EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Christmas week, Crowds, and #@$% Mid Mountain Restaurant,PCMR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Christmas week, Crowds, and #@$% Mid Mountain Restaurant,PCMR

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Here's a Rant- great day otherwise...
I posted this here instead of in Resorts because I want everyone to see this. Move it if you wish.. But today I waited in line for at least a 1/2 hour at the Mid Mountain restaurant at PCMR to be told, at checkout, with my four overpriced burgers, four drinks, etc. THEY DO NOT ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS OF ANY KIND.
I know that it's Christmas week, and the lines are brutal everywhere, but their new layout is a nightmare of inefficiency. I went with my wife and kids, who were hungry (believe me, I would have blown off the line if I was alone or with the guys I usually ski with...) it was unbelievable- no signs, no warning, just cash only when you finally got through this ridiculous ordeal. Mid mountain is not owned by PCMR but is an independent contractor. We went to Summit House instead, which is run by PCMR, where my kids got great burgers relatively quickly, and pronounced them "The best burgers ever"...

But you know what? Except for the restaurants, the actual hill wasn't horribly crowded, except in a few bottlenecks. As much as I hate to see the new Crescent lift drop right on top of my old powder stash, it does take the pressure off the base, spread people out and open up a lot of overlooked terrain.

I hope everyone survives this week- Happy New Year and happy skiing!
post #2 of 16
Ever hear of a backpack with sandwiches, snacks and goodies?
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Ever hear of a backpack with sandwiches, snacks and goodies?
I like taking up food when I go to my local area that asccomdates that. Taking up and dumping a pack in the snow for later consumption is a viable option if I now the terrain and they have a picnic acceptable building. But skiing around with a sack of sh#t on you back all day hain't my cup a tea, especially if you got the tribe with ya. I have gotten t where I don't even like small fanny packs of any kind.

Light is right.
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crab View Post
Here's a Rant- great day otherwise...
I posted this here instead of in Resorts because I want everyone to see this. Move it if you wish.. But today I waited in line for at least a 1/2 hour at the Mid Mountain restaurant at PCMR to be told, at checkout, with my four overpriced burgers, four drinks, etc. THEY DO NOT ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS OF ANY KIND.
I know that it's Christmas week, and the lines are brutal everywhere, but their new layout is a nightmare of inefficiency. I went with my wife and kids, who were hungry (believe me, I would have blown off the line if I was alone or with the guys I usually ski with...) it was unbelievable- no signs, no warning, just cash only when you finally got through this ridiculous ordeal. Mid mountain is not owned by PCMR but is an independent contractor. We went to Summit House instead, which is run by PCMR, where my kids got great burgers relatively quickly, and pronounced them "The best burgers ever"...

But you know what? Except for the restaurants, the actual hill wasn't horribly crowded, except in a few bottlenecks. As much as I hate to see the new Crescent lift drop right on top of my old powder stash, it does take the pressure off the base, spread people out and open up a lot of overlooked terrain.

I hope everyone survives this week- Happy New Year and happy skiing!
So did you just leave 4 burgers and drinks and leave? That must have been worth about $30-40, was someone right there to take that off your hands. I can't believe they can run a restaurant at a major destination place where people are going to be taking families and have cash to pay for things. What would you have to have on you for a family of 4 or 5 to do this with say lifts and lunch, $600-800 cash, sorry I don't carry that much, I'm lucky if I'll have that much available on a credit card. At least you have some good snow to ski on out there.
post #5 of 16
There's plenty of places to stash a pack if you aren't up to skiing with it. Most resorts have restaurants with plenty of places to put packs and tables to eat on. Even at Two Elks at Vail, I've packed snacks and food for the family. Plenty of free water there too.

12 dollar hamburgers, 3 dollar drinks and 3 dollar cookies don't get it with me. I'm not poor but refuse to dump that kind of money just to fill my gut.

Nope, I'll ski with a pack anyday.
post #6 of 16
If I ski by myself, I carry lunch and a water with me. But I remember when my son was little and Dad was the designated pack animal.

Carrying lunch and drinks for four? That's a bit much. Not to mention another organizational detail to keep slow you down getting out the door in the morning.

I don't mind too much overpaying for good food. Overpaying for bad food does tick me off. When we were at PCMR a few years ago I remember the food at one cafeteria being particularly bad -- don't recall if it was the one you are refering to.
post #7 of 16
Mr. Crab...I know mid mtn was privately run in years past but I had heard that PCMR took over this season. Are you sure they weren't having communications problems with their credit card machines. I was bummed when I heard that because they used to have the best food on the mountain.(different from all their other restaurants) I know they remodeled, but haven't been in yet this season.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Don't bother, and it ain't PCMR run- PCMR takes all cards and scans your season pass for a discount. Mid Mountain's good for a pee break on the way to McConkeys- they didn''t even have chile, that old standby in-and-out- quick staple. The bring your own ain't that far off- a few energy bars and some apples can fix up a kid quick...


I left 4 drinks at the counter- after waiting a half hour in line, the wife and I split up- she waited in line for burgers, I was taking drinks out to the kids on the deck-that's when I got the news. After all, this is supposed to be a world class destination resort.

Thing was, except for being a little ravenous, the kids had an absolute blast. The temp was warm, the snow perfect and well groomed, and the sun out, spectacular blue bird day- with a few snow showers thrown in.
post #9 of 16
I always like to show Mid-Mountain to people from out East, as it's a classic Vermont/NH style building. But to be honest, I never liked teh food there, very stodgey, over-salted over-cooked. Summit House and the big place at the bottom did excellent hamburgers, and at the place down the bottom you could raid the salad bar for condiments for your burger (jalapenos, raw onions.... and beetroot!) on the way to the checkout.

You have to wonder about how people who run these places make their decisions. When food prices are so high, to not have plastic facilities is asinine. They will be copping a lot of grief for this over the season, guaranteed.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
I
Carrying lunch and drinks for four? That's a bit much. Not to mention another organizational detail to keep slow you down getting out the door in the morning.
.
I agree dealing with finding a place to stash the lunch, hauling additional crap for multiple people, dealing with the logistics of it all is just a big hit on the day when you got kids (ensuring you are near your stashed pack for lunch) . There is some worth to skiing and not even thinking about lunch until you get hungry and then just dropping in to some place and eating. My daughter and I do use a bit of strategery. We either try to eat late or early to avoid the frenzy and we usually split the lunch. A couple weeks back at SkeyStoned we got an early start and then popped into the base about 10:50 for lunch. Nobody in the bugger joint by the Gondola. We Split a burrito and a Coke. Got out of there for about $15 for both of us. People were rolling in as we left.
post #11 of 16
How bout a locker (if you can get one)?
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuhl View Post
A couple weeks back at SkeyStoned ... Nobody in the bugger joint
Good heavans! Colorado has got more liberal, evidently. Such things are still illegal in Utah though.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
How bout a locker (if you can get one)?
Murphey's Law says you will be at the wrong part of the mountain at lunchtime and have to buy anyway.

Actually, at big places you often want to stay away from the main lodge because that is the biggest traffic jam. So you'd have to carry the stuff to another (e.g. midmountain) lodge and stash it at the beginning of the day anyway.

If it is too big to carry, I'm probably not going to bring it at all. The only thing I put in a locker is shoes and clothes to wear on the drive home.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crab View Post
Don't bother, and it ain't PCMR run- PCMR takes all cards and scans your season pass for a discount. Mid Mountain's good for a pee break on the way to McConkeys- they didn''t even have chile, that old standby in-and-out- quick staple. The bring your own ain't that far off- a few energy bars and some apples can fix up a kid quick...


I left 4 drinks at the counter- after waiting a half hour in line, the wife and I split up- she waited in line for burgers, I was taking drinks out to the kids on the deck-that's when I got the news. After all, this is supposed to be a world class destination resort.

Thing was, except for being a little ravenous, the kids had an absolute blast. The temp was warm, the snow perfect and well groomed, and the sun out, spectacular blue bird day- with a few snow showers thrown in.

+++1, head to McConks....just a tad down the mountain from the mid-mountain mess. It is definitely hit/miss at that location. For a main area where people are, you would think that place would be better run...but it sometimes a zoo and the food ain't so good there at the mid mountain.

It is a good place to take a leak and a break for a few minutes, that is about it.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuhl View Post
Nobody in the bugger joint by the Gondola.
I swear I wasn't there!!!
(I wish I were)
post #16 of 16
Anyone ever had your lunch taken from you spot? I've never done it, but sounds like a great idea given it's still there after 3 hours of skiing. :-)

I'd be pretty upset if it was gone.......

I DO know what you mean in waiting..... New Years w/e at Alpine Meadows was ridiculous at mid mountain place. line out the door and 30+ minutes before I got anything other than a few dixie cups of water..... Food was good, and I was happy after my belly got filled.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Christmas week, Crowds, and #@$% Mid Mountain Restaurant,PCMR