or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Giro Tune-Ups

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Does anyone have the giro tune ups/audio system in their helmets? I am curious whether the wind causes issues with volume/sound versus just using regular ear buds.
post #2 of 23
I have the bluetooth tune ups.

Works great. In fact, I have to keep it at low volumes otherwise I can't hear conversation (which can be a good thing depending on who else is on the chairlift).

i LOVE the bluetooth phone feature. No more cold hands from fielding calls. It's so easy to use that I've actually received calls on the slopes without missing a turn.

Keep in mind that the BT model still requires a wired connection to the music source. Only the phone works via BT. Also, and I found out the hard way after wading through Giro tech support, the volume feature on the ear unit doesn't work - despite the instructions in the manual claiming the opposite. Volume still needs to be controlled via the music source.
post #3 of 23
I have the non-bluetooth version and the volume control does work on that. I love the tune-ups and wouldn't use ear buds now.
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by COSkiGirl View Post
I have the non-bluetooth version and the volume control does work on that. I love the tune-ups and wouldn't use ear buds now.
Dito, if you don't ski with a helmet get skull candy icons(what I use when i don't ride with a helmet, rare)
post #5 of 23
I also have the old fashioned wired version, great stuff. I love the in line mute button, I can usually mute my tunes with my chin.
Its useful to the point that mine was getting a bit crackly and instead of just getting a cheapo 1/8" cable to replace it, I cracked it opened and re-soldered the connection (major PITA cause its so small). It is really really useful.

Sound quality is decent, loud enough, but I can usually still hear those around me.
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by vail2008 View Post
Does anyone have the giro tune ups/audio system in their helmets? I am curious whether the wind causes issues with volume/sound versus just using regular ear buds.
I have a Giro Bad Leutenant with tune up (wired, not bluetooth)...
Besides that the cable it's a bit of a hassle, I've modified my cell phone earplugs to plug into the Tune-ups cable, it's really noice.
I can use the cell if need be and listen to the music/radio (ok, it's a nokia 6151)
Sound quality is very good, no problem at all. I like also the "mute" button...
Cable release 2.0 will be to plug the phone cable directly into the helmet receptacle...working on.
post #7 of 23
Plus, the capability to listen to outside sources it's not as impaired as it will be with "regular" earplugs (of course when the sound is off).
Also, the comfort aspect, a big difference!
I'm very satisfied.
post #8 of 23
Heh, I led a team that designed a system like this for an "inventive design" class about 4 years ago (included both the engineering side as well as the business side). Of course, right when we got into the home stretch of the project... 2 or 3 of the companies came out with them as commercial products.

Of course, this is after the rest of the team disagreed with me as to the commercial viability of such a product (licensed to a helmet company) and wanted to scrap the project entirely... oh, and we had 3 or 4 ski areas (vail, steamboat, killington, and stowe iirc?) tell us they were very against it and would even consider banning it from their mountains

(Waiting for my Omen Audio to come in the mail this week, when it does I'll let you know if the wired version works with the iphone at all or if it's just audio and no phone)
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmblur View Post
oh, and we had 3 or 4 ski areas (vail, steamboat, killington, and stowe iirc?) tell us they were very against it and would even consider banning it from their mountains
Interesting.

While I enjoy the music, and I keep my volume low, I do see the potential hazard. Particularly amongst the snowboarders who can't hear me yell "on your left" on the catwalks when I pass them on the heelside
post #10 of 23
That was basically their reasoning. Of course, it would be a VERY difficult thing to police (is somebody really going to notice little tiny in-ear buds like my Shure SE102s when threaded up my back under my jacket and under a hat?). Our "marketing angle" to get it approved by the ski areas is that it would encourage helmet use among the teen population.
post #11 of 23
Love mine!

I have the Tune Ups II with the phone connect. All worked as advertised with my Nokia. However, switching to a Sony Ericsson phone left me a little disappointed as they don't make an adapter for it yet and the adapter that came with the phone requires another adapter to go from the phone mini on the Tune Ups cord to the regular headphone mini on the Sony adapter. Bleh. No more controlling the phone from the cable.
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmblur View Post

(Waiting for my Omen Audio to come in the mail this week, when it does I'll let you know if the wired version works with the iphone at all or if it's just audio and no phone)
It will be audio only with the wired kit and the iPhone. I just ordered the bluetooth setup so I can use my phone also.

The sound is not as good as a $150 pair of earbuds, but its more comfortable to wear all day with the tuneups.

My jacket hits the mute button often and I always think something has just broken.
post #13 of 23
Figured as much. Might have to try and jury-rig something... I think the MPA piece from my Shures should do the trick... although I'll end up with an absurdly long cord.
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmblur View Post
... although I'll end up with an absurdly long cord.
That's what happening to me (tune ups cable + nokia cable = about 1 meter...I feel "wired" and hope no policeman would think I'm a kamikaze planning to burst a mountain hut full of people)
post #15 of 23
I find my old-school wired tune-ups to produce great quality sound. You may need one volume setting for the chair and one for screaming down the (uncrowded) hill. The very last thing I want to see or hear on the mountain is my damn cell phone, so no bluetooth...
Safety is common sense - don't use sound in a situation where you need to hear others - crowded runs, lift lines, etc. Otherwise, a sound track adds a lot to my skiing experience, although the silence in the woods is still appreciated.
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
Keep in mind that the BT model still requires a wired connection to the music source. Only the phone works via BT. Also, and I found out the hard way after wading through Giro tech support, the volume feature on the ear unit doesn't work - despite the instructions in the manual claiming the opposite. Volume still needs to be controlled via the music source.
Both untrue. I have the wireless tune-ups setup, and the bluetooth works just fine with music. Thing is, your music source has to transmit a bluetooth signal. iPod's don't do this on their own, but companies like Jabra make adaptors that will put out the signal the helmet is trying to recieve.

It IS true that the volume AND track adjustments on the earpieces don't work IF you are using a wired music source, but they do if your using the bluetooth. They are my favorite thing about this whole setup!
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
Both untrue. I have the wireless tune-ups setup, and the bluetooth works just fine with music. Thing is, your music source has to transmit a bluetooth signal. iPod's don't do this on their own, but companies like Jabra make adaptors that will put out the signal the helmet is trying to recieve.

It IS true that the volume AND track adjustments on the earpieces don't work IF you are using a wired music source, but they do if your using the bluetooth. They are my favorite thing about this whole setup!
Apparently you know more than the folks at Giro and Motorola, which isn't surprising considering I was shuffled to 5 different reps. Finally, somebody told me that BT music isn't supported.

What you are saying makes sense but requires additional purchase of a BT ipod adaptor. Good to know.
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
Apparently you know more than the folks at Giro and Motorola, which isn't surprising considering I was shuffled to 5 different reps. Finally, somebody told me that BT music isn't supported.

What you are saying makes sense but requires additional purchase of a BT ipod adaptor. Good to know.
Definitely will play music wirelessly. It's too bad their customer service told you that it won't. The past two seasons I have used an ipod nano with the Jabra A125, which plugs into the ipod connection and then transmits the signal to the headphones.


I have traded my ipod in for a Sirius Stiletto 2 this season, and will be getting a different Jabra adapter to use with it. There aren't that many options, but I have found the A210, which will plug into the headphone jack and transmit bluetooth.


I don't know from experience, but I would imagine that phones/pda's which support bluetooth AND play music would work with this headset too.

The adapters run from about $15-$40 depending on what deal you can find.
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
I don't know from experience, but I would imagine that phones/pda's which support bluetooth AND play music would work with this headset too.
iPhones definitely do not support BT music. That's a firmware limitation of the phone. I've checked user forums and the lack of support is a source of resentment.


The story gets better...the first time I called Giro, they told me that all questions had to go through Motorola. I spent 40 minutes on the phone with 3 different Motorola reps and was finally told "we did not release this product in the United States and therefore we cannot help you." Even a discussion with a supervisor was worthless. I called Giro again and got hold of a supervisor who apologized profusely. She's the one who told me that BT music was not supported although she admitted that she wasn't an expert and suggested I call Motorola.

Ugh
post #20 of 23
I have the wired version for ipod and phone in my Omen and G10, and enjoy it all the time.
post #21 of 23
JayPowHound,

I just wanted to thank you for the BT info.

I found out that my Treo supports BT music. I just needed to spend $25 on a program which supports a type of file transfer called A2DP. I now have 2GB of music loaded on a SD card and both my phone & music work flawlessly with full control from the earphones.

Cheers


PS: For those interested, the iPhone currently does NOT support A2DP AFAIK so no BT music for iPhone users (like my wife).
post #22 of 23
only problem i found with the tune ups is that when someone calls my phone, it doesnt ring through the ear peices and its vibration isnt that great so i can't really tell when someones calling. but i do like that i can push the button and get the voice recognition up and tell it to call people, thats sick

of course, i look like much more a tool that those poeple walking on the streets with bluetooth in, im talking to my collar with a ski helmet on and no one around...
post #23 of 23

Did you ever just maybe happen to figure out the "pinout" (the way the wire is connected to the 4 conductor, 2.5mm jack) of the original, wired Tuneups?  I need it to make an adaptor so my Droid phone works with it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Gear Reviews