EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Difficulty of ridgetop trail connecting Alta to Snowbird
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Difficulty of ridgetop trail connecting Alta to Snowbird

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I've skied Alta several times but have never made it over to Snowbird. I am headed to Altabird in Feb. and I'm curious about the difficulty of the ridgetop trail connecting Alta to Snowbird. I'd be very comfortable skiing single blacks. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be dropping into a cliffy almost vertical trail to get there. Any insight comparing it to an Alta (or even Park City) trail or bowl is greatly appreciated.
post #2 of 14
Niether is cliffy or super steep. If you really want to play it safe you can always hit the Mineral Basin access off the EBT.
post #3 of 14
If you're talking about the access from off the Wildcat lift, it's about the same as skiing down the Wildcat chutes (say if you were returning to the condos or the Peruvian). Definitely black, but definitely doable.

The Mineral basin crossover can be done by a green level skier, though once you get out of Mineral Basin onto the main Snowbird side, it's solid blue/black skiing to get down to the Snowbird base.
post #4 of 14
The real question is why you'd need it... there should be plenty of terrain at either area for a day's worth of skiing, and that dual-resort ticket isn't cheap. I'm planning on going to Alta on day one, then bird on two and pick on each individual day separately.
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
If you're talking about the access from off the Wildcat lift, it's about the same as skiing down the Wildcat chutes (say if you were returning to the condos or the Peruvian). Definitely black, but definitely doable.

The Mineral basin crossover can be done by a green level skier, though once you get out of Mineral Basin onto the main Snowbird side, it's solid blue/black skiing to get down to the Snowbird base.
the best way to get a timid skier from alta to snowbird while skiing is to take the tram DOWN. an option most people would never even think about.
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
the best way to get a timid skier from alta to snowbird while skiing is to take the tram DOWN. an option most people would never even think about.
Excellent suggestion. Never even crossed my mind
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post

If you're talking about the access from off the Wildcat lift, it's about the same as skiing down the Wildcat chutes (say if you were returning to the condos or the Peruvian). Definitely black, but definitely doable.

The Mineral basin crossover can be done by a green level skier, though once you get out of Mineral Basin onto the main Snowbird side, it's solid blue/black skiing to get down to the Snowbird base.

 

I too am wondering about the best way (and fastest from the Collins base area) to connect FROM Alta TO Snowbird.  The Alta trail map shows a number of connection points.  In the past, I've only made the connection from the top of the Sugarloaf lift into Mineral Basin.  Along the Wildcat ridge, it appears there are three other options (Keyhole, Commadore, and Westward Ho).  It looks as if the Keyhole and Commadore connections lead right into typical double diamond Snowbird terrain, which I would prefer to avoid.  So that leaves the Westward Ho connection.  How easy it to get to this connection (on the Alta side) and is it more trouble than it is worth?

post #8 of 14
The Ho is a fairly easy expert run, that often has the best snow on the hill. Not much traffic over there except too the Peruvian or the Bird.
Keyhole is a better/harder run, when it's open.
post #9 of 14

I would think "ridgetop trail connection" would be talking about hiking up Baldy from Snowbird and skiing into Alta.

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

The Ho is a fairly easy expert run, that often has the best snow on the hill. 

 

Good info, thanks.  I may be staying at one of the Alta lodges and Westward Ho may be the route which makes the most sense to get to the Snowbird side as soon as possible.  Keyhole sounds a bit much for my taste/skill.

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofcaudio View Post
 

 

Good info, thanks.  I may be staying at one of the Alta lodges and Westward Ho may be the route which makes the most sense to get to the Snowbird side as soon as possible.  Keyhole sounds a bit much for my taste/skill.

 

If I were you, I'd just take the connection between alta/bird at mineral basin, at the top of Sugarloaf, and start your day off there.  It softens up first since it gets morning sun and has incredible views toward Timpanogas.  Once the BME lift line starts to get long you can head into gad or peruvian.  Get back the same way.  You can also get back with a short hike up baldy and traverse over, but it's not an area I suggest people go without someone who knows the terrain, and isn't always open.  This is basically my routine, regardless of whether I start at Alta or the bird, hit mineral till it starts to get a line, then go check out wherever else I wanted to go.

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbly View Post
 

 

If I were you, I'd just take the connection between alta/bird at mineral basin, at the top of Sugarloaf, and start your day off there.

 

This was great advice and exactly what I did.  I was in the lift line at Collins at 9:10 and making my way down Mineral Basin a little after 9:30.  I spent almost two hours there before moving to the Little Cloud area.  Mark Malu was in great shape and had the softest snow on the frontside.  I ended up lapping Little Cloud quite a bit as it definitely offered the best bang for the buck.

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofcaudio View Post
 

 

This was great advice and exactly what I did.  I was in the lift line at Collins at 9:10 and making my way down Mineral Basin a little after 9:30.  I spent almost two hours there before moving to the Little Cloud area.  Mark Malu was in great shape and had the softest snow on the frontside.  I ended up lapping Little Cloud quite a bit as it definitely offered the best bang for the buck.

 

Glad to hear you had a great time!  The area below road to provo to mark malu and back to little-cloud is a real treat when it stays this cold.

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post

If you're talking about the access from off the Wildcat lift, it's about the same as skiing down the Wildcat chutes (say if you were returning to the condos or the Peruvian). Definitely black, but definitely doable.

The Mineral basin crossover can be done by a green level skier, though once you get out of Mineral Basin onto the main Snowbird side, it's solid blue/black skiing to get down to the Snowbird base.

Chip's from the Snowbird summit to the base is a reasonable blue. I did it completely blind--40 below and foggy and my gogles completely iced over getting off the tram. I slowly made my way down Chip's, turning when I felt my skis go off the groomed. 3000 feet of that, which I wouldn't care to repeat.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Difficulty of ridgetop trail connecting Alta to Snowbird