two types a heavy duty and multipurpose:

http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/sc..._scouring.html

If you guys are talking about 3M industrial abrasives then you can go to this website and put in your zipcode to find your nearest location:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...to-Buy/Search/

Personally, I use the plain green ones which are available at Walmart in the cleaning section for touch ups of my bases, but then I'm not tuning for racing.

Also, the comment about the cleaning section was not intended to be sexist. The green ones are so easy to find you have to not be looking very hard.

Finally, for being so antagonistic, apparently I was the only person to find the website locator for industrial abrasives. From what I could tell, they look like sanding discs, but then I'm sure I don't know stuff from shinola.

Again, and this time I mean it, I'm through here.

Good luck finding those pads!
post #26 of 28
ACE hardware has a wide selection name brand and generic, and yes it is color coded, you can buy it in single sheets or packs.
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking kaj View Post
Finally, for being so antagonistic, apparently I was the only person to find the website locator for industrial abrasives.
Did we need to? I mean, beyond Alpinord's link?
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
Did we need to? I mean, beyond Alpinord's link?
Yes because I sell them too

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs