EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Little Cottonwood Canyon lodging
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Cottonwood Canyon lodging

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Myself and 2 buddies are going 2/1 thru 2/6. Primarily interested in Alta/Snowbird, I feel like we should be able to get lodging for roughly $100/person per night even staying near or at Alta/Snowbird. This website http://www.usskilodging.com/utah.htm is promising and has places at LCC and closer. Has anyone used this site? Deals are decent for places like hotel rooms (even at the Cliff Lodge) for 2 beds. But once you require 3 beds, things get complicated and more expensive. I could do a standard hotel room with one buddy for 5 nights, but not two. I've looked at VRBO but options in that area are limited.

It's still early in the morning and I'm going to make calls later today. Not knowing the LCC area my big question is if you're staying at the mouth of LCC and there's a storm, are roads blocked between there and Alta/Snowbird? I've heard of road blocks between Salt Lake City and the Cottonwood resorts but I don't know how far from Alta/Snowbird I can stay and guarrantee I won't have to deal with road closures.

Any advice you guys have is appreciated. I'm going cheap, but I need a little space and I don't want to risk staying in Salt Lake and being blocked out by a storm.
post #2 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_d View Post
This website http://www.usskilodging.com/utah.htm is promising and has places at LCC and closer. Has anyone used this site?
I see many dates on this site from several years ago. I wonder if the prices/availability reflect current information.
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_d View Post
Myself and 2 buddies are going 2/1 thru 2/6. Primarily interested in Alta/Snowbird, I feel like we should be able to get lodging for roughly $100/person per night even staying near or at Alta/Snowbird. This website http://www.usskilodging.com/utah.htm is promising and has places at LCC and closer. Has anyone used this site? Deals are decent for places like hotel rooms (even at the Cliff Lodge) for 2 beds. But once you require 3 beds, things get complicated and more expensive. I could do a standard hotel room with one buddy for 5 nights, but not two. I've looked at VRBO but options in that area are limited.

It's still early in the morning and I'm going to make calls later today. Not knowing the LCC area my big question is if you're staying at the mouth of LCC and there's a storm, are roads blocked between there and Alta/Snowbird? I've heard of road blocks between Salt Lake City and the Cottonwood resorts but I don't know how far from Alta/Snowbird I can stay and guarrantee I won't have to deal with road closures.

Any advice you guys have is appreciated. I'm going cheap, but I need a little space and I don't want to risk staying in Salt Lake and being blocked out by a storm.
Yes I use them all the time. The guy has been good for me and we've been dealing with him for about 12 years.
post #4 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI-3PO View Post
I see many dates on this site from several years ago. I wonder if the prices/availability reflect current information.
I noticed that too and will ask about that when I call.
post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct55 View Post
Yes I use them all the time. The guy has been good for me and we've been dealing with him for about 12 years.
Good to hear. Thanks.
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_d View Post
Not knowing the LCC area my big question is if you're staying at the mouth of LCC and there's a storm, are roads blocked between there and Alta/Snowbird? I've heard of road blocks between Salt Lake City and the Cottonwood resorts but I don't know how far from Alta/Snowbird I can stay and guarrantee I won't have to deal with road closures.
There's really nothing but residential housing around the mouth of the canyon, no motels. ( There are motels a few miles from the mouth of the canyon though. ) Yes the road up the canyon can close in the morning when they do avalanche control, but usually it opens early enough ( ie 8:30-ish ). But there are times it doesn't open until 10 or later. But on those days they're usually not opening up all of snowbird at 9:00 either because of avalanche control in the ski area too. So even when the road opens late, there's still lots of powder to track up at snowbird. Sometimes they don't open Road to Provo until 1PM, for example.

The only way to guarrantee that you don't have to deal with road closures is to stay at snowbird or alta. Or drive up the canyon at 5 AM before they start the avalanche control work.

Quote:
I'm going cheap, but I need a little space and I don't want to risk staying in Salt Lake and being blocked out by a storm.
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. It would be rare to be "blocked out by a storm", but the worst would be that you'd have to wait until 10AM to drive up the canyon. This has only happened to me a couple times in the last 3 years ( waiting until 8:30 is more typical and that's only after relatively big storms ), and if you do have to wait until 10AM, there's still TONS of powder to track up when the canyon opens.

If you did find yourself "blocked out by a storm" ( since I'm assuming you would have a pass at snowbird or alta ) you could just go over to Brighton or Solitude. The big cottonwood canyon closes much less often than the little cottonwood canyon does.
post #7 of 28
Thread Starter 
UPP, that is good info. Thanks.
post #8 of 28
btw Kevin has more lodging as I recall in BCC. Call for up to date info - the website design hasn't changed in like 10 years. But the prices generally havent either

We have been closed out of LCC and BCC before (last year in fact) - we went to Snowbasin that day instead. It happened another day that week and there was just a delay. You do get to ski before others if you stay up there unless they declare interlodge, which happens sometimes. BUt mostly it's closed for control work to clear the road. If you get up early enough you can beat them closing the gate. I think my buddies went up around 445 and stayed in the GMD lobby for a few hours
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct55 View Post
We have been closed out of LCC and BCC before (last year in fact) - we went to Snowbasin that day instead.
You probably just didn't wait long enough. I've never seen it close all day, and I skied up there 75+ days last year.
post #10 of 28
ya we waited until almost 930 and there was a huge line of cars so we left.
post #11 of 28
How about the dorms at the Alta Peruvian? Better yet, book a Nordic room (shared bath). It's a bit more than $100/night, but great meals are included!
post #12 of 28
You can easily fit 3 people into a room at the Extended Stay in Sandy for $50/day.
post #13 of 28
Ed,

My buddy and I booked a trip by calling the Snowbird main reservation line. We're staying at the Lodge. 5 nights with 4 day lift and r/t shuttle from the airport was $750pp. I thought that was a pretty good deal. Since you guys have 3 folks it might be a bit different, but probably worth a call.

GOod luck!
post #14 of 28
Thread Starter 
Do you know where at Snowbird you're staying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball View Post
Ed,

My buddy and I booked a trip by calling the Snowbird main reservation line. We're staying at the Lodge. 5 nights with 4 day lift and r/t shuttle from the airport was $750pp. I thought that was a pretty good deal. Since you guys have 3 folks it might be a bit different, but probably worth a call.

GOod luck!
post #15 of 28
We are staying at the "Lodge at Snowbird"

ACCOMMODATION TYPE: LAS Mtn View BR-2Q


Whatever that means... I think its a regular room with 2 queen beds and a little balcony with a mountain view. Our trip is Feb 6-11th.


Hope that helps!
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_d View Post
I've heard of road blocks between Salt Lake City and the Cottonwood resorts but I don't know how far from Alta/Snowbird I can stay and guarrantee I won't have to deal with road closures.

If you want to guarantee that you won't have to deal with road closures, you'll have to stay at the resort. This means $$$$

If you want to save a few bucks and stay off-resort, once you've settled outside the canyon it doesn't really matter how far away you are - the roads in SLC rarely if ever close due to snow, it's only the one road up each canyon that's subject to closures.

The way I've always approached it is to stay in town, save a bit of money, and take my chances. If the road to Alta/bird is closed I can try Sol/bright, or failing that, drive around to the PC area - the interstate highway to PC closes only very rarely.

In half a dozen trips I've never been shut out of the LCC or BCC. I have been stuck behind a slide on the way home on three occasions though.
post #17 of 28
ya and just to echo that that's always a good excuse to drive to Snowbasin - the road wasn't open
post #18 of 28
Thread Starter 
We pulled the trigger and reserved a place at the Canyon Racquet Club condos, at the mouth of Big Cottonwood. Less than 12 miles from Alta and less than 13 to Solitude.

Anyone stayed here? We're renting a 4x4 I think but I'm wondering how convenient the buses are at these condos. Im freakin psyched!

Thanks for the advice everyone.
post #19 of 28
looks like you're right on Wasatch Blvd - that's where the bus goes for Alta/Bird. BCC just up a few blocks too. Pretty close!

Link to a map

We're leavin 2/1 so I'll let you know how it is Different condo though I think but same area
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_d View Post
Canyon Racquet Club condos, at the mouth of Big Cottonwood.

Anyone stayed here? We're renting a 4x4 I think but I'm wondering how convenient the buses are at these condos.
I've stayed in that area, but not at that complex. Good choice. Most days, you will be able to drive right up the canyon and be at the hill in 30 minutes or less, no problem.

If the roads are "bad" they will turn on the "4x4 or chains required" sign. At that point, you can either drive up yourself, or take the bus. There's a big bus stop/parking lot at the base of each canyon - you will have no problem driving to the stop, as it's at a very low elevation. The busses are equipped with auto-deploying chains and have an excelent safety record. If you're not used to driving in snow, it's probably better to take the bus - 4WD will just provide a false sense of security.

Sometimes, there's so much snow that nothing is getting up the canyon, even the buses. Try the other canyon, or go to PC or Snowbasin.

One tip if you're driving: look at the bus schedule and arrange to be driving up the canyon ahead of the bus - being behind it can add ten minutes to the trip.

A final thought: since you haven't committed to LCC, do at least a day in BCC. The drive up the canyon alone is worth it.
post #21 of 28
Ed - sounds like a great location. My buddy and I are headed to Snowbird Feb 6th - 11th. Keep us posted on the conditions and we'll be looking forward to the trip report!
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball View Post
We are staying at the "Lodge at Snowbird"

ACCOMMODATION TYPE: LAS Mtn View BR-2Q
I think that maybe a large studio. Many of the rooms at the Lodge I've stayed in had kitchens. You may want to check. Most of the van drivers will stop at the Smiths, for groceries, on the way up. Way cheaper and better selection than General Grits.
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct55 View Post
ya we waited until almost 930 and there was a huge line of cars so we left.
LOL, sounds like you probably missed a really good powder day at snowbird. 9:30AM definitely isn't being "closed out" of the canyon.
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Sometimes, there's so much snow that nothing is getting up the canyon, even the buses.
I've NEVER seen that happen.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_d View Post
We're renting a 4x4 I think but I'm wondering how convenient the buses are at these condos. Im freakin psyched!
If you're going to have 4WD, id say just drive up the canyon. The bus is kind of a pain, and parking at Snowbird isn't NEARLY as bad as some people on this forum say it is. I rarely have to walk more than 20 yards from where I park to where I can put on my skis ( but I don't have to go to the ticket office either. Along those lines, buy your ticket in the valley, canyon sports sells them. There's a canyon sports probably only a couple miles or so from where you're staying. Some grocery stores sell them too, it will save you money and if you park in the right spots you can just ski to the lift instead of having to walk to the ticket office. )
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct55 View Post
ya and just to echo that that's always a good excuse to drive to Snowbasin - the road wasn't open
NO, just wait. Patience is a virtue and this holds true here. 9:30 is NOT to long to wait. On days like that even if the road was open, they're usually still doing avalanche control at the good stuff up at the bird anyway.
post #27 of 28
I had some of the best runs ever at Snowbasin that day. Wasatch Blvd was ridiculous and all I could think of was the tram line is going to be 20 mins or more.

But the upside is we finally got over there and it was tremendous. They had 17 while we were there, 36 in 18 hours. Chest deep all day!
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahPowderPig View Post
<i>Sometimes, there's so much snow that nothing is getting up the canyon, even the buses.</i>
I've NEVER seen that happen.
Truth be told, neither have I, at least in the morning.

But I've seen mid-day slides that close the road for several hours, and nothing goes up or comes down until they get the front-end loaders to clear it.

And if there's an interlodge alert, nobody is moving until it's lifted. I've never experienced one myself, but I know they happen time to time. From what you say, the roads almost always clear in time to get a decent day of skiing in - that's a useful data point that I'll keep in mind. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Little Cottonwood Canyon lodging