New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ski Jacket Help

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
So I finally trashed my current jacket enough that it could not be duck taped back together and I need to get a new one. I'm not really savvy when it comes to newer ski gear and would appreciate any suggestions. I'm looking for a jacket that has/is :
1) A Shell (NOT an insulated jacket)
2) Wind and water proof
3) Lots of pockets, both inside and out. The pulls for the zippers need to be big enough so I can open them with gloves on. I don't consider 5 pockets a lot. I work at a local ski mountain and need to carry a bunch of gear on me at any given time.
4) Powder skirt
5) Cinchable waist
6) Removable hood that can cinch down over my head and also Velcro's under the chin
7) Collar that has some soft fabric in it so I don't get an itchy chin/neck
8) Arm Vents, chest vents, the more vents the better.

I've looked at the SeV Quantum Jacket but I'd rather not have to wait for it to be delivered. I'm also not sure if it would even work as a ski jacket.

Thanks in advance for any input. Cheers.
post #2 of 29
Most people on here seem to like the layering approach. Some of your better brands are Marmot, Arc-teryx, Mountain Hard Wear, Patgonia, North Face, etc.. Your almost going to have to hit up some local shops and try stuff on. You seem to have a quite a list of wants/needs out of your gear.

I'm sure some shop guys on here will point you in a more direct direction. You may want to also add what price range your looking at as gear can be affordable to WTF pricing.


P.S.: If you have a TJ MAXX in your area you might want to hit it up and see what they got. You'd be surprised what brands they get in for jackets. I've seen just about every major brand. Though usually they get picked through quite quickly.
post #3 of 29
Arc'teryx Sidewinder AR has most of the things you are wanting. I love mine for skiing.

Mike
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
Arc'teryx Sidewinder AR has most of the things you are wanting. I love mine for skiing.

Mike
Except the pockets.

Mike, the skis are great...heading up to VT today.
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post
Except the pockets.
The AR has two roomy side pockets, two chest pockets (one on the inside and one on the outside) and a pocket on the sleeve. Plenty. The hood stowes and does not detatch and which makes the colar bulky and anoying in my opinion - but it's always there when needed. It's a great shell, but there are tons of other options out there.
post #6 of 29
I've got a ~20 year old North Face anorak that fits your specifications to a T...but it's not for sale. I'm planning on wearing it on the slopes this weekend, unless it actually rains, as threatened.

The closest thing to what I've got in their current line is the Steep Tech Apogee jacket.
post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the help guys. Price isn't really an option. I've been putting off buying a jacket for a while so I could spend a good bit o' change. The lots of pockets are a must. I have to carry a lot of gear around at any given time, even when I'm not working. I know most resorts provide jackets for their employees and they have a lot of pockets. Does anybody know who makes those?
post #8 of 29
well i know tremblant in quebec gives their employees a blue, full goretex jacket with mega amounts of pockets.By North Face. fully seamed sealed, and awesome design. it has a big TREMBLANT emblem on its back.

btw. just a note, if your looking for a jacket with any goretex level on it, you'll never get a removable hood. Jackets with Goretex on it, doesn't have a removable hood, always has waterproof zippers, fully taped seams, and has zipper hoods(when zipper is put up, there is a little house it goes into) Goretex also limits the amount of seams, and there for also limits how many pockets are on the outside, as they are all weak points on a jacket. However, goretex jackets have a massive internal pocket system, that you would like, if you didn't mind unzipping yourself.

have fun jacket shopping.
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohname420 View Post
well i know tremblant in quebec gives their employees a blue, full goretex jacket with mega amounts of pockets.By North Face. fully seamed sealed, and awesome design. it has a big TREMBLANT emblem on its back.

btw. just a note, if your looking for a jacket with any goretex level on it, you'll never get a removable hood. Jackets with Goretex on it, doesn't have a removable hood, always has waterproof zippers, fully taped seams, and has zipper hoods(when zipper is put up, there is a little house it goes into) Goretex also limits the amount of seams, and there for also limits how many pockets are on the outside, as they are all weak points on a jacket. However, goretex jackets have a massive internal pocket system, that you would like, if you didn't mind unzipping yourself.

have fun jacket shopping.
The Cloedveil RPK is Goretex & has a removeable hood. It also has one more inside chest pocket than my Sidewinder. However, the hood does not fit over a healmet as easily as on the Sidewinder. It is also a little warmer since it has a thin lining.
post #10 of 29
My Cloudveil 2007' has a few pockets, is Goretex and has a removeable hood. Not sure which model it is. I won't wear it when it's cold.
My old North Face 1998' is still the best parka I own, it's fadded but is still the wamest, is 3 layer Gretex the hood rolls into the collar and has a ton of pockets. Doesn't have a powder skirt but that has never been issue even when I took it old west, it also has pit zips. When it's single digits or below I'll choose this everytime.
My Spyder 2001' is not goretex but has 14 pockets on the out side, plus inside ones, a removable hood and a few vents.
My Sidewinder, 2002' (hand me down from my son) is a good rain coat as a daily wear jacket, with a fleece under it but I only ski in it if it's warm, not many pockets, the hood is small, not detatchable.
My new Marker 2008' has most of the features your looking for, nice collar, removable hood, lots of pockets, pass holder, skirt, vents fits well but is lightly insulated, I still wear a fleece under it on most day's or I adjust the second layer to a heavier turtle neck or 100wt micro fleece.

Marshall's, $170. I doubt it's goretex but water does bead up on it.
post #11 of 29
what about the westcomb? Anyone tried them?
post #12 of 29
One solution would be to buy two shells and wear both to achieve the required number of pockets.

Why do you want to store gear in pockets? Why not get a pack of some type? Overall my impression is that storing lots of stuff in pockets is a bad solution. It cause the cloting to not fit properly and become uncomfortable. This is especially so if the items are bulkier or an individaul pocket contains more than about 1lb weight... its just not pactical. IMO.
post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post
One solution would be to buy two shells and wear both to achieve the required number of pockets.

Why do you want to store gear in pockets? Why not get a pack of some type? Overall my impression is that storing lots of stuff in pockets is a bad solution. It cause the cloting to not fit properly and become uncomfortable. This is especially so if the items are bulkier or an individaul pocket contains more than about 1lb weight... its just not pactical. IMO.
This is a big thing for me. I carry around so much stuff that I end up stuffing them all into 3-5 pockets and it gets really bulky and cumbersome.

Well here's an example of what I have to carry on me at any time. I do use a backpack but that's for other bigger things. I need to have a lot of stuff accesible on my person at any time. Here's what I have in my pockets on any given day: my phone, ipod, headphones, wallet, keys, bag of pretzels/doritos, nalgene bottle, sandwich or soup, chapstick, climbing and medical tape, salve, hand/foot warmers, binoculars, hole punch, ticket stubs and fake tickets, sunglasses, goggles, sunscreen, sharpie, camera, extra maps, kleenex, knife, and probably a handful of other things that I've forgotten. You can see how it would be nice to not have to shove all of this stuff into 3-5 pockets.
post #14 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post
One solution would be to buy two shells and wear both to achieve the required number of pockets.

Why do you want to store gear in pockets? Why not get a pack of some type? Overall my impression is that storing lots of stuff in pockets is a bad solution. It cause the cloting to not fit properly and become uncomfortable. This is especially so if the items are bulkier or an individaul pocket contains more than about 1lb weight... its just not pactical. IMO.
This is a big thing for me. I carry around so much stuff that I end up stuffing them all into 3-5 pockets and it gets really bulky and cumbersome.

Well here's an example of what I have to carry on me at any time. I do use a backpack but that's for other bigger things. I need to have a lot of stuff accesible on my person at any time. Here's what I have in my pockets on any given day: my phone, ipod, headphones, wallet, keys, bag of pretzels/doritos, nalgene bottle, sandwich or soup, chapstick, climbing and medical tape, salve, hand/foot warmers, binoculars, hole punch, ticket stubs and fake tickets, sunglasses, goggles, sunscreen, sharpie, camera, extra maps, kleenex, knife, walkie talkie and probably a handful of other things that I've forgotten. You can see how it would be nice to not have to shove all of this stuff into 3-5 pockets.
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post
The Cloedveil RPK is Goretex & has a removeable hood. It also has one more inside chest pocket than my Sidewinder. However, the hood does not fit over a healmet as easily as on the Sidewinder. It is also a little warmer since it has a thin lining.

is the cloudveil RPK a Winter 09 model? or something from before 2008? and is it a specific ski jacket? thats odd, through my training at sporting life, goretex came in and explained all that stuff. maybe they have some exceptions.
post #16 of 29
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhousebum View Post
This is a big thing for me. I carry around so much stuff that I end up stuffing them all into 3-5 pockets and it gets really bulky and cumbersome.

Well here's an example of what I have to carry on me at any time. I do use a backpack but that's for other bigger things. I need to have a lot of stuff accesible on my person at any time. Here's what I have in my pockets on any given day: my phone, ipod, headphones, wallet, keys, bag of pretzels/doritos, nalgene bottle, sandwich or soup, chapstick, climbing and medical tape, salve, hand/foot warmers, binoculars, hole punch, ticket stubs and fake tickets, sunglasses, goggles, sunscreen, sharpie, camera, extra maps, kleenex, knife, and probably a handful of other things that I've forgotten. You can see how it would be nice to not have to shove all of this stuff into 3-5 pockets.

What...no kitchen sink ? lol
post #18 of 29
powerhousebum, please pricate message your e-mail address to me and I'll e-mail to you photos showing the jacket that has all the pockets you'll ever need and all the features for which you've asked.
post #19 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Capacity View Post
What...no kitchen sink ? lol
That's in my backpack
post #20 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboe View Post
powerhousebum, please pricate message your e-mail address to me and I'll e-mail to you photos showing the jacket that has all the pockets you'll ever need and all the features for which you've asked.
I know what it looks like. I still don't think that will be enough. I'm going to go try it on today or tomorrow though, and if I like it I'll let you know.
post #21 of 29
Thread Starter 
I'm going out shopping for my jacket tomorrow, any more suggestions?
post #22 of 29
Am looking for +/- the same thing, my advice: look at the fit first, then the other options.
Read the positive reviews on Arc'Teryx Sidewinder and Stinger, tried them on shop: fit doesn't work with me.

Always have been pleased with Mountain Hardware stuff: have a look at their Vertical (shell) and Kramer (softshell) jackets.

Other brand that wasn't mentionned and delivers high quality: Eider.
post #23 of 29
Might be worth it to contact a custom tailor.

http://beyondclothing.com/ has been reviewed positively here on epic. Might be worth a look.
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohname420 View Post
is the cloudveil RPK a Winter 09 model? or something from before 2008? and is it a specific ski jacket? thats odd, through my training at sporting life, goretex came in and explained all that stuff. maybe they have some exceptions.
It is the 09 model. Says Goretex on the sleeve.
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhousebum View Post
So I finally trashed my current jacket enough that it could not be duck taped back together and I need to get a new one. I'm not really savvy when it comes to newer ski gear and would appreciate any suggestions. I'm looking for a jacket that has/is :
1) A Shell (NOT an insulated jacket)
2) Wind and water proof
3) Lots of pockets, both inside and out. The pulls for the zippers need to be big enough so I can open them with gloves on. I don't consider 5 pockets a lot. I work at a local ski mountain and need to carry a bunch of gear on me at any given time.
4) Powder skirt
5) Cinchable waist
6) Removable hood that can cinch down over my head and also Velcro's under the chin
7) Collar that has some soft fabric in it so I don't get an itchy chin/neck
8) Arm Vents, chest vents, the more vents the better.

I've looked at the SeV Quantum Jacket but I'd rather not have to wait for it to be delivered. I'm also not sure if it would even work as a ski jacket.

Thanks in advance for any input. Cheers.

You should cruise Ebay for one of those old Scot Schmidt Steep Tech jackets. Except for the waterproof/windproof part, Steep Tech has all you're looking for and more.
post #26 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
Am looking for +/- the same thing, my advice: look at the fit first, then the other options.
Read the positive reviews on Arc'Teryx Sidewinder and Stinger, tried them on shop: fit doesn't work with me.

Always have been pleased with Mountain Hardware stuff: have a look at their Vertical (shell) and Kramer (softshell) jackets.

Other brand that wasn't mentionned and delivers high quality: Eider.
I've heard good things about the kramer, any idea how many pockets there are, I didn't see one today otherwise I would have tried it on and probably bought it.
post #27 of 29
Thread Starter 
Well I looked for a jacket with no success. I did however get a nice pair of swany gloves as a consolation surprise. Going out tonight and probably tomorrow to look some more.
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Capacity View Post
My new Marker 2008' has most of the features your looking for, nice collar, removable hood, lots of pockets, pass holder, skirt, vents fits well but is lightly insulated, I still wear a fleece under it on most day's or I adjust the second layer to a heavier turtle neck or 100wt micro fleece.

Marshall's, $170. I doubt it's goretex but water does bead up on it.
I just picked up the same jacket at a TJ MAXX in NJ (no tax) on clearance for 119. Very nice. It's not Goretex, it's Entrant Dermizax, whichtests pretty close to Goretex XCR in Lab Tests. I hope it does becasue The amount of moisture that collects on the inside of my current hardshell makes it hard for me to go back out after lunch.

Marshalls/TJ Maxx have sick stuff this year. Cloudveil and Marmot softshells, Spyder, Marker, Atomic hard shells and a few others. The nicest looking jacket I saw there was a Bonfire softshell made from schoeller streatch fabric(extra small of course). There was also a smattering of other brands: Karbon, Helly Hansen, North Face and the perenial non-favorite: columbia. Eveything is now on clearance. Good selection of gloves and base-layers as well but they are now thinned out. A ton of cheap bolle goggles (great for kids or an extra).

With the economy the way it is, next season will be a bumper crop of high-end ski gear at budget prices.
post #29 of 29
Thread Starter 
Well, I settled on the Mt. Hardware Kramer Jacket. It had everything I wanted and just enough space to fit most of what I needed. Thanks for all the help all. I'll be checking out TJ Maxx for a second jacket if I can find it for the right price though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion