New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wrist/forearm strenghthening

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I'm not an experience skier at all, but I did spend a lot of time on EpicSki paying attention to what muscle groups I should try to "wake-up" a bit for the few weeks before I hit the mountain yesterday (Alpine Meadows in Lake Tahoe - amazing time)

One that I didn't see listed, but that got EXHAUSTED for me yesterday was my forearms. We did a decent amount of traversing to get around between runs and by the end of the day I was having a lot of trouble feeling like I was getting much push out of my poles.

There are a few really easy exercises to strengthen your forearms that might help with this:
  • Grab a small dumbell (5-8 lbs) and hold it on one end. Prop your elbow on a bench (so your forearm is parallel to the ground and your hand and the weight are hanging over the edge) and simply rotate the weight back and forth as far as you can 15 times slowly, 3 sets.
  • Fill a bucket with rice - plunge your hand deeply into the bucket. Make a fist and rotate your fist around in both directions. Additionally work on opening and closing your fist repeatedly.
Anyone else think forearms are important for skiing? Other good exercises?
post #2 of 19
Well there is the old wind up a string around a broom pole to lift a wieght, but I think the exercise that would help you most is skating.
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gill View Post
Anyone else think forearms are important for skiing? Other good exercises?
Pulling the goalie?
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Well there is the old wind up a string around a broom pole to lift a wieght, but I think the exercise that would help you most is skating.
Quoted for truth.
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
I think the exercise that would help you most is skating.
Haha, no question about that, but that exposed another weakness as well...hip flexers. I'll work on that.
post #6 of 19
Whenever possible I look at conserving energy vs. gaining fitness... work smarter, not harder, you know?

Take your ski pole, hold the strap open with one hand, take the other hand and reach up through the strap from underneath, now bring your hand down onto the grip so that the strap is between your palm and the strap... you can now push downward on the pole without needing any grip strength at all. Less time in the gym, more time on the hill... you can thank me later.
post #7 of 19
Forearms,the same answer as most of the rest of the body.
Cleans & Deadlifts.
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Well there is the old wind up a string around a broom pole to lift a wieght, but I think the exercise that would help you most is skating.
I used this exercize when I played hockey. It certainly helped the velocity of my wrist shot.

I don't pole to much, I find it easier to skate but I played hockey for 25 years. Skating on skis is very easy for me.
post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
Take your ski pole, hold the strap open with one hand, take the other hand and reach up through the strap from underneath, now bring your hand down onto the grip so that the strap is between your palm and the strap... you can now push downward on the pole without needing any grip strength at all. Less time in the gym, more time on the hill... you can thank me later.
This will save my butt while I learn to skate...I'm too impatient because I don't get much time out there, I can't bring myself to use any of it to learn to skate. Some time when I have a few consecutive days out I'll definitely do it. Thanks all
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gill View Post
This will save my butt while I learn to skate...I'm too impatient because I don't get much time out there, I can't bring myself to use any of it to learn to skate. Some time when I have a few consecutive days out I'll definitely do it. Thanks all
Learn to skate? Is that something that really takes all that much time?

Do you know how to herringbone up a hill?

Skating= herringbone with a glideout.
post #11 of 19
Poling along flats while skating or traversing is more triceps than wrist strength, so heavy benchpress, dips/weighted dips, push-ups will help a lot. Use your legs to propel yourself though (skating), they are much stronger than your arms, poling is just to assist with skating. If you just pole across flats your arms are going to be on fire no matter what.
post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post
Learn to skate? Is that something that really takes all that much time?

Do you know how to herringbone up a hill?

Skating= herringbone with a glideout.
Sorry - what is herringbone-ing?
post #13 of 19
Climbing up a hill with the skis in an open V, stepping them up one by one so that the tracks left on the hill look like a fish's backbone.

Here is an XC skier doing it:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do... rringbone+ski

It works much the same on alpine gear, except its easier (XC skis don't necessarily have edges to dig in with).
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Got it - thanks very much.

Sorry, this weekend was my 4th time ever on the slopes...I cobbled together clothes and rented gear, so I'm not quite up to EpicSki quality just yet. I appreciate your patience!
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdistefa View Post
Pulling the goalie?
Thats just wrong! LOL

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson47.htm

When in doubt. Use a hammer.
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gill View Post
Got it - thanks very much.

Sorry, this weekend was my 4th time ever on the slopes...I cobbled together clothes and rented gear, so I'm not quite up to EpicSki quality just yet.



When I started the herringbone and the sidestep up the hill were the very first thing one ever did. Before snowplows.
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdistefa View Post
Pulling the goalie?
Choaking the chicken?
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Choaking the chicken?
spanking the monkey?
post #19 of 19
Hmm, I got a suggestion that did wonder in my teenage years...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: