New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jackson Hole, Jan. 19-24, 2009 - Page 5

post #121 of 146
Bob, if you have an alternate, please suggest. I think most will want to watch the games and the MM is a bit crazy. I think if there's a better place to watch and meet, I would prefer that.
post #122 of 146
I didn't realize they were going to mail it out to me, but my 3 of 4 day lift pass arrived in the mail today!!

Does it make me a gaper if I put it on now and wear it around for the next few days?
post #123 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvemeister View Post
Aha! That sounds an awful lot like my Head IM78's Same exact dimensions except for 1mm underfoot. The review is very much how I'd describe the Head as well. An awesome, stable ripper almost everywhere. Great on hardpack and good in bumps too. I skied the 182 last year for a week in Eastern BC and loved it. The only problem it had was a slight bit of twitchyness in powder or heavy crud due to the deep sidecut.

So those baby's are definitely going at this point unless the forecast changes by Sunday.
There is very little similarity to the way the head 77 skis and this Hart. Nothing against the Head, but this Hart smokes it.


Skies are packed on my end...

Phil:
Blizzard Magnum 8.7 IQ 5.14TT
K2 PBR Rocker Jester

Lola:
Blizzard Viva 7.6 IQ 4.12TT
Blizzard Eos IQ (shared binding with above)


Conflicting weather reports so far...weather.com has it "upper 30's and Bluebird" for most of the week.
post #124 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
Bob, if you have an alternate, please suggest. I think most will want to watch the games and the MM is a bit crazy. I think if there's a better place to watch and meet, I would prefer that.
Two other possibilities:

The Bistro at the Alpenhof (next building to the right from the tram building as you're looking up the mountain from the parking lot). It's on the second floor, up the stairs. I know they have tv's, but they're probably not as big or prevalent as the MM.

The Cascade bar in the Teton Mountain Lodge. TML is kind of slightly uphill (past the pond) from the Moose and the bar is on the ground level, valley side rather than mountain side. If I remember to do it, I'll try to check both before I leave the mountain today.

We go to the Bistro regularly. Much quieter and less annoying than the Moose.
post #125 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
Two other possibilities:

The Bistro at the Alpenhof (next building to the right from the tram building as you're looking up the mountain from the parking lot). It's on the second floor, up the stairs. I know they have tv's, but they're probably not as big or prevalent as the MM.

The Cascade bar in the Teton Mountain Lodge. TML is kind of slightly uphill (past the pond) from the Moose and the bar is on the ground level, valley side rather than mountain side. If I remember to do it, I'll try to check both before I leave the mountain today.

We go to the Bistro regularly. Much quieter and less annoying than the Moose.
I read back through this and it seems that some of you will be starting to watch games at 1:30pm? If that's the case, you ought to be able to get a table or stake out some space at the Moose. Why don't you just go to the Moose and I'll plan to show up at 4:00pm and look for you.

I'll be wearing a Head baseball cap. It's the only one I've ever seen in Jackson. Just yell at me.
post #126 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
There is very little similarity to the way the head 77 skis and this Hart. Nothing against the Head, but this Hart smokes it.
Nice! Sounds like a great ski there.
post #127 of 146
Thread Starter 
Bob's Head hat and my 180 cm Hart Stage One Fulies will be unique in JH next week! Pending on time arrival on Sunday by Delta, any further discussion of these issues must be resolved in the MM during the EAGLES game.
post #128 of 146

SAY IT AIN'T SO!

I just found this page here that, if I'm reading it right, says the 11:15 am temp. today in/on Rendezvous Bowl is 47 degrees!

http://www.avalanche.org/~wxstns/jhnet/rvbowl2.txt

Say it ain't so!

What is this? Big fat inversion? Sounds like things will get pretty gnarly all over for next week if this is true. Anybody have any first hand reports before I pack my skis for the final time.

Slalom skis in the bag - slalom skis out - slalom skis in...out... My arms are getting tired!
post #129 of 146
I don't know...allow me to calm down a bit...maybe

However, further plots say this for the same time today:
JH Summit - 40
JH Midstation - 27
JH Base - 6
post #130 of 146
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvemeister View Post
I don't know...allow me to calm down a bit...maybe

However, further plots say this for the same time today:
JH Summit - 40
JH Midstation - 27
JH Base - 6
Carve,

Weather Channel 10 day tells me to pack a lot of sun tan lotion. If ya gotta bring a second pair, SL's seem like a better choice. I'm still a one still quiver guy! It is what it is.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/healt...pnav_allergies
post #131 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Proof View Post
Carve,
Weather Channel 10 day tells me to pack a lot of sun tan lotion.
I don't really find weather.com all that accurate sometimes. My best guess is to go with what they're saying here, which would indicate that (as Bob said earlier) surface conditions should hopefully remain somewhat on the soft/packed powder side in most places.

I'm hoping the low Jan. sun angle and relatively brief spike into the upper 30's or more won't be enough to cause a freeze/thaw surface. Not that I can't enjoy zippy frozen corduroy now and then but I've been studying Bob's Guides all week for a reason - I want to do plenty of spelunking up there!

There still seems to be a chance for some light (or better) snow before the week ends though.

post #132 of 146
I was on top of Rendezvous Bowl at almost exactly noon today and I'm not sure that 47-degree reading is entirely accurate.

It was warm up there, don't get me wrong, but I just can't believe it was actually 47. At noon, the snow was just barely starting to soften on the most direct sun-facing part of the bowl. (I had done four earlier trams and the snow still had nighttime frost on it.)

Unless it gets WAY warmer this afternoon (I'm obviously in my office now rather than on the hill), the snow should stay just fine. I did five runs on Rendezvous Bowl and three lower faces this morning and I thought the skiing was good all the way down - as long as you know the right ways down. It isn't powder, but it's pretty dang good skier-packed.

There's no new snow, but all this sunshine sure has been pretty.
post #133 of 146
Thanks for the update Bob.

So we're talking nice "vermontish" type packed powder in most places?

Does the route such as you described typically involve lots of bumps at the moment?

What's your ski of choice for most of this right now?
post #134 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvemeister View Post
Thanks for the update Bob.

So we're talking nice "vermontish" type packed powder in most places?

Does the route such as you described typically involve lots of bumps at the moment?

What's your ski of choice for most of this right now?
1. I've never skied in Vermont, so I'm not sure. I suspect it's nowhere near as hard as Vermont snow because I've always heard about Eastern snow being stuff you can see your reflection in . This snow is relatively hard but easily edgeable.

2. Bumps in many places but what I would call small bumps. I'm no big fan of moguls, so I usually try to avoid them if possible. I did a whole lot of skiing this morning (5 trams and 2 gondolas) and only did "real" bumps on two short sections and those were by choice rather than by necessity.

3. Head SuperShape Magnum 177cm. (But that's my ski of choice about 80% of the time when I'm freeskiing. Practically everybody else riding the tram was on fat skis. again)
post #135 of 146
Thanks Bob, that should do it. Time to pack. I hope to catch up with you and/or the others next week for a couple runs. We'll be out there skiing on Tuesday.

Yeeehaa!
post #136 of 146
I went to GT today. The snow really was not bad at all. Packed powder with some hardpack underneath on the groomers. Slightly heavier crud off-piste. Tracked powder (ok, called it fluffy crud) in the trees and away from the sun. 18F at the bottom, but the sun did soften some areas in the afternoon.
Beautiful bluebird day and the skiing was still good.
post #137 of 146
kawo - I'm jealous... hope your getting some good runs in before the rest of us get out there. If all goes well I should be arriving tomorrow afternoon. Planning to head to the MM sometime before 4 to meet up & catch the games. Can't wait!
post #138 of 146
Not sure where we are going to catch the game, but will try for 'The Moose'. We will be arriving about 12:30 MT today, to the Moose sometime in the 1st quarter. I will be in a Dabello/Blizzard vest.
post #139 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
I'm no big fan of moguls, so I usually try to avoid them if possible.
In a prominent interview, the Great Doug Coombs was asked:

"Doug what is your strategy for skiing the bumps"? He answered...

"I don't ski 'em, you shouldn't..." That is the general sentiment here in JH. I avoid them like the plague.

Considering the conditions the mountain is skiing great. Things have been softening up during the day and the inversion is just great. Skiing the lower mountain the last few days has been a terrible sentence- considering the upper mountain has been at least 25-30F warmer.
post #140 of 146
In case anyone is interested, I am most likely selling my Head SS Mags, they are up here with me. This season's, 170
post #141 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
In case anyone is interested, I am most likely selling my Head SS Mags, they are up here with me. This season's, 170
Gee, there's a shock
post #142 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
In case anyone is interested, I am most likely selling my Head SS Mags, they are up here with me. This season's, 170
And I, my Blizzard Magnum 8.7's

overcast here in Denver right now, will be boarding to JH in 20 min.
post #143 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
In case anyone is interested, I am most likely selling my Head SS Mags, they are up here with me. This season's, 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
Gee, there's a shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
And I, my Blizzard Magnum 8.7's
Whoda thunk it :
Quote:
overcast here in Denver right now, will be boarding to JH in 20 min.
Think he got on the plane at Denver this time?
post #144 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
Whoda thunk it :

Think he got on the plane at Denver this time?
I just wanted to say that your performance in the peanut gallery these past few weeks has been exemplary.
post #145 of 146
9:30 meeting at the Gondie today.
post #146 of 146
From the web cams it looks like a beautiful bluebird day in the village. Can't wait to join you. Headed out tomorrow!



Phil and Finn - can you ski up to the mid-mountain camera and hold those skis up? I'd like to get a better view of them, see if I need to bring my checkbook!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home