EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › Help me plan my solo voyage up north
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me plan my solo voyage up north

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hey Bears,

I am planning a solo ski vacation from Jan. 3-11. My tentative schedule is as follows: Jan. 3 Gore, Jan. 4 Whiteface, Jan. 5 Mont Sainte Anne, Jan. 6 Le Massif, Jan. 7 Le Massif, Jan 8 Sugarloaf, Jan. 9 Sunday River, Jan. 10 Jay Peak, Jan. 11 Stowe. My tenative drive schedule can be found here: google maps

I am open to any suggestions. I DESPERATELY need recommendations for cheap lodging. I'm thinking that I will drive up the night before and sleep in my jeep before Gore. So I will need lodging info for Whiteface, Quebec, Sugarloaf, Sunday River, Jay, and Stowe.

If anyone has any suggestions on different drive routes or changing my schedule around for a more conducive route please let me know. Also if anyone is available to make some turns during my trip that would be great (I am a 25 year old level 8 male). This will be my first solo vacation so I'm sure I may get bored at some point but I'm hoping there will be some nice lady friends that I meet

Thanks again Bears!
post #2 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hey Mods, should this be in the general skiing discussion?
post #3 of 14
I think Ill be at stowe the last day you are there, gladly meet up i have some leads on who to show us around.
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
I think Ill be at stowe the last day you are there, gladly meet up i have some leads on who to show us around.
Sounds good BWPA. I will pm you my cell.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Would also like to add that any info on discounted tix would be greatly appreciated as well, thanks bears!
post #6 of 14
Sounds like a really nice ski safari you have planned there. For lodging, and since you are doing a lot of driving anyway, think about staying in regular towns and cities, not necessarily right at the ski areas to save some bucks.

I would also keep an eye on the weather and keep the plan a bit loose... Gore and Whiteface may be kind of rough conditions wise on 1/3 and 1/4 unless they get significant snow before then.

I like all the areas you have listed, but would think about adding Saddleback in and taking SR out. That would give you 2 days in the same part of Maine, but make it a much longer drive over to VT.

We did a similar trip 2 season back, starting at Saddleback and Sugarloaf then Ste Anne then Jay Peak then home.

Have also done the west to east route from Gore to Whiteface, to Jay, down to Okemo then home.

There is a cheap place to stay in Troy, VT close to Jay and easy drive to Stowe. But there is also Grandpa Grunts in Montgomery Center. (never stayed there but I hear it's cheap.) We stayed at a cheap motel in Rangely ME which is 10 minutes from Saddleback and about 50 minutes to Sugarloaf.

Weater forecasters are calling for some snow over the next few weeks and you may be skiing deep powder by the time you end up in northern VT!
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
Sounds like a really nice ski safari you have planned there. For lodging, and since you are doing a lot of driving anyway, think about staying in regular towns and cities, not necessarily right at the ski areas to save some bucks.

I would also keep an eye on the weather and keep the plan a bit loose... Gore and Whiteface may be kind of rough conditions wise on 1/3 and 1/4 unless they get significant snow before then.

I like all the areas you have listed, but would think about adding Saddleback in and taking SR out. That would give you 2 days in the same part of Maine, but make it a much longer drive over to VT.

We did a similar trip 2 season back, starting at Saddleback and Sugarloaf then Ste Anne then Jay Peak then home.

Have also done the west to east route from Gore to Whiteface, to Jay, down to Okemo then home.

There is a cheap place to stay in Troy, VT close to Jay and easy drive to Stowe. But there is also Grandpa Grunts in Montgomery Center. (never stayed there but I hear it's cheap.) We stayed at a cheap motel in Rangely ME which is 10 minutes from Saddleback and about 50 minutes to Sugarloaf.

Weater forecasters are calling for some snow over the next few weeks and you may be skiing deep powder by the time you end up in northern VT!
Thanks for the tips Crank, I really appreciate it. I did alter the trip a little bit. I had been thinking about taking out SR and I did. I have anticipated skiing Sugarloaf for a while now, so I think I am going to ski two days there and cut out Sunday River.

I love the idea of staying near the highways and saving some on lodging. I will certainly look into that, as well as staying in Troy when I head over there from ME.

Thanks again!
post #8 of 14
Way too much travel time for my tastes. If somewhere is worth skiing at all, it is worth skiing two days. Changing locales every single day (well, but one) will get tedious.
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
Way too much travel time for my tastes. If somewhere is worth skiing at all, it is worth skiing two days. Changing locales every single day (well, but one) will get tedious.
I don't plan on doing this too much. You are only 25 once, right? I'm kinda going overboard as a present to myself after my first semester of law school. I don't know how much skiing I will get in next semester so I need to squeeze it in now.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Don't all answer at once now...
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzboy283 View Post
Don't all answer at once now...
I'm still puzzling over what it means to be a level 8 male...

One possibility near Whiteface is the bunk room at the Adirondak Loj (yes, that's how it's spelled). Looks like it's currently $49 a night. Do bring a flashlight like they recommend. It's about a 20-25 minute drive to Whiteface from the Loj.

http://www.adk.org/ad_loj/

This page has some cheap places listed for some of your other destinations:

http://www.huckzone.com/skihostels.php

(I don't read huckzone or really know what it's about. I just found that page some time ago and bookmarked it. The only place on that list I've stayed at is the Turn of River Lodge.)
post #12 of 14
Definately keep an eye on the weather channels and be flexible with where you go. One area's rain can be another's powder.

I would check out Ebay for lift ticket coupons and deals. You can get lucky sometimes.
post #13 of 14
post #14 of 14
This sounds like a great trip. It isn't often that you have a skier planning out a nice long east coast trip.

Can't help you with much other than the Sugarloaf and all I have to say about that is call the 'loaf and ask for a ski and stay. A day of skiing and a night of lodging should run about $120. Maybe less?? Possibly ski/ski out. Stratton I am sure has some cheap lodging....I would think $50 a night.

I am a little over an hour south of Sugarloaf. I've got a couch. See your pm.

Sounds like a great trip.

Cool.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › Help me plan my solo voyage up north