New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Volkl - Page 4

post #91 of 117
 I'd go with Klipsch!
Oh wait, what's this about again?
post #92 of 117
Overhere "netherlands" its still lots of atomic sold, but also elan, rossignol, salomon, nordica and yes even volkl and rare things like stockli and volant.

I've skied a lot of different brands, still the original volant powerkarves are easily my favorite followed by the Volkl P9 SL.

I have skied VOLKL P9 SL's for a couple of seasons and i loved them, stable, grippy, fast.
I am around 180-200lbs so no problem to flex them, but they were definitly a love hate ski.
do not sleep on them they will bite.... on the other hand if you stay awake they are great performers never letting you down.
However they went soft after 5 years and i had to binn them. 

So for this season i have got a couple of second hand Volkl Grizzlys, and i do not doubt them a second, they feel amazing solid. End of jan will be the proof of the pudding.

So do i like Volkl yes i do.
Are they expensive, yes they are.
Too Expensive? Nope
Everybodies taste, Nada.

Bottom line get some demos ski them and see if you are willing to cough up the dough for them or not.
post #93 of 117
Also a nice maker of beautifull skis http://www.boheme.fr/GB/eng.html real handwork, made by enthusiasts, but very expensive. Still want to demo a couple of those.
post #94 of 117
Ask a question like that, and you'll get a lot of different answers, most of them worthless. A lot of people are blindly loyal to one brand or another, regardless of whether they're junk or not. Who makes great quality skis? I have my own ideas, but like I said, so does everyone else. Let's just say that I used to ski Volkl back in the day, I don't anymore. But you would be wise to listen to people in the business, like Dawgcatching, Whiteroom, and SierraJim that know what they're talking about.
post #95 of 117
just some observations on Volkl based on quite a bit of experience in owning them.
1. I delammed the tip of the burgundy model explosiv when the ski was one season old. just barely out of 1 yr warrantee, and Volkl did nothing for me on it. And the ski has a propensity for that failure.
2. Having demoed the Gotama on firm snow, I have to say it sucked in those conditions. Sure, it's OK in powder, but what 105 isn't. My take is that the popularity (myth) of this model Volkl is totally a fashion, what's in and cool thing. Of course people owning that model have a vested interest in it getting a positive evaluation so that the myth lives on and they remain cool.  example: I was demoing. I took the ski for a fast run down the main run down the entire mountain. There is a big left turn mid way. You can take it at speed because the run before and after the turn is easy. You can enjoy taking the turn in the air and getting an airplane turn kind of thing going. I've done that  left turn a million times in a million different ways. But not until I did it on the Gotamas did I almost drift out of the turn and into the trees, edging and angulating for all I was worth. Now THAT'S a test. I had rock skis that performed better. absolute garbage. I went back to return the ski to the rep and he asked how I liked it: it sucked, no power in the tail, no edge hold, chattery and unstable; want more?  He wanted nothing but toget away from me to stop the tyrade in front of customrs. He suggested that maybe it was in poor tune. Yeah, right.
3) I won't even go into the country of origin thing that divides their line......

So a fan of the G-31 now pretty much dismisses the brand as all about fashion and marketing.
post #96 of 117
dav, which year gotamas were you on? And what length? 
post #97 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

2. Having demoed the Gotama on firm snow, I have to say it sucked in those conditions. Sure, it's OK in powder...

I know exactly what you mean.

I once tried to cut down the tallest tree in the forest with a herring.  Man, did it suck for that.  I mean, it was like totally useless.  I complained to the waiter that the herring was off, but he didn't want to hear it and tried to shut me up before the other customers heard my tirade.

Herring sucks.  Can't cut wood for shit. I'm never ordering herring again.
post #98 of 117
 Dav, I have to say that dismissing the whole brand is a little harsh. I've had the Mantra for the past 3 seasons and I keep going back to it (the latest ski I tried to kick it out of rotation was the Blizzard Argos). I've had many different brands of ski and IMHO, Volkl makes good skis. Sure there are models that are over-hyped, but there are a lot of skis that are very good.

Saying this, I do have a vested interest in the Gotama, since I've just bought last years model !
post #99 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post




I know exactly what you mean.

I once tried to cut down the tallest tree in the forest with a herring.  Man, did it suck for that.  I mean, it was like totally useless.  I complained to the waiter that the herring was off, but he didn't want to hear it and tried to shut me up before the other customers heard my tirade.

Herring sucks.  Can't cut wood for shit. I'm never ordering herring again.



 

Problem is, the mustard herring isn't good enough on crackers to excuse its poor taste in all other recipes.

At the time, every other ski I had made that corner with ease, and they were old and beat. true story.

there are just too many 105ish skis that can handle a wider range of conditions and snow than the Gotama.


edit: add comment
Walt, I was just perusing your profile for lumberjacking tips.  I cut down a lot of trees in my back area.
Seems you ski two pretty nice Volkls, and own four all tolled.
As a professional arguer, surely you can see you are disadvantaged by subjectivity on the issue.







Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle_sun View Post

 Dav, I have to say that dismissing the whole brand is a little harsh. I've had the Mantra for the past 3 seasons and I keep going back to it (the latest ski I tried to kick it out of rotation was the Blizzard Argos). I've had many different brands of ski and IMHO, Volkl makes good skis. Sure there are models that are over-hyped, but there are a lot of skis that are very good.

Saying this, I do have a vested interest in the Gotama, since I've just bought last years model !
 

If a company is prepared to sell me a cheap, fall-apart ski for big bucks, I'm not going to reward the deceit by buying anything from them, even a good ski like Mantra. And they took all the power out of the tail of the Mantra. I know it's just me, and I don't try to force anyones hand (wallet) but I attempt to form my world in any small way I can. There are other good companies out there with consistently high quality models, and a line not full of weak entries to trap the trusting customer.
Edited by davluri - 12/27/09 at 10:13pm
post #100 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

just some observations on Volkl based on quite a bit of experience in owning them.
1. I delammed the tip of the burgundy model explosiv when the ski was one season old. just barely out of 1 yr warrantee, and Volkl did nothing for me on it. And the ski has a propensity for that failure.
2. Having demoed the Gotama on firm snow, I have to say it sucked in those conditions. Sure, it's OK in powder, but what 105 isn't. My take is that the popularity (myth) of this model Volkl is totally a fashion, what's in and cool thing. Of course people owning that model have a vested interest in it getting a positive evaluation so that the myth lives on and they remain cool.  example: I was demoing. I took the ski for a fast run down the main run down the entire mountain. There is a big left turn mid way. You can take it at speed because the run before and after the turn is easy. You can enjoy taking the turn in the air and getting an airplane turn kind of thing going. I've done that  left turn a million times in a million different ways. But not until I did it on the Gotamas did I almost drift out of the turn and into the trees, edging and angulating for all I was worth. Now THAT'S a test. I had rock skis that performed better. absolute garbage. I went back to return the ski to the rep and he asked how I liked it: it sucked, no power in the tail, no edge hold, chattery and unstable; want more?  He wanted nothing but toget away from me to stop the tyrade in front of customrs. He suggested that maybe it was in poor tune. Yeah, right.
3) I won't even go into the country of origin thing that divides their line......

So a fan of the G-31 now pretty much dismisses the brand as all about fashion and marketing.

what size goats were you on? 

I always thought mine could hold a edge as long as it wasnt ice. Firm snow sure..Mine were 183 from your past post it seems you ski skis to small hence why the short squads you use work for you.

post #101 of 117
Volkl's...
Shouldn't have got me started...

The "Unlimited" series has only one thing going for it... Crazy edge grip. 
Otherwise, the AC50's suffer from tip dive, the AC30's can't handle soft snow, the Grizzlies are too harsh and the whole lot are "Dead" AKA lifeless.

The Tigershark's are retarded.
Power-switch? Are you kidding me? How about a ski that works well without flipping a switch around?

The Freeskiing range is okay... By okay I mean all the ski's are just "Okay".
Mantra's seem to have a mind of their own, if you put the Katana's on edge they will try to kill you and the Gotama's are "noodley" 

Now that that's off my chest can I say one word, Blizzard?
post #102 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post




what size goats were you on? 

I always thought mine could hold a edge as long as it wasnt ice. Firm snow sure..Mine were 183 from your past post it seems you ski skis to small hence why the short squads you use work for you.





 

Your photo is not of firm snow, man, give me a break. And is it the noodleness of the Gotama that makes you feel so insecure as to drag your trailing pole for balance?

And your Mantra about long skis is never-ending and seldom accurate. I wondered when you would turn that dull blade on me.

I'm not sure I follow your sentence, but it makes my point, if I'm not mistaken.
 
The 164 B-Squad, in beat to sh&^t condition skis the f%$k out of any 176 gotama the rep could provide. Probably a 194ish goat would hold an edge almost as well as a 164 Squad. I'll give you that much.

Are we connecting on this yet?
Edited by davluri - 12/27/09 at 10:17pm
post #103 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoggycow View Post

Volkl's...
Shouldn't have got me started...

The "Unlimited" series has only one thing going for it... Crazy edge grip. 
Otherwise, the AC50's suffer from tip dive, the AC30's can't handle soft snow, the Grizzlies are too harsh and the whole lot are "Dead" AKA lifeless.

The Tigershark's are retarded.
Power-switch? Are you kidding me? How about a ski that works well without flipping a switch around?

The Freeskiing range is okay... By okay I mean all the ski's are just "Okay".
Mantra's seem to have a mind of their own, if you put the Katana's on edge they will try to kill you and the Gotama's are "noodley" 

Now that that's off my chest can I say one word, Blizzard?

Dude, you gave a glowing review of the Grizzilies a year ago. 

I had (have) the Argos and I thought it was a good ski, but it sucked in the bumps and a bit unwieldy at times. You may love the Argos, because you may be faster, stronger, etc.; but that doesn't mean that I have to. I have zero brand loyalty and I'll ski what makes me happy. It just happens that lately it's been Volkl.

It's actually kind of funny to me that people care what other people are skiing. It's kind of like the Pocket Rocket. People loved making fun of it (esp the "hard core" guys), but there was a reason it was so popular. 
post #104 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post

dav, which year gotamas were you on? And what length? 

I am assuming that you could not have demoed the old gotamas at this time. The new rockered gotama doesn't come in 176 (the old conventional ski did). The new goats come in 194, the old ones stoped at 190. Again, what year skis were you on? And what length?

If this is you bitching about the fact that rockered skis don't have much edge engagement on hard pack then that would be a legit gripe, But this is a well worn path indeed and not really news.
post #105 of 117
OK, yes this is me bitchin again. It happens when they black out my midwk pass. I exagerate to vent and whine cause my body is sore and needs to ski to regain tone.

That said, I was on the gold model Gotama, 176; I would assume the reps had them in decent tune.

I'm not even close to objective on this. I'm looking at this (and other) skis as an example of what happens when a company is a leader in quantity of skis made and sold. would the leaders now be KT and Volkl. (I typed KY by mistake)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post




I am assuming that you could not have demoed the old gotamas at this time. The new rockered gotama doesn't come in 176 (the old conventional ski did). The new goats come in 194, the old ones stoped at 190. Again, what year skis were you on? And what length?

If this is you bitching about the fact that rockered skis don't have much edge engagement on hard pack then that would be a legit gripe, But this is a well worn path indeed and not really news.
 
post #106 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post




I know exactly what you mean.

I once tried to cut down the tallest tree in the forest with a herring.  Man, did it suck for that.  I mean, it was like totally useless.  I complained to the waiter that the herring was off, but he didn't want to hear it and tried to shut me up before the other customers heard my tirade.

Herring sucks.  Can't cut wood for shit. I'm never ordering herring again.



 

LMAO!!!! I just love that. Thanks
post #107 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post




Your photo is not of firm snow, man, give me a break. And is it the noodleness of the Gotama that
most of it omitted as not worth repeating. I was just messin' with ya', like havin' a beer after and busting you for something we did skiing. I had hoped it'd be funny.
post #108 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct55 View Post

Here's an observation on Volkls

I love em. I'm a big, strong skier and tend to muscle things a bit. My friend hates Volkls - can't get them to turn. He's smaller and lighter. Depends on your skiing style.

I like Mike's advice - demo and find out - that's how I found out I loved my Mantras. Sold em this year and got two pair of something else though

Another observation: like them or not they hold their value on the resale market! If the market is never wrong, then Volkl's are right, particularly Gotamas and Mantras.
X2
Great for skiers who tend to use some force.
Never broke one.
Other ski's I like are Dynastar and the way softer K2's.

Last year I bought the K2 Apache Xplorer which I love. This year I bought a set of Hellbender's which I have't used yet.
But I will buy Volkl also again in the future.

Demo ski! Then you'll know.

-Dirk
post #109 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

2. Having demoed the Gotama on firm snow, I have to say it sucked in those conditions. Sure, it's OK in powder, but what 105 isn't.

Having just skied my Kikus (hubby was on his Goats) on a day with a groomed midwest ice base and a thin coating of sugar, I'd say this is either pilot error or a bad tune. My Kikus handled this true ice like a hard core race ski. They merely need high edge angles, commitment to that edge, and high speeds. We both gotta say "they rock" on groomers.

post #110 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by volklgirl View Post




Having just skied my Kikus (hubby was on his Goats) on a day with a groomed midwest ice base and a thin coating of sugar, I'd say this is either pilot error or a bad tune. My Kikus handled this true ice like a hard core race ski. They merely need high edge angles, commitment to that edge, and high speeds. We both gotta say "they rock" on groomers.


what was it, groomed, ice, true ice, blue ice, or sugar, ice base, groomer????? do you always get double the opinion when married? hard core race ski??? your credibility is plummeting.
post #111 of 117
I gotta agree with VOLKLGIRL , my fully rockered 2010 gotamas carve hard snow loke you wouldn't believe. You DO have to put em on edge, but once there, they rip carved turns.  BTW they also work where they are supposed to, in soft snow.
post #112 of 117
Kiku? Gotama?
I'm confused. What is the difference? Kiku for women and Gotama for man is that it?
post #113 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by volklgirl View Post




Having just skied my Kikus (hubby was on his Goats) on a day with a groomed midwest ice base and a thin coating of sugar, I'd say this is either pilot error or a bad tune. My Kikus handled this true ice like a hard core race ski. They merely need high edge angles, commitment to that edge, and high speeds. We both gotta say "they rock" on groomers.


it could also be the binding.  IIRC you have the Duke on your Kiku's which will make a difference if davluri has a binding that is not stacked as high.
post #114 of 117
I've had many pairs of Volkl's and loved them all. However, I would never buy a ski without demoing it and it's a very personal thing. I'm now skiing on Nordica's and love them. The ski is worth the price if you like the ski. They definitely do have a good resale value as well. I think that Volkl makes a good ski and they stand behind their product. Just demo a few pairs of skis and then decide which you like. If you aren't ecstatic about a particular pair, then don't buy until you find the one you like.
post #115 of 117
A word about edge hold: In the real world (out west I guess) skis are not always going to have a race tune. They will be asked by the pilot to hold an edge by virtue of their flex characteristics, core and structure dampening properties, and sidecut design.

Having raced on teams in Europe and Far West (sorry I missed out on NASTAR) for many years, I know just a tad about edging. (Let's not be too condescending)

Manta and Gotama in the same phrase. I don't think so. They couldn't be more different.

If Gotama edged as well as a hard-core race ski (read: Volkl Race Tiger level), it would be a revolution, the total OSQ, but it just ain't so.

why am I repeating myself? just keepin' it real, IMO. And I'm blacked out and grumpyand still wondering what conditions you were actually skiing with hubby.
post #116 of 117
Demo AC30 and really liked it but I say my Dynaudio C2 makes better in terms of comparison.
I say Volkl is like BMW.
post #117 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirksuchy View Post

Kiku? Gotama?
I'm confused. What is the difference? Kiku for women and Gotama for man is that it?

Yes. Same dimensions and construction but the Kiku has balsam stringer for lighter weight and a bit of added softness. Both of ours are the 176.

Clarifying.....2009 model, NOT rockered!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion