EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › TR: Philly Bears... Elk 1/9 Demo Day
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TR: Philly Bears... Elk 1/9 Demo Day - Page 2

post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
Was indeed a great weekend! We had a blast demoing skis (why are this years girls skis SO ugly??) and playing in the fresh snow later in the weekend. Noofus and I were able to support Philpug's continued travel schedule , were able to get a friend back on skis after a long hiatus and his wife some proper lessons for the very first time. Only regret, not following the boys down the bumps - gotta learn sometime right??
Ehhh, I'm learning the bumps too. If you actually saw me go down the bumps, you'd understand. A few pointers and peer pressure go a long way....
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
Only regret, not following the boys down the bumps - gotta learn sometime right??
I did a double down. Went down Tunk and then went down pretty hard thanks to 2 major patches of glare ice ( that Phil swears were not present ). People riding the chairs were delighted to watch me crash and whooped it up quite a bit. You did the right thing staying off Tunk, conditions varied greatly. It'll be there when you go back.
post #33 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
Was indeed a great weekend! We had a blast demoing skis (why are this years girls skis SO ugly??) and playing in the fresh snow later in the weekend. Noofus and I were able to support Philpug's continued travel schedule , were able to get a friend back on skis after a long hiatus and his wife some proper lessons for the very first time. Only regret, not following the boys down the bumps - gotta learn sometime right??
It was great to se you folks again, I love how paths can cross from forum to forum. Noofus's skis are set aside, yours should be in tomorrow.


Don't listen to these guys, Tunk was great.
post #34 of 45
Yipee!! New skis I need a bit more than peer pressure - I need a shove over the side of the hill. Some snowboarders almost pushed me over the edge -- that would have been a fun learning experience. I was gonna take a run down Chipawa at the end of the day once it got some sizable mini-bumps, but I got suckered into coming into the lodge and warming up by the only other girl left in our possee at the end of the day.
post #35 of 45
Looking forward to taking the fresh skis out for a few turns on the local icy pimple (Blue Mt )

Bumps are next on my list to learn how to do - and what better place to do it than under the chairs on Tunk?
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by noofus View Post
Looking forward to taking the fresh skis out for a few turns on the local icy pimple (Blue Mt )

Bumps are next on my list to learn how to do - and what better place to do it than under the chairs on Tunk?
I was at Blue on Tuesday. The cold weather has helped them and conditions were similar to Elk last Friday. I can hear Phil throwing up.

Blue has a bump run down one side of mainstreet. If you stay on the trail side of the bumps, it's a good place to learn bump technique.

Enjoy the new skis.
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Proof View Post
I was at Blue on Tuesday. The cold weather has helped them and conditions were similar to Elk last Friday. I can hear Phil throwing up.

Blue has a bump run down one side of mainstreet. If you stay on the trail side of the bumps, it's a good place to learn bump technique.

Enjoy the new skis.

Every now and then I get adventerous and head into the bump field there. Usually just trying a few before bailing to the left, collect myself, and try again. I'll get it eventually.

The new IM78s should help
post #38 of 45
I'm game for a gathering at Blue in a few weeks. I'm willing to give it another try if in good company. It has good terrain, just consistently marginal snow even by PA standards. I'll be out of town this weekend, but perhaps later in the month.

I'm not saying Tunk was bad. There definately was ice, but I can't think of a time in the Poconos when I haven't skied bumps with ice. It was a good experience and I'm not whining. Much.
post #39 of 45
Blue is the closest place for us, so we have season passes. Gives us the 'fix' we need

We are there almost every weekend (unless we feel like driving farther and paying for a lift ticket), so if you want to meet up sometime just PM me and we can arrange.
post #40 of 45
Thread Starter 
I expect "gear reviews" from both of you soon .
post #41 of 45
Wouldnt dream of not sharing
post #42 of 45
So if the Blue Mountain crew is interested in a mini gathering this Saturday, myself, the Mrs. and the lurker who doesn't post yet are deciding where to go. If ya'll are interested give me a shout. Right now we are debating Blue vs Jack Frost. Any other PA-ish crew are welcome too.
post #43 of 45
Oh no!! We are booked this weekend. Our sword teacher is in from California and our attendance is "required" (as in we dont want to see what happens if we say - we cant come sorry its prime skiing time) We are planning on doing our regular Blue run tomorrow afternoon - but are going to have to play hookie for the rest of the weekend. I'll take a rain check though!!
post #44 of 45
Thread Starter 
Sorry, cannot make it, will be flying home from JH. You are also welcome to start a new GTG thread for events you are planning.
post #45 of 45
I wanted to gauge interested from the previously declared Blue Mt skiers first. Once I figure out where we are going, I'll put up a GTG thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › TR: Philly Bears... Elk 1/9 Demo Day