New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Knee sprain question

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I took a nice fall yesterday that twisted my left knee and banged up my wrist. I have gone through every self diagnosis that I can find and nothing suggests that it is anything more than a sprain that a few days rest should not cure, but i just want some other opinion.

Immediately after the accident, I got up, felt a little banged up, but nothing too concerning, put my skis on and skied down the hill. I felt a little unstable, but I just related that to just taking a nasty fall, so I took a few more runs. No discomfort on the chair lift. I noticed that I could ski as I normally did with no problem, but felt a sharp, momentary pain when I went to take a sharp, quick right turn (affected knee was outside ski with higher pressure, maybe 70-30, and added rotation). So I decided that it was too dangerous to ski, even though I could make my normal turns without pain or discomfort as long as I did not make any drastic changes in direction.

I walked to the lodge, and took off my equipment and examined my knee to see no signs that anything was wrong: no swelling or bruising. I can walk and use stairs without a limp or discomfort. It has been almost 24 hours since the accident and I still have not had any swelling or bruising. Likewise, I experience no pain unless I make a quick forceful movement. I still have full range of motion and have no pain extending my leg fully. The only thing that hurts is when I put pressure that causes the leg to be twisted so that my knee moves towards the opposite leg. Also, if I push rather forcefully on the outside of my knee, directly across from the bottom of my patella, I feel some pain, but still nothing piercing.

As of now I am thinking that I will give it a few days of rest and reevaluate before going to see a doctor. Any thoughts? Maybe a compression sleeve brace?
post #2 of 16
you should probably go to a doctor. My sprain turned out to be a fracture.
post #3 of 16

Not a doctor.

My thinking is "LCL" and doctor and rest.
post #4 of 16
Did I win? How you feeling?
post #5 of 16

Had a similar feeling once . . .

it turned out to be a completely ruptured ACL. I skied bumps all day the day after the injury, and nordic skied all day the day after that. I suspected the ACL was ruptured and knew I was taking a risk, but really just skied kind of mellow for a couple of days. Later, the orthopaedic surgeon read me the riot act, telling me I was incredibly lucky not to injure it further. Go see an OS if it feels unstable - don't take a chance.
post #6 of 16
An LCL sprain is extraordinarily rare, especially in skiing.

IMO this guy should let a few days pass by, ice, advil, then be assessed hands-on by someone.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdistefa View Post
let a few days pass by, ice, advil, then be assessed hands-on by someone.

Certainly.

I was mostly just bumping the thread off page 2
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
I took it fairly easy again today, and have noticed that I can bend it further inward before I notice any pain-don't know if this is good or bad, just an observation. I think the best way to describe it would be that it only hurts if I do something with the intention of making it hurt. I did some Wii Fit Yoga exercises to give myself an idea of any instabilities or weaknesses, and both legs are pretty much equal-again, I dont know if it is just that I am strong enough to compensate with other muscles. This week is midterm week so I figure I will just take a few days off and consider doing some studying and reevaluate towards the end of the week.
Idaho Guy, were your symptoms typical of an acl injury (swelling, pain behind the knee, etc)? I talked to some people in school today who have ruptured their acl, mcl, etc and they all described the experience as extremely painful and associated with swelling leading to a near inability to even hobble about.

Currently I am not doing any treatment other than keeping it in a compression sleeve throughout the school day. I have not taken any pain medications or applied any ice. Should I be applying ice even if there is no pain or swelling?
post #9 of 16
20% of ACL injuries have minimal swelling and pain. Don't fool yourself, and stop fishing for a diagnosis online. Go see a doc.

Someone should evaluate your medial/lateral stability, do some ACL manuveurs (Lachman, anterior drawer, and pivot-shift), assess your range of motion, joint line tenderness, and check for swelling (joint effusion).
post #10 of 16
i go for MRI tomorrow on a similar accident. The Winter Park ski patrol (they're great!!) told me that the fact i had a lot of pain and swelling was a good sign and that complete ACL tears often do not have pain after the immediate twisting moment.

So I'd have to agree with the folks who told you to go get it looked at.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgig View Post
Idaho Guy, were your symptoms typical of an acl injury (swelling, pain behind the knee, etc)? I talked to some people in school today who have ruptured their acl, mcl, etc and they all described the experience as extremely painful and associated with swelling leading to a near inability to even hobble about.
If the ACL tears completely with no colateral damage, there is nothing to tell the body that there's a problem and there'll be no swelling. In this case, the only synptom may be instability of the knee.
Usually, when we injure the ACL, there's other damage that goes along with it, meniscus, MCL, LCL, PCL, or all of them. Completely tearing just the ACL is not normal, but does happen quite frequently.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
A little update. Many of the little "lack of confidence" cautions have begun to wear off. Take steps at full speed, no extra caution with normal twisting movements, etc. Still, if I try to make it hurt, it hurts before my healthy knee, but not by much. Either way, I am going to let it go throughout the week and monitor any changes (obviously no skiing). The OS that I have seen in the past lives a few houses down and my brother is friendly with his son, so I figure that if I am still not feeling 100% confident by this upcoming weekend, I will give him a call and go over for a quick assessment.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-turn View Post
If the ACL tears completely with no colateral damage, there is nothing to tell the body that there's a problem and there'll be no swelling. In this case, the only synptom may be instability of the knee.
Usually, when we injure the ACL, there's other damage that goes along with it, meniscus, MCL, LCL, PCL, or all of them. Completely tearing just the ACL is not normal, but does happen quite frequently.
An ACL tear doesn't happen in isolation. It's always accompanied by a bone bruise (a result of the mechanism that tears the ACL), sometimes an avulsion fracture of the lateral tibia, and often a meniscal tear.

When the ACL tears it bleeds into the knee joint which along with the bone bruise triggers an inflammatory reaction. Hence why a lack of swelling is the exception .
post #14 of 16
Do we have a diagnosis or a cure?
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Sorry I have not posted a conclusion, I have been rather busy this past week.

I let it rest until last Sunday and as it was feeling better, I did some exercises (bosu ball, squats, roller blading) and was confident enough to try skiing on Monday which went well. This week I have skied Mon, Tues, Wed, and Fri and have not had any problems or concerns. I am not taking any extra safety measures other than wearing a compression sleeve knee brace for a little while, but I dont think it is really needed. I am skiing just as aggressively as before the accident. Today (fri), the grooming crew finished the mogul run which I completed without any discomfort or noticeable weakness.

So, everything seems healed, strong, and stable.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgig View Post
Sorry I have not posted a conclusion, I have been rather busy this past week.

I let it rest until last Sunday and as it was feeling better, I did some exercises (bosu ball, squats, roller blading) and was confident enough to try skiing on Monday which went well. This week I have skied Mon, Tues, Wed, and Fri and have not had any problems or concerns. I am not taking any extra safety measures other than wearing a compression sleeve knee brace for a little while, but I dont think it is really needed. I am skiing just as aggressively as before the accident. Today (fri), the grooming crew finished the mogul run which I completed without any discomfort or noticeable weakness.

So, everything seems healed, strong, and stable.
Even with good knee's, you cannot go wrong with a compression brace. It will help reduce fatigue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: