or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gore1/13

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
So I didn't post a GTG note until last night, so I was solo today. Got a few pics, but none of skiing.

Arrived at 8:30, temp was 17 and no wind. Pretty sweet for January in upstate NY, but that's about to change....First run up at about 8:45 on the gondola and almost nothing was open. Took a quick trip down Twister to get used to my new skis (Scott Punisher, 191cm). I'll post a review of the skis and some other new gear later. Twister was as expected. Decent snow, a bit of a yawner trail but wide open and nobody there so I let them run. Another quick trip up the gondola and CRAP....still no way to get to the summit. Sped down Showcase, another featureless blue under the quad chair. Snow was nice, but these trails don't thrill me. I tried getting some air off the snow piles around the lift towers to add some spice. Third run...FINALLY. The trails to the Straightbrook chair had opened up and I hit Uncas to get to the Straightbrook. Again, nobody around, but I rode up with a kid from Cleveland here on a tour (they were at Whiteface yesterday). I showed him Chatiemac (a twisty low end black diamond) to the Chatiemac Glades. Chatiemac was ok, the glades were pretty sweet.


Still some lines without tracks. I left the kid from Cleveland behind. He was a bit slow in the soft snow. I hit the Straightbrook Chair again and took the top of Hawkeye (scraped off, strange bumps, the worst trail conditions I hit all day). I cut under the chair over to the Rumor, Gore's signature double black diamond trail. The upper headwall is still not open because there's lots of rocks and stumps showing through. I would say the lower 3/4 of the Rumor is a solid single black, but without the headwall and with the conditions today, it was a hero trail. The lower part was a mix of man-made mank and fresh natural snow that added up to about 4" of eastern "powder". My new skis handled this condition great and the run was a blast. The snowmakers had left HUGE piles and they made for a snow-based terrain park that was a real hoot. One of the piles had an near-vertical down side that was at least 30'. Biggest unintentional huck I've ever done. Luckily the slope was steep at the bottom and the snow was soft, but I'm feeling that landing in my back right now.

After my run on the Rumor I decided to try the new Burnt Ridge area. I had to go via the Twister/Twister Glades route. Twister Glades was much more skied off than Chatiemac Glades and way too flat. I hit the Burnt Ridge quad (a detachable) and tried the "expert" trail, Sagamore. I can't figure how they're rating this trail a black diamond...it's flatter than most intermediate trails and way flatter than Big Emma (rated a green at Snowbird). They hadn't groomed it, but the snowmakers had too much water in the mix and the snow was an interesting mix of sweet crud on the edges and death cookies in the middle.

I decided to head back up to the summit. I skied Lies (another double black diamond that is really a low-end single black with today's conditions). It was nice and edgeable snow. Another run up to the top and I skied the Rumor again. Still hero snow and a real blast. Next run was on the Straightbrook Glades. Again the snow in the woods off the summit was pretty sweet.




I had to leave by 2:00 to get cell reception for a conference call, but I was ready to go anyway. It was snowing real hard when I left Sad that this was my first day out this year, but I've had som nagging injuries that kept me off the hill. Glad to be back!
post #2 of 8
Sounds sweet! Now I'm mad they couldn't get the glades or Rumor open during MLK weekend last year.

Oh, and I don't know if you're comparing the trail ratings to the Rockies, but the Lies (when ungroomed) and Rumor are definitely solid double black runs by Eastern standards. Both amazing runs.

Sweet TR!
post #3 of 8
Nice report.
post #4 of 8
Thanks for the report.

I am planning on skiing Gore with my son and Nephew this coming Saturday (MLK). Looks like is should be in pretty good shape although it is supposed to be a bit chilly out.
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
Thanks for the report.

I am planning on skiing Gore with my son and Nephew this coming Saturday (MLK). Looks like is should be in pretty good shape although it is supposed to be a bit chilly out.
I think the weather is going to scare a lot of people off. Temps are supposed to moderate throughout the day on Saturday and Sunday is looking pretty nice right now. Just be careful Saturday morning. My pass isn't good on holidays, so I doubt I'll be up...plus my son has hockey games in Buffalo.
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiking4 View Post
Sounds sweet! Now I'm mad they couldn't get the glades or Rumor open during MLK weekend last year.

Oh, and I don't know if you're comparing the trail ratings to the Rockies, but the Lies (when ungroomed) and Rumor are definitely solid double black runs by Eastern standards. Both amazing runs.

Sweet TR!
Last year, there was no snow on the ground at MLK weekend. The Christmas/New Year's meltdown was horrific. They did pretty well getting some skiable terrain with man-made, but Ma nature offered no help until February.

I did qualify my ratings with yesterday's conditions. No moguls and very forgiving snow make those trails skiable for mere mortals. When it's bulletproof and moguled, I won't ski Rumor. If you fall at the headwall, you're going to be seriously hurt when you finally stop. I make my comparisons to the Double Blacks at Stowe (1970's Stowe when you had to ski the waterfall at the top of the National - it's all fenced off now)
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohansson View Post
Last year, there was no snow on the ground at MLK weekend. The Christmas/New Year's meltdown was horrific. They did pretty well getting some skiable terrain with man-made, but Ma nature offered no help until February.

I did qualify my ratings with yesterday's conditions. No moguls and very forgiving snow make those trails skiable for mere mortals. When it's bulletproof and moguled, I won't ski Rumor. If you fall at the headwall, you're going to be seriously hurt when you finally stop. I make my comparisons to the Double Blacks at Stowe (1970's Stowe when you had to ski the waterfall at the top of the National - it's all fenced off now)
I didn't find the ADK's that bad during MLK last year [at Whiteface and Gore]. They both had thin cover on all natural runs but there was soft snow to be found at both mountains (yes, even Whiteface! It had snowed an inch or two every night of that weekend.)

And this is the first time I hear of this waterfall on National. Why did they rope it off?
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiking4 View Post
And this is the first time I hear of this waterfall on National. Why did they rope it off?
They actually built a woden fence to keep people from ducking something as lame as a rope. It couldn't hold snow. It was really a narrow 35-degree gully at the very top with a spring that gushes water until it gets really cold. Then it freezes blue similar to the photo I posted of Chatiemac glade above. I haven't skied at Stowe in more than 10 years, so I'm assuming it's still closed. They rerouted the entry to National about 150 vertical feet lower than it used to be to avoid this feature - the current trail map shows that they are still using the lower entry. I think the patrol finally convinced management that they couldn't get a toboggan in there if someone could actually self-arrest by hitting a tree on the edge of the "trail".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports